Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Ebay H-Beam rods....yea I bought some. here is my horror story  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Sounded like a good deal.  I bought a set of the Ebay H-Beam rods to use in my Gen 1 turbo motor.  When they came in they looked really good with ARP2000 bolts but they come with no card.  They do have some numbers stamped on them but I ended up taking them to a machine shop and had them checked.  After that I was alble to order bearings and got ready to put the pistons on the rods and the wrist pin would not slide through the rod...at all.  It was the same on all 4 rods.  So back to the machine shop and sure enough the small end was too small for the wrist pin.  I let the machine shop fix it.  Now just looking at the tangs for the bearings they didnt fit as good in the rod like the factory bearings did in the factory rods.  But I thought it would be ok and after plastigauging the bearings I put it together.  I put 100 streetmiles on it with a 3 lb. spring and no problems.  Changed the oil and took it to the track.  making 10 lbs of boost now.  Ran like a champ no problems at all.  No weird noises smooth as glass.  Another couple of days street riding and by now I have over 200 miles on the motor.  Go for a test and tune on a thursday night after work and on the second pass it made a noise going across the finish line.  not nocking but more like a squeaking noise.  Oil light is not on.  pulled the motor and the number 2 rod had the bearings spin in the big end.  didnt stack them they just spun in the rod.  The rods not even burnt up.  the bearings dont even look that bad.  Anyway I pulled the rest of them which looked fine.  Going to put a new crank and some better rods in it now.  This is just my experience with the rods. 

Offline Jay

• Post Master
Re: Ebay H-Beam rods....yea I bought some. here is my horror story
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
This should be a sticky

Offline Mike-Nightrider

• Mad Post Whore
Dragraceteam NIGHTRIDER
1/8: 5.101s..........1/4: 7.801s
227.7mph Woodbridge/GB 2013

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
Re: Ebay H-Beam rods....yea I bought some. here is my horror story
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:20:04 AM »
Cant imagine why anyone would use these. In a turbo no less. You get what you pay for
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570