Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Those with extended swingarm --- question about rear shock  (Read 9147 times)

Offline Picasso_1300R

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
Those with extended swingarm --- question about rear shock
« on: July 03, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »
My bike has about a 4-6" stretch on it and currently has a solid strut for the suspension.  (bought it that way)  I have a shock that I am going to be putting back on it.  Do I really need the upgraded rear spring that companies are selling or will the stock spring be ok with the stretch?  It's a stock size wheel on the back right now.  Thanks!

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
Re: Those with extended swingarm --- question about rear shock
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 11:14:09 PM »
Mines at about 2"over with a stock shock and even at that it feels slightly squishy.  Just my opinion. It's still rideable and handles ok, just not quite like stock.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline 396

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:22:37 PM »
Stock will work, just tighten up the spring some. Aftermark shock or new spring would be even better. If you have a passenger on the back you will notice it even more, being soft.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
Yes you need the spring unless your a flyweight yourself, and also if you ever intended a passenger, without the beefed up spring riding would a challenge
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »
Agreed...............there is a method or formula for computing necessary preload, sag, compression and rebound dampening based upon rider weight and length over stock wheelbase.  Penske or Brocks if you have the bread, or just a heavier spring at the least if you do not.  At 4-6 over, I would not leave it stock unless my riding weight was under 160..............which it ain't by a long shot. 

Rocketgeezer is also in my weight class............he knows the deal.   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:15:14 PM by Ghost-Geezer »
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 04:03:22 PM »
 :hys:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »
Agreed...............there is a method or formula for computing necessary preload, sag, compression and rebound dampening based upon rider weight and length over stock wheelbase.  Penske or Brocks if you have the bread, or just a heavier spring at the least if you do not.  At 4-6 over, I would not leave it stock unless my riding weight was under 160..............which it ain't by a long shot. 

Oh yea, I bet me and my bike weigh less than you and your bike, if it don't I'l start taking shit off till it does :hys:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »
 :lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:24:50 AM »

Oh yea, I bet me and my bike weigh less than you and your bike, if it don't I'l start taking shit off till it does :hys:

We can't take off the Slim Jims, Big Macs, Whoppers, and Curly Fries with a large shake.    :mrgreen:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 08:27:36 PM »

We can't take off the Slim Jims, Big Macs, Whoppers, and Curly Fries with a large shake.    :mrgreen:
Don't do Slim Jims, never did care for them things a bit to greasy, still get after a couple of Big Macs or Whoppers, the Curly fries  every now and then, but Philly Cheese Steaks are at present tough to pass up, and Arbys has one that's not half bad, will have to take it easy for a few days, the new fuel pump I'm putting on the bike weighs a couple pounds more than the old one :lol:

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:03 PM »

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »
 :lol2:  You can have my old pump off of my 84 Ford F-150..........works good. 

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 07:49:12 PM »

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 09:45:12 PM »
:lol2:  You can have my old pump off of my 84 Ford F-150..........works good.
I had a old F-150 and the fuel pump craped out and I was a ways from home fortunately that was  a truck that I always had a bunch of shit in the back, I bungyed a gas can to the roof and run a hose from the can to the carb inlet, used bailing wire for clamps, and I mad it home, in fact made it to the shop the next day

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »
 :lol: :thumb: I ran my old Shovel one time just by spraying WD-40 into the velocity stack(true story). :lol:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:22:12 PM by piratediverjefff »

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 10:27:03 PM »
I believe it we start them like that at the shop to help verify if a bad fuel pump, blowing up flat tires with ether is the most fun with a spray can :lol:

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 05:02:18 AM »

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »
Nice air filtration system.  S/Us were OK but I preferred a dual sidedraft 40 mm weber with an electric fuel pump that delivered about 3 lbs of pressure.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 04:58:28 PM »
The 2" S.U. worked great on that 96",I always heard the Webers were a pain in the ass to get right.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
I still remember the internals I found were best for that bike............F-11 Emulsion tubes, 135 main jets, 110 air bleed jets, and Idle jets were controlled with one screw, which I superglued a dime in to the screw slot and could adjust my cold or hot idle speed with my thumb and forefinger.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline ANTDOG600

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 06:15:12 PM »
try a straight link....changes the progressive rate of the spring, only allowing about 2" of sag. gains about 1/5" ground clearance..... :tu: