Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Hard Starting  (Read 29972 times)

Offline jdcfrank

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • NJ
Hard Starting
« on: July 18, 2015, 04:56:20 PM »
Question,

Have a 2011 with 1700 miles on it.

When I'm out riding and stop and try to start it right away. It just verly turns over hard cranking.  If I leave it for awhile it will start right up.

Is this normal ? Have any of you had the same problem?   Never had this issues with my gen 1. Even with my turbo motor it would start anytime I wanted it to with no problem.

Was thinking about getting a new battery for it. And then see what happens. 
1981 Camaro Z28
1994 Harley-Davidson Sportster
1985 Buick T-Type
2016 Yamaha R1
1988 Corvette
Replacment: 2011 Hayabusa
Stolen: 2004 Hayabusa LE Turbo

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Hard Starting
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
Never had any issues with mine Dave(I have the same 2011),original battery and 10,100 miles now(though I've always kept it on a tender 24/7 when not riding).
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline jdcfrank

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • NJ
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 06:04:20 PM »
What's up bud?

I hear u.  I always leave mine on the tender too.   It is crazy, never had any issue with my 04.  But this one has been doing it since I got it.  It had 525 miles on it when I got i.

1981 Camaro Z28
1985 Buick T-Type
2016 Yamaha R1
1988 Corvette

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
Hey Dave, is it the original battery?  if so its really on borrowed time, a 2011 bike built in 2010 and its well into 2015??? ether way take a small volt meter with you next time out, and have somewere on the bike you can get to battery volts to ck it, battery, terminal, anything that registers batt volts, and after you have run it hot and shutdown wait however long you say when it starts hard hook up the volt meter and try to crank it while reading the volt meter, now I'm not exactly sure where its supposed to be but it would seem like it would need at least 10.5-11.5 volts to lite up, if it go's much below that you may need a battery, bike batterys don't seem to stay like cars, 2-3 years is the norm, if your religious with the batt tender maybe 5-6, and that's pushing it, the only other thing is the starter itself, I have seen them when hot they say fuck it, it turns over but sounds like the motor has cold 90 weight oil in it, you will need to hook up a amp meter to ck the starter draw, mine is 10 years old and on its third battery, but I do have a small scooter battery in the tail to give it a little extra boost, its not 24 volt just a double battery that small battery has been there 3-4 years and almost start the bike on its own, and if it sit more than a day or two the tender is on it, ..........and good hearing from ya..............  :)
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline jdcfrank

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • NJ
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 07:09:26 PM »
I know we haven't talked in awhile, need to call and catch up. 

Thanks for the info, Yes, it is the original battery, I'll check it out when it stops raining lol.  At  least I got a good ride in last night. We didn't get back until around 2am.  All highway (hauling ass) no cob web on it now lol

I think the deal told me the original owner never rode the bike, just sat in his garage.  So he sold it back to the dealer. Wife found it on the internet in Conn. So we did the road trip lol.

So most likely it is the battery, but I'll test it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 07:13:24 PM by jdcfrank »
1981 Camaro Z28
1985 Buick T-Type
2016 Yamaha R1
1988 Corvette

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 08:33:35 PM »
What's up bud?

I hear u.  I always leave mine on the tender too.   It is crazy, never had any issue with my 04.  But this one has been doing it since I got it.  It had 525 miles on it when I got i.

Same shit/different day,state's on fire and out of water. :lol:Good to hear from you again bro,don't make yourself so scarce around here.  :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »
What's up bud?

Same shit/different day,state's on fire and out of water. :lol:Good to hear from you again bro,don't make yourself so scarce around here.  :thumb:
Hey Bud we seen on the news yesterday about a fire in San Bernadino that jumped a road and some cars and trucks stopped in traffic were on fire, dam WTF is that, I told you a while back you drive to Barsto, get on I-40 east and put the hammer down,a few miles later it passes within 1/4 mile of the house, the only thing that may be rough for you to get used to is it does get cold in winter, but snow is minimal, but the real bitch is all the seals are in the zoo
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 06:50:29 AM »
 :lol:

Yeah,shit has been burnin' everywhere the last couple of days,luckily it's like 50 miles north of me.We did get a 1/2" of rain yesterday though,probably 10% contained now. :lol:

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 07:25:05 AM »
:lol:

Yeah,shit has been burnin' everywhere the last couple of days,luckily it's like 50 miles north of me.We did get a 1/2" of rain yesterday though,probably 10% contained now. :lol:
Dam, still that's a bit to close, the farmers here are bitchin about to much rain :|

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 08:07:22 AM »
Looks like people in AZ are treadin' water this morning. :lol:Just went and filled up the Jeep,$3.99 for reg.(and oil trading at $50 per barrel),sure have been stickin' it to us extra deep the last couple of weeks.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
Looks like people in AZ are treadin' water this morning. :lol:Just went and filled up the Jeep,$3.99 for reg.(and oil trading at $50 per barrel),sure have been stickin' it to us extra deep the last couple of weeks.

They have us right where they want us............in their hip pocket.  Frankly, I personally think the Feds should pass a law limiting what gas can cost based upon crude per barrel and the entire catalytic cracking process.  They won't, cuz the Oil Companies have them in their hip pocket too.  All the fuel for National Defense and R&D and F-18s and the Raptor and tanks, and self propelled mobile nukes and on and on............comes from guess where? 
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
We really get it in the butthole in CA because of the special "summer blend" we're forced to burn and evidently only CA refineries are set up to produce it.Throw in a fire at a Torrence refinery,a couple of strikes,and the fact that these idiots haven't built a new refinery in the last 30 years while the population has probably close to doubled keeps us totally fucked.Cost me $140 just for the privilege of working 4 days last week($100 in gas,$20 for parking,and another $20 for air fills in my scuba tanks),'bout time to break out the ski mask and shootin' iron. :lol:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:30:05 PM by piratediverjefff »

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
California licensing/taxing requirements might be so restrictively high that the oil companies do not want to pay more than they are to the state for all that and the construction of a new facility at higher labor costs.  They can continue what they want to do and keep refineries just about wherever, if they wish.

Just like the beginning of time................it is just about the money.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »
Back to topic...................

Ever consider one of the new lithium-ion batteries?  No fluids, same size as stock but weighs 1 1/2 lbs.  Has 70+ more cold cranking amps than a stocker and will outlive it by close to 3 generations of our old lead/acid stuff.   Cost about $160.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
Hey Bud on this gas subject there is something you may know, fishing and kick ass bass boats are the rage around here one guy has one that he says will go well over 100 mph, and a couple guys at work always piss and moan they if they have to buy gas at the marina its like a $1 or $1.50 more than at the pump???I don't know this for a fact but if true out where you are it must be 7-8 bucks at a marina???

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »
I know the several fuel docks in the harbor charge about the same as stations in town,but some of the fresh water marinas do charge more(though not sure how much more,some sell 100+ octane and I know that's pricey).

Damn buddy,we're actually gettin' some pretty good rain right now. :shock:

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »
I know the several fuel docks in the harbor charge about the same as stations in town,but some of the fresh water marinas do charge more(though not sure how much more,some sell 100+ octane and I know that's pricey).

Cool on the rain, I just had to go out and fix on flower bed gutter was stopped up and the rain washed half of mamas flowers down the yard

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »

Cool on the rain, I just had to go out and fix on flower bed gutter was stopped up and the rain washed half of mamas flowers down the yard

:hys:  :thumb:

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »
"It never rains in California"

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »
I was beginning to think so bro,but damned if we didn't get 2" over the weekend. :shock:

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 03:18:53 PM »
Feast or famine out there is what we Easterners see..........Mudslides or Fires.   Not a reasonable balance.   Here it is like in the Bible, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.  Wind and some rain in the Spring, Heat and Thundershowers in the summer, Leaves falling and frosty nights in the fall, and some snow in the winter.  Boring, but relatively safe..........with the exception of an occasional tornado every 7 years and a Hurricane every 20 with golf ball sized hail in both cases. 

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Wolf1397

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • AKA Wolf
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »
We really get it in the butthole in CA because of the special "summer blend" we're forced to burn and evidently only CA refineries are set up to produce it.Throw in a fire at a Torrence refinery,a couple of strikes,and the fact that these idiots haven't built a new refinery in the last 30 years while the population has probably close to doubled keeps us totally fucked.Cost me $140 just for the privilege of working 4 days last week($100 in gas,$20 for parking,and another $20 for air fills in my scuba tanks),'bout time to break out the ski mask and shootin' iron. :lol:

I'm happy I don't have to pay for fill-ups in my daily ride to the tune of 50,000 gallons. Heck, it burns almost 250 gallons just to taxi out to the runway.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »
 :lol: I saw a show on some big cruise ships last week,one of them got 60' to the gallon(or 88 gal. per mile). :lol:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:10:54 PM by piratediverjefff »

Offline Wolf1397

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • AKA Wolf
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 05:57:10 PM »
Mine is burning about 2,700 gallons an hour during cruise at high altitude. The fuel flow during the takeoff phase is about 11,000 gallons per hour.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 07:08:36 PM »
 :shock:  :lol: