Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: External fuel filter recommendations......  (Read 19836 times)

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
External fuel filter recommendations......
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »
Looking to install an external fuel filter with something close to 5/16" / 7.9mm fuel line fittings.............

Stock pump, stock pressure requirements.  What do you guys like the best ???....

Thanks, A.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: External fuel filter recommendations......
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 01:18:33 PM »
very good question.

I've used a few different ones, everything from a K&N disc filter (-6AN in/out), Pingel bronze element (also -6AN in/out), automotive type 5/16" or 3/8" in/out (I believe it was a Ford part, it was metal, not plastic and a good 2-2.5" diameter. The main thing you need to watch for is that it doesn't restrict flow once it starts to collect debris.

Good luck, let us know what you end up using.
Thomas

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:50:34 PM »
Thanks for the help !!!

Yes, I saw one in a post that was metal (can't seem to remember where), had a decent diameter that you described, and had FI rubber fuel line with a hose clamp set up.  Looking for something with both in, and out 5/16" / 7.9mm (8mm) fittings so it flows.  Juss something simple that works well.

A. 
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »
You both have me interested.  Not a bad way to go.  Saves having trash in the fuel pump............that filter gets gummed up at times.

Gonna do it.
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »
Well the book says my standard pressure is 43 psi.  So I believe I can get away with just about anything rated to 55-60psi.  You forced induction guys are running a wee bit more line pressure, so your needs might require some AN fittings. 

I've been looking around for hours and Fram has a G7143  with 5/16" fittings.  Trying to find pressure ratings and tech data is another story. 

Looked at K&N, and they have quite a few that are supposedly EFI pressure rated also.  Like I said, my 43 PSI won't need much. 

The search goes on.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »
Let us know what you find when you find it please.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
I found an old filter that I had used awhile back, it is a metal filter with 5/16" inlet/outlet, part # is Fram G7092
Thomas

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Thomas

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
Thomas

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 08:16:31 AM »
Morning Thomas,

I have been compiling, and doing some cross reference work. I found a Wix with an excellent burst pressure, and diameter in the 3" range as well as a Motorcraft FG800A. The Motorcraft is also in the 3" range diameter and has a burst pressure of 150 psi. I ordered the Motorcraft to see what the resultant pressure will be. After I test it against the 43psi stock pressure pump I will report back.

Both these filters have 5/16" in and out so there shouldn't be any pressure restrictions from the filter itself.

Thanks for the Fram recommendation. Took the Fram cross-reference list and have been researching the alternatives from manufacturers with a bit more reputation for performance. Just to see if there is an ultimate choice in the quality of specifications.

A.

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:52 AM »
Good morning A,

Great information!  :tu: You bring up a very good point about burst strength, working pressures, etc. - I cannot say for certain that I used the Fram filter on the pressure side of the fuel pump, it's possible I had it before the pump. 

Thomas

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
Looks like another choice may be a Fram FG862 filter

Thomas

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 09:06:46 PM »
I followed this mod and used the filter in post on my 1441 with no problems http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/175027-fuel-filter-mod.html

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 08:22:47 AM »
Morning Blue,

Yessir, I have read Chris' original post.  That was what got me thinking about finding acceptable alternatives to the in-tank filter system. The idea Suzuki originally has was interesting, but leaves us no maintenance options, obviously, due to space restrictions. 

I am eager to include his Purolator filter choice in the options if it lines up against the others.

The objective is to find trustworthy filter options for the guys not running high psi systems that require AN fittings and cartridge filters.

That way we have a choice, including Chris' bypass options, to eliminate or reduce gumming up and internal tank maintenance for the daily drivers and seasonally stored machines. More pressure, more of the time.

I was looking at slightly larger diameter filters only for larger filter surface area exposure for better filtering and longevity.

By the way, the fuel line fitting disassembly and adaptation is pure genius.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:25:08 AM by LVBUSA »

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »
Blue,

That was very interesting................on a 2014 Gen II running non-ethanol all the time, would that mod still be a recommended change?

Davey

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »
I run race gas through it and have had no problems change it every spring 6 bucks at Pep Boys , I went with a big in tank pump AEM 320L  . I also wrapped the filter with a piece of rubber pond liner so it would not rattle

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 10:21:27 AM »
And by the way that filter I have is big lol

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
Good morning A,

Great information!  :tu: You bring up a very good point about burst strength, working pressures, etc. - I cannot say for certain that I used the Fram filter on the pressure side of the fuel pump, it's possible I had it before the pump.

That seems to me to make a "safer" alternative to a large inline after the pump.  What happens if the throttle is pinned in 4th at 4K and when the secondary injectors kick in, they take more fuel from the large filter than the stock pump can replace...........could you lean out?

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 09:54:55 PM »
I think you should run the biggest possable filter before the pump, my last fuel pump replacement I used a AEM 44 style pump and it has a huge inlet port, I think its 1/2 NTP or AN # 12, and on the inside of the pump right at the back of the fitting there is a brass screen, that apears to be the same size as the pump body, so I thought what the hell I'd run no filter, being that it has this big screen why bother with the filter, have had no trouble at all 3 months now, only thing I had to do is back the pres reg way off, as that big pump is prob twice what the bike needs
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
Ideally you would want a large filter pre-pump that only traps larger particles... i.e. a coarse screen. Then you would run as large as is feasible post-pump filter that traps finer particles. The idea here is to NOT have a bottleneck over time as each filter starts to trap more debris.

I would think as big a filter as is possible would be the best choice, but the problem is a large filter isn't always practical, there's not always room for anything but a smaller filter. The smaller the filter the more often it needs to be changed.

Thomas

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »
There is nothing better than a well designed fuel system that filters well and more than meets the fuel requirements of the engine its feeding. A thing of beauty!  :thumb: :D
Thomas

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »
Most of these filters posted here will take more psi then the busa regulator will put out . Cars run 40 to 60 psi , there is no problem with the filter I run , it gets filled up with gas and is pressurize the same as if it was smaller filter.

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »
Good morning A,

That seems to me to make a "safer" alternative to a large inline after the pump.  What happens if the throttle is pinned in 4th at 4K and when the secondary injectors kick in, they take more fuel from the large filter than the stock pump can replace...........could you lean out?

Yes, I do believe if you have too much filter on a stock fuel pump there is a very good "drain" potential for a Gen II. Your additional injector package would have the demand to lower primary injector available pressure. Thus starving both groups.  That is a great point, and argument "not" to install a filter inline from pump to rail unless you are considering an upgrade in fuel supply. In this regard you keep available pressure for both groups at a respectable level

As far as a Gen I, though, at a stock pump pressure with an inline filter could be considered a decent upgrade. One could also consider upgrading the fuel supply and regulating back to a stock pressure range with the same filter arrangement and have the best of both worlds.

Received the Motorcraft FG800a in the mail.  Will be plumbing and testing pressure this evening. Dimensions set roughly 3"X3.25", fuel inlet/outlet length at about 5.5" with 5/16 on both ends.

A.

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 09:27:53 AM »
Blue,

You're running the Purolator ?

A.

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
Blue,

You're running the Purolator ?

A.

Yes Part # F67221