Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Speed Week 2015 Canceled  (Read 5361 times)

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
Speed Week 2015 Canceled
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »
For the second year in a row, Speed Week is canceled. Argh.

Offline Wolf1397

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • AKA Wolf
Re: Speed Week 2015 Canceled
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »
So frustrating. All the man hours spent on the build and the anticipation of participating in Speed Week for nothing. Happened to me several times in the 1990s. One year, my racing partner and I were in the fully loaded cube truck ready to back out of the driveway in NH when my friend's wife walked out of the house and waived us down. The race director had just called and informed her that the event was cancelled. We would have been on our way if the phone call had come a few minutes later and not received the message until 1,000 miles down the road in Chicago. No cellphones at that time during the Stone Age.

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:59:18 PM »
Yes, I'm glad at least to get the news 2 weeks ahead, before making the trek. Thinking about an El Mirage meet this year, only a little farther! Dean

Offline fj1289

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »
Yes, I'm glad at least to get the news 2 weeks ahead, before making the trek. Thinking about an El Mirage meet this year, only a little farther! Dean

Last year the CNX message went out about 6 hours after we got there .... hopefully BMST will be an option for those that made all the preparations and plans

Offline Wolf

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
  • AKA Wolf1397
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »
Greenie must be getting impatient. Been locked up in the barn for a long time.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
Wassup, liability issues? 
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »
The problem is a mixture of Mother Nature, the BLM and the MotherF'ckers that they have allowed to  haul the salt out of there by the train load for the last 60 years or so.  There is not enough salt crust to allow safe racing.  It is wet, and the thin crust has lots of mud patches throughout the course.  The SCTA was able to find 2 1/4 of raceing surface, takes about 7-8 to support the fast stuff including a couple of bikes that are shooting for 400.
A lot of discussion on Landracing.com
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
BMST will be my first ever event. I hope ts not cancelled too. They say they have contingency plans but what the heck could that be? I really feel for the heavy hitters.  I'm easily over 2500.00 into this one trip and I just have an off the shelf turbo busa. I can't imagine how much some have spent.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »
The problem is a mixture of Mother Nature,

I am currently driving through the region and it has rained for most of the week thanks to tropical storm Dolores. Parts of the desert has turned green.  Folks in Southern California have went nuts (well, more nuts), had like 100 wrecks one morning around LA cause they can't drive in the rain.  Reminds me of when it snows in Atlanta.
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »
There are 10 bikes from England sitting in a container in LA... some of those guys were here for the cancellation last year as well... they have invested their life savings into a shot at the holy grail of racing and are hosed again. 
I have watched the deterioration of the racing surface for over 37 years... I hope the salt recovers.... I want to keep racing.
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline Ken 12r

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:08:30 AM »
I know a few of the English bikes and it is so sad it has been cancelled although a couple are hoping to get on a later event I hear.

That salt is an International treasure and should be protected as such for future generations,it is such a big part of land speed heritage.

In the Uk we have recently started running again at Pendine Sands beach on the South Wales coast that was home to many records in the early days which is good but we continue to struggle against noise restrictions at all other venues,even our last few Drag strips are talking about noise limits in the near future.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »
The problem is a mixture of Mother Nature, the BLM and the MotherF'ckers that they have allowed to  haul the salt out of there by the train load for the last 60 years or so.  There is not enough salt crust to allow safe racing.  It is wet, and the thin crust has lots of mud patches throughout the course.  The SCTA was able to find 2 1/4 of raceing surface, takes about 7-8 to support the fast stuff including a couple of bikes that are shooting for 400.
A lot of discussion on Landracing.com

Some billionaire needs to lay a paved strip 8 miles long and 100 yards wide on that sucker.  No more cancellations.   :tu:

President Eisenhower put down the entire Interstate Freeway System in 4 years back in the 1950's.  It can be done.  Just takes money.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:44:06 AM by Ghost-Geezer »
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 12:46:04 PM »
There is a survey on the SCTA site considering a standing mile meet at Mojave for Aug 7-9. This would give the international folks (or anyone else, maybe including those not registered at SW) a place to run, even if it isn't for SCTA records. It's a great idea, but wouldn't make sense for me.

http://www.scta-bni.org/mojave-mile-survey.html