Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Wiseco, or ARP ring compressor ???....  (Read 5273 times)

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Wiseco, or ARP ring compressor ???....
« on: May 02, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
Morning everyone,

Looking at the different versions of 81mm ring compressors, and noticed the tapered jobs that come from a couple vendors.  Who uses what ???.......

Also looking to get the gaps on the rings right.  Schnitz' chart says .004 X bore for #1, and .005 X bore for #2 for first and second, with a oil ring gap of minimums .015.  Anyone like better for a stock NA ?. 

Have a great day !.

A.   
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Re: Wiseco, or ARP ring compressor ???....
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:34:46 AM »
Funny how I search the website and nothing popped up, but I search the web and you guys have already covered the ring compression topic....on this Board...I might add.  I'll get something figured out.....
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:24:03 PM »
i use fingers or a piece of hard plastic
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »
Thanks Phil,

Yes, I noticed some have it down to a fingernail science. Plastic scraper edge might work just fine. I also took hints that the lower end has a bevel, and if manipulated right, I could work around the radius as the rest works it's way in.  Guess if I had to, I could get a screw type compressor and line them up that way. Then tap them in.

Figure when I get the pistons lined up, I'll support the cylinder with wood slats to get all four wristpins in place. Then slide it down on the new base gasket and torque the head.

Just getting my head in order as the cylinder head and crank won't be back for a while.

Thanks for the idea and experience. I imagine my second, third, and more will go a lot quicker but I am trying to make sure my considerations on this first build of a Busa motor are solid and thorough.

Have a good day !

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:59:54 PM »
i phone battery tool is a great ring "pusher" ,
Official Site Donor

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:56:42 AM »
LOL! I don't own one of those fancy phones.

Can I load the pistons into the cylinders, then slide the pins in, or is it a better approach to do two at a time like the picture in the manual ?

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 04:17:55 AM »
Rock it,.close the gaps as you come down, center it over the oil ring pkg,  then lightly tap down. Done in 4 min, or mock it up to set deck, the use the weisco, or Arp with cylinder bolted down, flip over and install crank. Whichever way is easier for you
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:20:59 AM by knecum »