Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 04 Busa - no start - fast click - no fuel pump sound - not charging  (Read 4674 times)

Offline pward76

• Apprentice Post Whore
I need some help.

The busa sat in a garage for months, battery is dead, which I expected.  Changed oil and filter (old oil was clear) - put on charger, but doesn't seem to want to take a charge, won't start even with charger on.  Gauges light up, get a real fast click and no noise from the fuel pump, then get CHEK  on the display

I'm hoping it's just a new battery?

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:02:23 PM by pward76 »

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: 04 Busa - no start - fast click - no fuel pump sound - not charging
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
I need some help.

The busa sat in a garage for months, battery is dead, which I expected.  Changed oil and filter (old oil was clear) - put on charger, but doesn't seem to want to take a charge, won't start even with charger on.  Gauges light up, get a real fast click and no noise from the fuel pump, then get CHEK  on the display

I'm hoping it's just a new battery?

Any ideas?
It most likely is the battery, when they are in a badly discharged condition they can short themselves internaly, you may get a little power from them, but nothing like should be, bike batterys in normal conditions last 2-3 years maybe, taken very good care of kept on a tender all the time you could 4-5 years out of one, any abuse like sitting discharged for a long time they stay no time, if you want to do some testing, remove the bikes battery and you can try hooking up a car battery as long as the car is not running or the battery is by itself, if it cranks good put some fresh gas in it and try it, if you do this with a car battery be mindful to keep from shorting the cables, if it lights and runs ok, buy a new battery, please post back with results
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline pward76

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:49:40 PM »
I bought a new battery, removed the gas tank and emptied the bad gas, put in new gas and some seafoam.   Fired right up. 

Thanks for the help, I am a happy camper!    :tu:

Learned my lesson, btw - Battery tender will be on the bike and Sta-bil in the tank next winter....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:52:13 PM by pward76 »

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »
I bought a new battery, removed the gas tank and emptied the bad gas, put in new gas and some seafoam.   Fired right up. 

Thanks for the help, I am a happy camper!    :tu:

Learned my lesson, btw - Battery tender will be on the bike and Sta-bil in the tank next winter....
No problem the help is free, you also got lucky, depending on the gas that was in the tank when parked that bike could have been a bunch worse off, you would not have got away with a new battery and fresh gas, ..........tank lines, regulator, injectors, anything the fuel touches, also remember when you do park it for the season and put in the Sta-bil run the bike a while and try to have the tank full, also have a fresh set of plugs on hand, just in case
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 12:55:52 PM »
The heck with all that.............just ride all year.   :smokin:    :wink:

We are fortunate enuf here to ride 9 months...............during winter I just pour a bit of Stabil and Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and ride the bike for 10 miles and park it on the tender.  Start it and let it idle every 2 weeks for 7-8 minutes and repeat. 
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."