Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Will Bill Warner's speeds be beat???????????????  (Read 38304 times)

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
Will Bill Warner's speeds be beat???????????????
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »
Just something that I've thought about since he has passed. To me it seems like the competition and excitement that we had several years ago is gone. At the Texas events back then there could be 5 bikes that had been or could of have been 250+. So I started the Shootouts to try and create more competition, make it runner and give sponsors an opportunity to get involved. It was not for the money at $100 a head. Maybe it's just me...

There are a few guys (Guy Caputo, Hussain Al-Sowaigh, Don Hass) that are planning of wanting to beat his speeds now but are still creeping up on it. No one has come remotely close. In my opinion Bill(and team) was way ahead of his time and set the bar really high. He did a ton of testing way before anyone ever figured out what he was doing. With better conditions and time I'm certain that he would have hit 300 in the 1.0 mile. I also know that there was a ton left in his 311 run in the 1.5 mile. I think that he could have hit 320 after he hit the 300 if he wanted to. Sadly, his quest for 300 in the mile was his last feat.

What does everyone think? If you think it will be beat, by who and when?

*Typed on phone so please excuse grammar and punctuation.*

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Will Bill Warner's speeds be beat???????????????
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
NO
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline KZScott

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:59:54 PM »
It will happen. just not too soon. he was way ahead of his time
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 on dot tires, pump gas, NO power adders.... turbo 8.47 @ 164
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot... turbo 8.32 @ 173
00 ZX-12R  1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB Worlds Fastest NA Kawasaki
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1  1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
Fabricator/Engine builder @ RCC Turbos

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »
In 20-30 years, when you are all 67 like me.   It is just too friggin' fast. and that is that.
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Landspeed Larry

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:00:42 PM »
Technology keeps moving the world forward so one would think it will happen. I don't, and yes I have a bias. It takes HP, Aerodynamics, Rate of Acceleration, and rider control. With current CNC programs a complete billet engine is possible. 1000 HP can be done. The aero is not so easy. Bill's body needed a chin spoiler to keep it down at speed. That worked fine at the 1.5 mile RoA but for the mile the extra power made the bike come up at 280+. Like walking a tightrope wearing combat boots. Bill almost made it to the end. Bill was a genius with his ramps for progressing the power to maintain the max acceleration of 6-7% slip. I have not seen anybody else show that skill. Rider control comes from practice. It takes many years of multiple races to acclimatize to 400+ ft/second.
    So how will it be done?  By a team of experts, each with the special skill in the parameters mentioned above. Just write the check for the engine, aero testing, electronics, etc. I would suggest traction control, a drag slick with inner liner, wheelie bar and a rider like Bill. Bill did it almost entirely by himself, he won't be beaten, only matched by a team.   LSL
All motor all the time and a turbo now and then.

Offline Ken 12r

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 06:01:20 PM »
The bar is very high but its possible it will be repeated even exceeded in time but all the stars need to align on the right day and the best conditions.
A superstreet bike in the Uk ran 212 mph terminal in 6.95 secs over the quarter mile  on a fully prepped track last weekend so just extend that potential in to a mile with the right gearing and set up.
Becci Ellis is running big speeds over here with lots of tyre slip because she is very light but there is 275 potential there in a mile.
I just wish we had a 1.5 mile track with another mile stopping distance and no noise restrictions.....Guess thats the next lottery win spent  :mrgreen:

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:35:15 PM »
I don't think Bill's records will be eclipsed for a very long time if ever.  He is how many MPH faster than the next closest competitor?!?!  Once the speeds are over 260 it seems the effort to gain more is astronomical. Bill was 51 MPH FASTER!!!  He really was way out there, completely in a league of his own.

I always enjoyed reading about his accomplishments and would anxiously check the forums when he was running.  I never met him or even had the chance to chat online with him however, I was truly saddened when I read of his passing...
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
  • Ok. So sometime I can be a little full of myself.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 06:56:36 AM »
Yes Don will do it and Bill
Will be proud. I think he is watching hoping it will happen. Bill was ahead of the people attempting it at the time but it not that noone was capable of the accomplishment its that noone was at that point yet.

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 07:04:33 AM »
Dons gone almost 250 in a mile on a stock body 1000 and now has a bike making over 1000hp will great areo. The first event he was having overboost and was spinning nasty and getting to learn. Now it has  3 wastegates and the powpow is undercontrol.
Track conditions will be the hindrance.  Anyone doing or attempting it should only attempt it on the best conditions which in itself will slow the pace.

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 12:37:23 PM »
Bill ran at all the paved tracks and found all, except Loring,fell short of being acceptable for 300mph. Some by a lot some just a little.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 01:06:32 PM »
has a bike making over 1000hp
:bah:
It made 560 on 16or 18 psi forgot and was overboosting at 42psi before addind another WG. I think 25 psi on a 560hp bike on 16 is either at or welll above.

Online Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 01:27:13 PM »
Dons gone almost 250 in a mile on a stock body 1000 and now has a bike making over 1000hp will great areo. The first event he was having overboost and was spinning nasty and getting to learn. Now it has  3 wastegates and the powpow is undercontrol.
Track conditions will be the hindrance.  Anyone doing or attempting it should only attempt it on the best conditions which in itself will slow the pace.

The 'best conditions' will (slow) the pace?  Whaaa?
Ride em if ya got em

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »

The 'best conditions' will (slow) the pace?  Whaaa?
300 in a mile has not been done safely yet. 300 in a mile should only be attempted in the cross windless conditions. If you are going to be safe and use safe times the amount of runs (pace) will be less.
 Not "pace" as in speed.

Offline KZScott

• Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »
how is it they were able to make dyno runs at "low boost" and make 560 hp, but on the track when it was supposed to be making 6, it went to 42 then required them to add an additional gate to keep things under control?
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 on dot tires, pump gas, NO power adders.... turbo 8.47 @ 164

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 05:57:24 PM »
how is it they were able to make dyno runs at "low boost" and make 560 hp, but on the track when it was supposed to be making 6, it went to 42 then required them to add an additional gate to keep things under control?
Time is a factor.
From your experience with compound turbo motorcycles what were you thinking it was?
Didnt bills bike start with one wastegate and end up with two?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:59:32 PM by gsx-rboy750 »

Offline turboguyrt

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »
Now boys lets play nice here...Load is exactly the reason it didn't make that must boost on the dyno. We still have a lot to learn with this bike. It is far from finished. We have so much left on the bodywork even before we bring it to the wind tunnel. We have worked out a lot of bugs in just seven passes.

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »
Now boys lets play nice here...Load is exactly the reason it didn't make that must boost on the dyno. We still have a lot to learn with this bike. It is far from finished. We have so much left on the bodywork even before we bring it to the wind tunnel. We have worked out a lot of bugs in just seven passes.
Your a asshole. I mean I am a asshole. I mean psiiiii

Offline Busa3268

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »
300 in a mile hmmm uncharted and bill was close and ahead of his time. Don has the bike to go past that speed. It will take time to work out some bugs and get aero good. But then it will fly. As for turbos and dyno's  well first you have to understand how a turbo really works ;) heat heat = load. But boost control on compound setup is trial and error right now. Cause I am sure I have seen it done before ;). The bike is art work and built way ahead of its time!!! A lot of people seem to think its not possible but I am sure bill and Dave "O" are watching  and know it's coming. 

Built not Bought
228.3 Naked Loring 2018

Offline KZScott

• Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
I would think you could generate more load with a dyno if you strap the bike properly. take away its ability to spin the tire, then put it in a high gear, or hold it at a constant rpm with the dyno. its very easy to spin the tire on a track with no prep = less load.
i also understand the concept of rushing to make a race and not fully testing things. been doing it each year myself :hys:

lets just not exaggerate the facts here. nobody has a 1000 hp bike. 700 is on the ragged edge of needing billet everything. we can all estimate and plan for big numbers, but untill it happens its all just dreaming. save the bragging for when it happens. because it will happen :tu:

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 09:51:30 PM »
Scott your program is impressive and I agree with you on the "1000" HP talk.

Offline Team Millholland

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 10:03:03 PM »
Bill ran at all the paved tracks and found all, except Loring,fell short of being acceptable for 300mph. Some by a lot some just a little.
  I remember Bill going to shutdown at Loring the evening before he ran the 311, he really concentrated on the runoff area (at every venue) and even made a path for going long in the grass if I remember right, I know he talked about doing it. I was with him and Keith Turk at Wilmington and Keith was explaining which gate they would go out that was closest to the hospital......Bill wanted all the details covered.

I didn't know Bill as well as some of you but I do go back as far as him bringing his vMax to Maxton. When he said he was gonna break 200, we all got a good chuckle. We didn't really know Bill back then. It wasn't long before we realized that he was different, very driven & very talented.

I think eventually someone will break Bills records, just hard to believe what it will take to control a bike that can accelerate to those speeds in those distance's.

Best of luck to those who will try,
Dan

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 06:24:42 AM »

lets just not exaggerate the facts here. nobody has a 1000 hp bike. 700 is on the ragged edge of needing billet everything. we can all estimate and plan for big numbers, but untill it happens its all just dreaming. save the bragging for when it happens. because it will happen :tu:

Using finely tuned controller you can tickle out more and more hp to the wheel, but if using big turbo and just the wastegate adjusted to, let`s say 30psi, itīs a sure thing it breaks everything way before reaching 1000hp. 700hp sounds quite right, about there the transmission falls apart (i broke it 3 times in 2 events)

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »
Ordering hateraide by the case. With certain people on this forum if did not build and blew it up it is not possible. How are these other 700hp motors failing? Whats breaking? Why? I dont think there has been much innovation in the turbo bike game in 10years.  :hys: haters going hate but they are still going to strap on a bigger turbo and expect bigger results. Something innovative comes along which you dont have personal experience with so therefore it is witch-magic.  If you need something chug your hateraide about I will say it makes 1100hp.
0fucks given to some peoples opinion on here as usual.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
I do not comprehend how anyone can go faster than 311 without using the same downforce tech that the Formula 1 cars have...........i.e. air foils.   A 320 mph wind is the equivalent of a invisible canted brick wall trying to stop you and lift you off the ground at the same time, IMO.  Look at how many Top Fuel Dragsters get airborne............a bunch, and they have 10K HP.  It is beyond my brain to see it as a reality.............I don't care how much HP ya got.  Then again, I am older now and still remember when you would pick up the phone and the operator would say "number please". 
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."