Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Rod side cl  (Read 27207 times)

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
Re: Rod side cl
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 04:29:50 AM »

Are you sure it is a Marine crank?

They asked the same thing at Marine`s, and i`m taking a photo today to solve it out. I was in belief it was Marine, but now looking at their pictures i`m begin to doubt it. I`ve had before Falicon and Arrow cranks and it`s neither. I tried to find a picture of TTS crank but the search showed couple different looking models.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 08:08:59 AM »
I'll tell you 1 sec flat

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 08:11:48 AM »
with that serial # its not a Marine

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »
So, what is it ? And what`s with the rod big end sizing ?

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 01:05:08 PM »
TTS IN A MARINE BOX

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »
So, what is it ? And what`s with the rod big end sizing ?
  Whats with the sizing??  I didn't make it, you sure its not for a zx 14 journal. don't have books in front of me but the zx is wider

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
At the previous page Jay said,
"I thought at first you may have had a crank that was done for ZX14 big end. Looked in the Carrillo book for big end widths and the 14 is much wider than what you are stating you have as side clearance."

It could be for special rods using ZX14 shells but the rod not being as wide as ZX14 rod, yes (?)

Do you know what cranks TTS had , or made ? Or was it the same as Marine, anything the customer wanted.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »
They made 8.5 and 10.5 mm, maybe that's why it was for sale!! because companies do screw up.. idk what to tell you except contact who you bought it from, idk about TTS which I don't think TTS made it anyway, maybe Farnum or Arrow  etc,  but Marine will make you anything you want to  1/4 mm

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »
I bought it from someone on this forum and he just mailed me he was in belief it was Marine, and new. I don`t want to return it, it`s too much hassle, when it`s in very good condition, straight and no scratches, there is only the thing where this started, why is the rod side clearance so big. I have to ask Richard about it.
I`ve had Arrow made crank and it was heavy compared to this. This is even lighter than stock crank.

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 07:03:47 AM »
This is what they said at Marine`s,

"We worked on that crank a little while ago, we ground the 4 rod journals down from 1.5750" to 1.4955" stock Hayabusa. The customer wanted to leave it at .845" width (Hayabusa is .830") you will need to have custom connecting rods made to fit that width."

I`m glad it cleared why the width was off, but still have the problem, (well, new rods)

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 09:30:19 AM »
Well at least the vendor gave you credible information as to the origin and specifications.  You can go somewhere with that info now, and you know why you have the extra width.  Interesting to say the least.  One-off rods for this crank and you'll always know what this crank / rod combo needs compared to others you may have in your arsenal.....
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline wombat58

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2015, 04:00:40 AM »
Google piston guided rods. A lot of high end race car engines use this to reduce drag and big end temps. The oil pressure and flow is controlled by the bearings, and not the thrust. Problem is machining pistons and gudgeon spacers to make it work . . . not a simple job.

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 01:02:08 AM »
So it was a Kiddie / Arrow / TTS made for Honda Blackbird big end rods. Ground down to Hayabusa diameter but left at Blackbird width.

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 05:01:43 AM »
I know it`s not Arrow, i had one before and it looked like this,

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »
I thought Kiddie / Arrow were the only ones to do the Blackbird journals. I am thinking that crank came out of a Radical and had damage.  Marine just dround it down to Busa size and left the width Blackbird.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
Where the fugg do ya get rods?  And how much?  Damn!!!  Plus rods will be heavier.   :(
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2015, 03:27:15 AM »
I thought Kiddie / Arrow were the only ones to do the Blackbird journals. I am thinking that crank came out of a Radical and had damage.  Marine just dround it down to Busa size and left the width Blackbird.

Yes, they said the customer wanted to leave the width as it was, i think it would be difficult to make it smaller, but what do i know.
Several rod manufacturers make custom rods, you can even order chinese ones by your own design, but i would choose maybe Crower, when i have the budget,

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »
We have had Marine do a couple of damaged Kiddie / Arrow cranks . Welded the sides up and ground them down to busa specs.   Carrillo usually has the busa rod with the ZX14 big ends in stock. But this one would be a special.

There have been literly hundreds of these Busa / blackbird billet strokers come out of the Radical factory and shipped worldwide. You would think more damaged ones would be showing up. However, they do have the highest nitride on them of any cranks we have seen come thru the shop.

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2015, 01:59:40 AM »
Jay, do you think the nitride layer is still there after grinding the journal to 1.4955" diameter ?

On the busa oem camshafts the heat treating is very deep and they don`t need new treating if grinding couple mils down, says the guy who did the job,

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2015, 01:31:51 AM »
THey have to be re nitrided after they are repaired.

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2015, 07:46:51 AM »
Mr Jay Sir,

The crank would have to be re nitrided after grinding down to Busa diameter ?

What about the oem camshafts after minor massaging ? Up to what amount can the profile be changed without having to re nitrided ?

If, let's say I had a similar situation, what is the logical next step to acquiring rods at that width dimension for a crank like this ? Too costly, or affordable ?

A.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »
I tend to agree.   And I dunno shit about Busa Rods but I do know Harleys........those custom mods to rods cost a lot of money.  Of course, we are talkin' in the 90"s and early part of the 2000's.
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2015, 11:42:16 PM »
LVBUSA, crank guys only polish after nitride.. if the grind, they go to nitride.  I would suspect cam guys do the same.
All rod guys can make special order rods...  I would check prices to decide which way to go. 
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 01:29:47 AM »
Cams don't get nitrided.

Offline wombat58

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2015, 01:51:05 AM »
Cast iron camshafts should not be nitrided . . . however some operators will nitride them on the "up-sell".