Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: What's the best set up for my busa?  (Read 6935 times)

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
What's the best set up for my busa?
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:41:45 PM »
How much over?
What tire pressure? I'm running a pilot power 2ct.
Ride height?
Any way to get weight to the rear without destroying the swing arm. I'm running a Mac arm.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
Re: What's the best set up for my busa?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:36:36 AM »
John,
              There are at least 10 guys on this board that can help you, unfortunately, I cannot.  You will get some good answers, of that I am sure.
Dave
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:38:32 AM by Ghost-Geezer »
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:45:25 AM »
Which event
Official Site Donor

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »
Speed week  :D. Salt.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
Does the pilot power say race on it? if not you cant run it at Speedweek. A long swingarm is not your friend on the salt. You can get about 80-100lbs of lead in an OEM swing arm, That is minimum on any high HP bike. Greg(Oz Booster) runs a lot more than that.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:23 AM »
You can get about 80-100lbs of lead in an OEM swing arm
I've never heard of that before,very interesting. So do you cut it open and then weld it back after pouring the molten lead in? Is this something thats beneficial for a high HP Busa on the street???
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:11 AM »
I drilled a hole in the top of the SA box, tapped it for a pipe plug, filled it with lead shot and put the plug in. You can also use one of the mud flap fastener holes. You have to weld up several places where the shot can escape. I cant speak to wether it would be beneficial on the street. It would improve traction but would be that much heaver, yeah i know duh.
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »
Ahh,lead shot. Gotcha. I epoxied quite a few lbs of that underneath a front fender on a bike back in the day. I learned something new today,thats some good info right there so thank you.
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »
Any time! :bike:
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »
Get a SCTA rule book , you will have to order it ,
For an online version that is pretty close  a DLRA book is available online here http://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm
But we adopt the SCTA rules a yr after they are current so its not up to date , i am not aware of any DLRA specific changes that would effect you

Turbo busa , your tire requirements are dictated by current records which are 247-253mph,in the 1350 class  i would look at BT003  if you have to replace your current tires

Weight is your best friend and worst enemy , you need it for traction, on a surface that varys from very firm beach sand to concrete with a bucket of sand thrown across it , but in the wrong place and in poor conditions can cause handling problems ,my bike with me on it weighs about 500kg , mass is fairly centralised , my swingarm is stock style+9" with lead shot in it and a weight box in front of the tire and extra bracing for strength , and i have ingots that bolt to the side of the swingarm,
we had to remove them last yr because wet salt and the extra mass at the rear created problems , but other yrs they were an advantage
Because of conditions its been a couple of yrs since a good run but at full weight i was wheelspinning at about 400hp above 250mph, basically brute forcing my way through the air
to go faster i need to improve my aero or add more weight , aero is the preferred option
not much scenery here but shows tire choice and traction problems we had in 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrbgNNETjBY

Official Site Donor

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 03:26:48 PM »
Man you have balls of steel holding it WFO on 6th like that for that long. Holy shit :shock:
Not to mention the bike running flawlessly wide open for that length of time also. Excellent stuff.
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 05:17:16 PM »
Damn, that tire came APART. My bike makes 400 hp and has no weights on it. Can you tell when it's spinning?

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the replies. This is making it all much easier to get my first year under way.

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 05:56:33 PM »
OK, looks like I need to wrap my fuel lines.
Also, I need to find out if my snel approved rf 1100 is 2005 or newer. It has no markings other than snell approved.
I also have to noodle out a way to get some weight on the swingarm.

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »
Found the helmet snell 2010 sticker. :thumb:

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »
Found the helmet snell 2010 sticker. :thumb:
I have the same helmet,ya gotta pull the friggin liner apart to find the damn sticker :evil:
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 09:30:01 PM »
Difficult to tell up to 10% wheel spin, 5-8 is pretty normal , but tires tear up fairly quick if its spinning much more than that
it sort of wiggles if your getting  wheelspin up to a point then the rpm just flares

Tech guys will have no hesitation pulling the liner to see the sticker , best you can point them where

Be carefull with the weights, Jen came off her bike last year with large weights at the swingarm in poor conditions, but i have seen Noonan with similar weights go real fast
try and keep the weight balance front to rear like the oem bike, , also same applies for vertical height , std bike has most of its weight at or above the axle line , i figure there was a reason for that   

Official Site Donor

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 09:55:05 PM »
Turbo and Oz,
                          You two are worse than Laurel and Hardy..............well, just about the same, make a decision for goodness sake.

I will say this.  I have seen guys put more weight in the swingarm for stability at speed and the weight invariably overcame the suspension and the bike

went into a rear end squirm and that was the end.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:58:00 PM by Ghost-Geezer »
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."