Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Stock motor ring gaps.....  (Read 5963 times)

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Stock motor ring gaps.....
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:16:31 AM »
Borrowed this from a PM I sent to one of our members.  Just looking to see what everyone uses for a baseline spec on stock motors.....

Getting ready to sit down and set my new rings to their respective cylinders. New pistons, cylinders replated at Millennium.

According to my calculations and math from the Schnitz tables on ring gap I have 3.189 multiplied by .004 for the top ring giving me a .013 ring gap. On number two ring I have 3.189 multiplied by .005 for the number two ring of .016. Oil rings have a minimum spec of .015.

The service limit coming out of the book is .020.

The rings are factory Suzuki. Daily driver, stock motor.

I'm filing by hand.  Got 6", and 8" mill bastard files. 

Currently I have one set filed.  Top ring at .013, but over shot on the second ring at .017.  Both oil rings are at .015.  Didn't do such a great job of keeping the ends square on the first run so ordering one new set to start over with.

Any personal preferences from your experiences gentlemen ?.  From my friend's admission, and most of you guys, probably also have only built much bigger motors.

Any advice, and input would be greatly appreciated. 

Adam
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
Re: Stock motor ring gaps.....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:57:04 PM »
What ever happened to those "gapless" 3 piece compression rings?   Are they impractical for a Busa?  Used to run them on my old stroked Shovels decades ago.  I think they were called "Total Seal".
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »
What ever happened to those "gapless" 3 piece compression rings?   Are they impractical for a Busa?  Used to run them on my old stroked Shovels decades ago.  I think they were called "Total Seal".
Your right they are Total Seal, then there was another place that made the ZGS zero gap second, but the total seal was the most popular, and on a Harley they would work great, but I don't recall they ever being made for a Busa engine
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »
Probably has something to do with bore size and the market for demand.  I'll bet a lot of our board members have never even heard of the concept.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:32:25 PM »
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:45:40 AM »
Talked with Total Seal yesterday...............they have rings for Gen 1 but not Gen 2.  Different specs.  So I was told.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 09:32:32 AM »
Total seal were the ring of choice back in the 80's when they came out.  Had no idea they were made for Gen I's nowadays.

Also noticed APE's price for a set rivals the factory sets.

Found the factory Suzuki specs for the factory rings, .003-.008 end gap. 

A.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:39:45 AM »
Total seal were the ring of choice back in the 80's when they came out.  Had no idea they were made for Gen I's nowadays.

Also noticed APE's price for a set rivals the factory sets.

"Found the factory Suzuki specs for the factory rings, .003-.008 end gap".  See below. 

A.

For those actually building the stock bottom end:

Installed the stock new rings from Suzuki P/N 12140-24F10

These are the factory 81mm rings.

Top ring gap measured in new bore at 3.189" (81mm): .006

Second ring gap measured in same: .008

Oil ring gaps measured in same: .013

These are the gaps coming right out of the Suzuki parts box listed above. 

Just thought I would do the due diligence and list these for anyone looking.

A.

The two top rings are in spec per the manual of .003-.008. 

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
Back in day you could take two sets of rings to Total Seal and they would make you one set of "total seal" rings.

Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!