Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Clutch slipping 05 busa  (Read 24674 times)

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Re: Clutch slipping 05 busa
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »
this great!!. I am learning alot about clutches. thanks for all the info.

As for the last fiber I dont have to move it to the different notches!
hmm cool

Offline Jeremygg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 06:59:31 PM »
sorry two things to remember, on the later models the first (B) plate was replaced with the three part mod but its still the same thickness, and finally my old gripe remember to put the last plate in one slot round its important. (I'll give any one a chocolate muffin if they can tell me why).

Must I do this or will I get more life out of a clutch if it is all aligned in the same groves?

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 07:43:21 PM »
sorry two things to remember, on the later models the first (B) plate was replaced with the three part mod but its still the same thickness, and finally my old gripe remember to put the last plate in one slot round its important. (I'll give any one a chocolate muffin if they can tell me why).

Must I do this or will I get more life out of a clutch if it is all aligned in the same groves?

i have two accounts on accident!lol

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »
 :lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 01:04:10 AM »

Its a safety thing really I don't think it would be an issue with normal use. The explanation Sportbikerider gave is spot on.  IF you were a race guy then you might set it up different but then you would be inspecting more often. But for some one who just rides on the road and doesn't ever open the clutch to have a look then I would say do it as per the manual.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 02:04:26 AM »
Question? on a newly installed clutch pack is it necessary to bed it in with regular conventional Suzi oil or can you begin with Motul's 300v (with esther core) 10w-40 full synthetic racing oil?  Four 4 litre jugs of that stuff cost me over 220 bucks over the counter at the local Honda Shop here about a month ago. Enquiring minds wish to know. 

Thank you as always for your patience,

Dave

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:24:51 AM by Ghost-Geezer »
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 07:11:17 AM »
Soak them in whatever oil you intend to use(if doing an oil/filter change for example) or is currently in the bike(not doing an oil change,and just replacing clutch pack).
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
Back in 1978, I bought a used 1974 Norton Interstate and rode it across the US of A that summer with a buddy.  The clutch pak in that bike was all metal plates...........no fibres, why can we not do that?

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »
So it is hooking up completely! Not a once of slippage. I swapped out three of the springs for 3 heavy duty and its money. I had 4 pf the 6 but it was too hard to pull te lever in.
So I plan on racing everyone i can to see how this clutch stands up. Im at the drag strip dec 12th for some 1/8 fun.
I DO have a new OEM clutch just incase it is cooked.

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 11:58:15 PM »
So it is hooking up completely! Not a once of slippage. I swapped out three of the springs for 3 heavy duty and its money. I had 4 pf the 6 but it was too hard to pull te lever in.
So I plan on racing everyone i can to see how this clutch stands up. Im at the drag strip dec 12th for some 1/8 fun.
I DO have a new OEM clutch just incase!!

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 07:48:01 AM »
So at 6,000+ it's still locked and pulling to the rev limiter ? First gear, second gear, no issues or popping loose ?.....
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
Yes. Stayed locked and pulled to rev.

Offline DougChan

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2015, 02:30:58 AM »
Just went through this with my 05,just use the Brock's clutch mod center piece..some people weld the stock one , but it has to be clamped right when welded and run concentric. Measure the completed stack before installing.Mine came out to 1.989" . Only use the brock's spring spacers and stock springs.A brace for the cover that holds the slave is good insurance. The purple springs are stiff and the green ones are way too stiff and  will break you slave case first pull.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2015, 06:42:29 AM »
Just went through this with my 05,just use the Brock's clutch mod center piece..some people weld the stock one , but it has to be clamped right when welded and run concentric. Measure the completed stack before installing.Mine came out to 1.989" . Only use the brock's spring spacers and stock springs.A brace for the cover that holds the slave is good insurance. The purple springs are stiff and the green ones are way too stiff and  will break you slave case first pull.

Coming up through your way around 6:00 this morning bro,mama/her sisters/grandkids rented a cabin in Big Bear for the weekend(they went up yesterday)and told them I'd come up and spend today with them(just to keep me off the shit list :lol:).If I can find your phone # in the next 1/2 hour I'll give you a call when I'm up there. :thumb:

Jeff
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2015, 09:03:02 AM »

Coming up through your way around 6:00 this morning bro,mama/her sisters/grandkids rented a cabin in Big Bear for the weekend(they went up yesterday)and told them I'd come up and spend today with them(just to keep me off the shit list :lol:).If I can find your phone # in the next 1/2 hour I'll give you a call when I'm up there. :thumb:

Jeff
Ooooo,can I tag along too? :mrgreen:
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline DougChan

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2015, 11:32:38 AM »
hey pirate Jeff....im at my shop and my cell is 909 855 6429.. hope to see ya,,might have to put you to work!,,,need a little advice also

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2015, 11:53:27 AM »

I used three of the mildly stiff springs from brocks and it works great. Are you saying its not good to do that? That it will break?

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »

That is the exact same setup I have on my little 206 HP bike and it holds like a rock.  But, having said that, The Boss sez we need heavier springs or possibly a single stage lock up.  There will be a lot more torque at 380 HP than at 206. 

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »

Jeff

I waited a 1/2 hour for ya. :lol:

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »
hey pirate Jeff....im at my shop and my cell is 909 855 6429.. hope to see ya,,might have to put you to work!,,,need a little advice also

Shit,sorry I missed you today bro.Got up there just before 7:00AM and was colder'n shit(18 degrees),hung out at Bear Mountain for a few hours while the girlfriend's two grandkids(ages 5 and 7)skied(the 7 yr. old flies down the slopes :lol:).Was glad to get down the hill and home,77 degrees here at the house.Will be going back up in a couple of months and will give you a call. :thumb:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 09:03:58 AM by piratediverjefff »

Offline DougChan

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 11:14:23 PM »
jereymyg  1283 The brock's spacers are designed to be run with the stock springs. I drag race mine with a 16' 47 tooth sprockets and a slick.It has nice action off the line.The purple springs can be run with only 3 total and hold! The green ones will break the slave cyl. case without a good brace..lightly oil disc when assembling..The bottom line is the stack height, since you can't adjust the clutch.,,,the print of the stack is on this page and its the one to study carefully...make it fun!     Jeff , you won't even recognize my old busa when you see it!..gostgeezer's got me going nuts with my 60ft.!

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2015, 06:00:30 AM »

Jeff

Im almost there,another 2000mi to go.  :mrgreen:
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2015, 06:47:59 AM »

Jeff

Im almost there,another 2000mi to go.  :mrgreen:

:hys:

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2015, 06:50:32 AM »
jereymyg  1283 The brock's spacers are designed to be run with the stock springs. I drag race mine with a 16' 47 tooth sprockets and a slick.It has nice action off the line.The purple springs can be run with only 3 total and hold! The green ones will break the slave cyl. case without a good brace..lightly oil disc when assembling..The bottom line is the stack height, since you can't adjust the clutch.,,,the print of the stack is on this page and its the one to study carefully...make it fun!     Jeff , you won't even recognize my old busa when you see it!..gostgeezer's got me going nuts with my 60ft.!

I believe it bro,been a while since we've crossed paths.You still running often at Irwindale(Jeremy wants to start running up there)?

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2015, 07:39:08 AM »
Back in 1978, I bought a used 1974 Norton Interstate and rode it across the US of A that summer with a buddy.  The clutch pak in that bike was all metal plates...........no fibres, why can we not do that?
From what I understand, and it doe's make sense, it's because back in 1978 your Norton and just about anything else out there had nothing near the 206 HP of your currint Busa, let alone 3, 4, 5, hundred of some of our Turbos or race bikes, truth is clutch plates and disc,'s could be made of metal, soft steel, brass, combination's or whatever, but the plate pressure to lock them up would need a clutch lever about a foot and a half long, might get away with it in a drag race only useing some sort of progressive lock up, but I'm sure its been tryed,    a good example is the clutch system on a Top Fuel dragster, all metal clutch, plates, and floaters with the hydraulic/air/centrifical pressure plate putting enough force on the pack to lift a building, also it's been used in some automatic transmissions used in cars in the past, using brass and steel, and at the time they stayed better than the fiber stuff or whatever they used then, then over the years the fiber type disc's got made with much better material and had several benifits over the metal..............................Jesus I sound one of those jackass instuctor's from school years ago who's class's we all slept through :lol:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does