Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Texas Mile March 2015  (Read 20423 times)

Offline 05calibusa

• Rider
    • BusaBob's Racing
Re: Texas Mile March 2015
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
I have heard of the "dip", but have not found it and I don't want to.  However, I suppose it would be a bit less pronounced when you are ONLY going a little over two-hundee.  I stay about 10' off to the right of center line and it seems okay there.  Yep, the wind is definitely a factor there, sometimes working in your favor and sometimes not.  Let's hope for some great conditions...see you out there!
Bob
Mojave Mile 2014 - 205.6 mph
Mojave Magnum 2015 - 207.1 mph
BusaBob's Racing
https://sites.google.com/site/busabobsracing/home

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 11:23:21 AM »
I have run Mojave. It is a very good track. It does have a "little" dip down track. When Bill Warner's goal was 300mph. He made a few passes at Mojave and decided not to go for it there. Billy Shoemaker has the track record for a motorcycle at 269+, no problem. The crash that Scott is talking about, I think, tyhe bike was running a "dustbin" fairing, that has been illegal at Bonneville for years. That type of fairing is very unstable in windy conditions. And Mojave has some wind from hell.
We will be at Mojave next week hoping to run in the 230s. :D

That dip is the reason I'll never race at that track again. Plus the fact its so far from me. Maine is closer and a better track IMO.
I remember Bill telling me Mojave wasn't the track where he wanted to "push it."

I tried several changes on the bikes suspension. No matter what I did when the bike hit that dip at anything over 220 it would unload the chasis and spin the tire instantly running the bike up into the rev limiter. Didn't matter if it was myself or Jen at the controls. Jen and I both got in the club that weekend which was the goal. At the end we decided like Bill it was best to not "push it" any further at mojave.

I hope everyone going has a blast, goes fast and stays safe. I'll be glued to the computer for updates.
Good luck everyone.  :thumb:
2 Club member x 5
Bonneville, Loring, ECTA, Texas, Mojave

Offline 05calibusa

• Rider
    • BusaBob's Racing
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »
Ryan,
Where is it? I heard it's around the 3/4 mile mark.  Does it run across the track or just on one side of the line, etc...?
BusaBob's Racing

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
Ryan,
Where is it? I heard it's around the 3/4 mile mark.  Does it run across the track or just on one side of the line, etc...?

We couldn't find an area of the track where we could miss it. We made runs on different areas of the track. Starting far left and moving progressively to the right on each pass after that and I never found and area where we didn't hit it. You could see it in the data. RPM would just spike right up into the limiter.

The story we got is that it runs the entire width of the track and its for drainage. I'm not sure what it's there for but it's definitely there.
2 Club member x 5
Bonneville, Loring, ECTA, Texas, Mojave

Offline 05calibusa

• Rider
    • BusaBob's Racing
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
Okay, thanks for that info.  I'll bring it up in the riders meeting.  There's gonna be a lot of fast bikes out there!
BusaBob's Racing

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Bob, only found it once so far, rear unloaded and spun up a bit but not real bad. About 3/4 track, but never "found" it again.
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline 05calibusa

• Rider
    • BusaBob's Racing
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 04:04:50 PM »
Thanks Jim, I feel better now  :bike:
BusaBob's Racing

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 05:12:53 PM »
We, Brenda and I , have run in the 220s and never really noticed much of a dip. Of course she only weighs 115lbs, I weigh a little more than that. :hys:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 05:17:42 PM »
Scott,

I am aware of the speed concern you voice opinion over at Wilmington.  I have intentions of going very fast at Wilmington and look forward to breaking many records and holding the track record there.  I will be taking baby steps so that I can be sure that using traditional braking systems will stop me safely in the distances provided at Wilmington.  I also have been told that I would not be allowed to go much faster than 260 unless I could continually prove that I could stop safely which is my plan.  So basically, if I go 250 and stop safely, I would be allowed to try 260.  If I can stop safely from 260 and have total control over my bike, I would be allowed to attempt a faster speed.  But...the moment I am unable to stop safely at higher speeds due to my inability to safely control my bike, it only makes sense that I would either need to re-think my braking process, drogue ribbon chute deployment, or possibly a linked ABS braking system.  Either way, I won't stop trying to go fast.  I do believe however that only Loring provides the required braking distance for attempting 300mph in the 1 mile.

Your 265 runs at Maxton were very scary runs because if I remember correctly the long shutdown was used in it's entirety and well beyond to the wire barrier.  be that here nor there, Wilmington has a new owner on the team so things do change.  I do hope to see you again sometime at Wilmington, I miss your wife's cookies.

Guy
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 07:27:21 PM »
Scott,

I am aware of the speed concern you voice opinion over at Wilmington.  I have intentions of going very fast at Wilmington and look forward to breaking many records and holding the track record there.  I will be taking baby steps so that I can be sure that using traditional braking systems will stop me safely in the distances provided at Wilmington.  I also have been told that I would not be allowed to go much faster than 260 unless I could continually prove that I could stop safely which is my plan.  So basically, if I go 250 and stop safely, I would be allowed to try 260.  If I can stop safely from 260 and have total control over my bike, I would be allowed to attempt a faster speed.  But...the moment I am unable to stop safely at higher speeds due to my inability to safely control my bike, it only makes sense that I would either need to re-think my braking process, drogue ribbon chute deployment, or possibly a linked ABS braking system.  Either way, I won't stop trying to go fast.  I do believe however that only Loring provides the required braking distance for attempting 300mph in the 1 mile.

Your 265 runs at Maxton were very scary runs because if I remember correctly the long shutdown was used in it's entirety and well beyond to the wire barrier.  be that here nor there, Wilmington has a new owner on the team so things do change.  I do hope to see you again sometime at Wilmington, I miss your wife's cookies.

Guy

Thank you Guy.

Ellen and I both look forward to Wilmington,
coming well supplied with the crowd-pleasing
home-made chocolate chip cookies in quantity.

If I were to have a bike inspected by the ECTA,I would
want nobody but you to do the initial looking.

Your trained eye, careful approach to a potentially - dangerous
outing would make me feel much more safe going down the track. 

If you said change it.....It would be changed !

Yes, there should be additional "Licensing"
for higher speeds, as you suggest.

Live to race another day.

When my team races at Bonneville, there are often 3 or more "inspectors"
watching us with binoculars as we race down the 5-mile track.

Often an "inspector" will speed to us before
 we are completely stopped, just to give us
a "look over" at the completion of a run.

They raise the bike up, take
the temperature of the tires, etc.

"Just bein' careful." we are told.......

Sometimes professional photographers are "appointed" to
take pictures of us on a run to provide "clarification"
if it is needed later....

The shut-down area at Wilmington doesn't scare me like
Maxton did, but there is all that aircraft-landing stuff
right in the center of the grassy run-off area....

Blow something up (I have), and you can get a
faceplate covered in fluids (Happened to me twice,
both @ Bonneville and Goliad)
that made it so, at 240+ mph, I was blind,
and I would NOT have been able to see
WHERE those uprights are at Wilmington.

You, Guy, are the last "good head" for motorcycles in the ECTA.

You have a tough - and often thankless - job ahead of you.

I trust you implicitly, and hope that the new owners of the ECTA
understand what a treasure they have in you,
and give you the authority you need and deserve !

Be Safe,
Have Fun,
Get your AA license,
and go 300 mph, young man !

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 07:35:06 PM »
You don't know how much that means to me.
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile