Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Riding the Dragon  (Read 36960 times)

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
Riding the Dragon
« on: February 22, 2015, 07:06:04 PM »
My son Dylan lives and works in Chattanooga now and has that SV650 I bought him 4 years ago.  He rides the "Dragon" which is apparently 11 miles of twisties in the mountains with 311 turns.  He has good riding gear and drags his knee and stuff and has been down a couple of times.  Not injured, just scratched the paint. 

He wants me to take the Busa down there and ride that road with him.  I cannot imagine 311 turns in 11 miles.  Especially with a 1441 kit on that bike.  I would likely overpower the rubber in the turns and slide out.  Should I just leave it stock for a season with maybe 185-190 RWHP with Brock's stuff on it and a loss of 60 lbs in parts.  Or should I go ahead and put the big bore kit and cams on it anyways?  Now I face a bit of a quandry.  Remember, I have not ridden in over two years. Dang, I hate to let 11 miles of road dictate my HP.

Should I have gotten this instead?  I hope not.   Bike makes 152 on the dyno with 98 ft lbs. Wet weight is around 440ish.  I would looke like a monkey on a football with that sucker and I hate the angular designs. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:59:00 PM by Ghost-Geezer »
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
Re: Riding the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:54:38 PM »
I would leave it stock.

Even 50 HP would be to much with a ham fisted rider, where a smooth rider would be fine with 400 HP.
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »
However I would get it mapped to smooth it out, even though the a stock Busa is really good.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »
Brock's provided a "street map" on the PCV sent with their full ti pipe and the carbon can.  I have been known to be "ham fisted" in the past, but that was then and this is now.  Stock to Brock it should make 185-188 or so at the wheel without any motor work.  And it will be 60 lbs lighter than a stocker with the BST's and the pipe and the Lithium Battery, alloy sprocket, Brock clutch mod, etc.  A 526 lb curb weight with 185 at the wheel seems like it might be more than enuf to get me around.  I just have always liked the larger numbers in the past.  Maybe I need to get some seat time in before I do anything else to that motorcycle.  After all "A good man has got to know his limitations", yes?

Frankly, the Dragon puts fear in me.  I would likely crawl up it and get passed by everything out there with the exception of a few Harley dressers and such.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:53:20 PM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:38:34 PM »
Brock's provided a "street map" on the PCV sent with their full ti pipe and the carbon can.  I have been known to be "ham fisted" in the past, but that was then and this is now.  Stock to Brock it should make 185-188 or so at the wheel without any motor work.  And it will be 60 lbs lighter than a stocker with the BST's and the pipe and the Lithium Battery, alloy sprocket, Brock clutch mod, etc.  A 526 lb curb weight with 185 at the wheel seems like it might be more than enuf to get me around.  I just have always liked the larger numbers in the past.  Maybe I need to get some seat time in before I do anything else to that motorcycle.  After all "A good man has got to know his limitations", yes?

:thumb: :thumb:  Sounds like a plan! 
-Abraham Lincoln

Online Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 09:45:40 PM »
I would leave it stock.

Even 50 HP would be to much with a ham fisted rider, where a smooth rider would be fine with 400 HP.

...400 HP.  Now (that's) funny!  IME, only hairpins give the Busa trouble no matter how many ponies it has.  I've ridden what I call the west coast Dragon, where hiway 1 leaves the Pacific and ends at hiway 101 at Leggett.  Lots and lots of turns and elevation changes on a tree lined two lane.  It's so...satisfying, I've turned around and ridden it the other direction!  Great road!  If you haven't ridden in two years I'd be cautious on the dragon and the throttle.  That SV is a perfect bike for the dragon.  My daughter had one.  Same size motor as a Bonneville but lighter, with a better tranny, brakes and suspension.  Nice and narrow and very flickable.  Have fun!
Ride em if ya got em

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:45:52 AM »
sold one of my bikes and picked up a 2011 cbr 600 just for the dragon.

be careful up there you can't really see through the turns and never know whats coming in the other direction... bike in your lane, car in your lane, truck n camper in both lanes...

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3w8BOO1C3I

I refuse to do that shit!!!  It looks like a fuggin' nightmare!!!  I think I will go down in my Fusion instead.  Screw the turns.  Sweepers are OK, those aint sweepers.  Like the man said "You ain't Wild Bill Hickock, and this ain't Dodge City."  Well, I ain't no gunfighter and I know it.  I fold.  Just like a wet dishrag.
You guys are too good for me.  And I am too old to get busted up again.  That's a fact, Jack!!! 

Davey   

P.S. My kid is 24 and a good rider and he has crashed twice up there, once on each side.   No, I will take a lesson this time and back off.  Sometimes a healthy dose of fear is the better part of valor. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:08:51 AM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
if you do end up going on the bike, just take it real easy and you will be fine. dont try to keep up with anyone go at your own pace (or slower)

I've been a few times and will be going back in may, and will go through there on my way to sturgis in aug

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:05:04 PM »
Yu are right "Bagus", I will ride at my own pace as long as the fast guys don't run up my ass and knock me down. 

Sturgis!!  I envy you, have never been.  Been to Daytona, but not Sturgis.  My buddy Freddie Robbins "won" Sturgis last year in his Harley Class.
He built a nice turbo-Harley (if there is suck a thing).

In all honesty and humility, I know my bike (which I have not picked up yet) will make it, but my butt..........another story entirely.

However, I could ride behind ya in the Fusion as a chase vehicle and carry all yer goods, clothes, spare boots, etc.

I could make that, I think, as long as ya kept it to 500 or less a day and average no more than 90 mph.......that is all she has got.   :wink:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline dadofthree

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 10:01:21 AM »
Ride your ride, maybe even make a pass or two in easy mode so there's no surprises like gravity cavity. Cherohala Skyway is the sweeper and is made for the Busa but has decreasing radius turns.  :bike:

Dude in the video lQQked like he got on the wet yellow painted line went boom.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 11:05:24 PM »
Tires were not warm, IMO.  Takes longer than a couple of scrubs and 4 miles to warm tires.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 08:08:45 PM »
Ride your ride, maybe even make a pass or two in easy mode so there's no surprises like gravity cavity. Cherohala Skyway is the sweeper and is made for the Busa but has decreasing radius turns.  :bike:

Dude in the video lQQked like he got on the wet yellow painted line went boom.
Like Clint Eastwood said a good man has got to know his limitations, if you do not pay real good attention to said limitations, and try to ride like someone your not, the dragon will remind you very fast and very painfully........and I don't know about the rest of you old farts, but after our usual run of the Parkway, Dragon, Cherohala, Tellico, and back to town, I want to lay down and sleep for a while, let alone do it again :grn:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 08:46:26 PM »

Tires were not warm, IMO. 

Takes longer than a couple of scrubs and 4 miles to warm tires.

Let a half pound of air out of them ~ if they still don't warm up then repeat .  .  .

:shock:
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »
Do you think 1/2 lb of air would have kept him from crashing?

I dont.  Never will.  Cuts it waaaaaaaaaay to thin for practicality sake. IMO

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 02:39:08 PM »
My son and his buddy rode the Dragon all day yesterday, his buddy crashed on a Gixxer 750.  He was not hurt but the bike was a bit wadded.  I just don't quite get it.  Gotta be a testosterone motivated hobby.   It is like a lot of people that ride that thing have to prove something, either to others or themselves.............I dunno.  It is dangerous.  Far more dangerous than drag-racing or LSR stuff in my opinion.  All it takes is a little moisture, a little oil from some big rig or a little sandy gravel...........tires, no matter how expensive, cannot overcome that scenario.  A "track day" would make more sense to me.

I say all this to a stretch of road 11 miles long with 318 curves.   That is a curve every 60 yards...........no sweepers...........no straights...........just blind curves where someone could easily meet ya on the yellow line.   :eek:

My friggin' driveway is 60 yards long - shhhhhhhhhhit.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:38:40 PM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »
Great pic and a great road...........with a small stretch of linear pavement ahead.  :tu:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 09:38:48 PM »
My son and his buddy rode the Dragon all day yesterday, his buddy crashed on a Gixxer 750.  He was not hurt but the bike was a bit wadded.  I just don't quite get it.  Gotta be a testosterone motivated hobby.   It is like a lot of people that ride that thing have to prove something, either to others or themselves.............I dunno.  It is dangerous.  Far more dangerous than drag-racing or LSR stuff in my opinion.  All it takes is a little moisture, a little oil from some big rig or a little sandy gravel...........tires, no matter how expensive, cannot overcome that scenario.  A "track day" would make more sense to me.

I say all this to a stretch of road 11 miles long with 318 curves.   That is a curve every 60 yards...........no sweepers...........no straights...........just blind curves where someone could easily meet ya on the yellow line.   :eek:

My friggin' driveway is 60 yards long - shhhhhhhhhhit.
Sorry to hear about your sons buddy, but at least its just us talking about it and its not on the police blotter, or him on a tray in the coroners fridge, and this is a perfect example about what I was saying, a dude or dudett rides over there head showing off and trying to prove whatever to whoever, and they will have parts hanging in the tree of shame, actualy crap in the road very rarely causes crashes up there, 90% of the time its just plain old fashion big balls and little brains, I do not push running that road, in fact its been a while since the Busa's been up there, we are on the Harley most of the time, kickstand and floorboards scrap warning you, that's about it, the GSXR's, Ninja's, ZX's are OK, the Itailian stuff is a little better, but if you have the ability, and really want to go fast up there you need one of those (super motards) dirt style bike with super sticky street/race tires,
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 10:05:57 PM »
What you say makes perfect sense, it sounds like what you and I are leading to Rocket, is the underlying truth about that friggin' stretch of Hi-Way.  Even a 750 sport bike goes down fairly easily.............Dylan was behind and had his camera on and he said his buddy just "washed out".......the back end came around and the bike was almost perpendicular to the road for an instant and then the front tire broke loose and he "low sided".

Regardless of that, my point here is that "The Dragon" can only be ridden to it's potential by a huge dirt bike with street tires.  That road is, in fact, a dirt track that is paved.  That is my assertion. 

Just a thought.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 05:51:10 AM »
What you say makes perfect sense, it sounds like what you and I are leading to Rocket, is the underlying truth about that friggin' stretch of Hi-Way.  Even a 750 sport bike goes down fairly easily.............Dylan was behind and had his camera on and he said his buddy just "washed out".......the back end came around and the bike was almost perpendicular to the road for an instant and then the front tire broke loose and he "low sided".

Regardless of that, my point here is that "The Dragon" can only be ridden to it's potential by a huge dirt bike with street tires.  That road is, in fact, a dirt track that is paved.  That is my assertion. 

Just a thought.
Dave, go make the run, then decide weather you like it or not, just treet all the curves like you have never been there, don't ride and get surprised by a tight curve, as most of them tighten up as your going around them, as far as the perfect bike to ride who knows like I said the super motards seem to do best as far as speed, but everything under the sun makes that run, trikes to scooters, jet bikes to mopeds, yes I did see one of those jet turbine deals at the store once, like I tell all when running it the first time, just DONT push, ride like theres a cop behind you

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
I'll ride like there is a cop in front of me.    :thumb:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 05:49:44 PM »
I'll ride like there is a cop in front of me.    :thumb:
Whatever works, I did forget one thing about riding the dragon, DO NOT try to show off for the dudes taking picture on the curves, every time I seen this the dude falls get scraped up and on top of that the photog guy has got a shitload of your crash pics :lol:

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »
 :lol2:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »
Been watchin' crashes on Youtube.  Very unforgiving road. 

"Step UP or Step Aside"