Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Clutch slipping 05 busa  (Read 24587 times)

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Clutch slipping 05 busa
« on: November 27, 2015, 10:54:53 PM »
So my bike has 13k on the clock. The clutch is slipping at WOT 6k up, thru the power band . Itw not too bad but definitely isnt proforming at its best. It doesn't slip
on launch or anywhere else. I am gonna grab some aftermarket stiffer springs. What springs do people suggest?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:54:03 AM by Jeremyg1283 »

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
Re: Clutch slipping 05 busa
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:02:43 AM »
Best thing is to replace the entire clutch pack with a new one,drain the oil drop the pan and clean any clutch dust/sludge that may have settled on the pan,clean the oil pick-up out as well. IMO,the instant a clutch slips under power and the revs climb,I replace it as its shot. Some of you may feel differently.

Definitely get HD springs,you can try 3-OEM/3-HD first as all 6HD springs may be a bit too much.
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 07:23:30 AM »

So my bike has 13,000 on the clock.

The clutch is slipping at WOT 6,000 RPM up, through the power band .

It's not too bad but definitely isn't performing at its best.

It doesn't slip on launch or anywhere else.

I am gonna grab some aftermarket stiffer springs.

What springs do people suggest?

Added the clutch modification taking out the lock cam ~ I'm sure that it's slipping at launch RPM's too .  .  .

:bah:

With modifications ~ comes maintenance .  .  .

1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 07:55:17 AM »
Hopefully it's not just in 2nd gear bro,or the trans. is comin' out.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 07:56:40 AM »
Best thing is to replace the entire clutch pack with a new one,drain the oil drop the pan and clean any clutch dust/sludge that may have settled on the pan,clean the oil pick-up out as well. IMO,the instant a clutch slips under power and the revs climb,I replace it as its shot. Some of you may feel differently.

Definitely get HD springs,you can try 3-OEM/3-HD first as all 6HD springs may be a bit too much.

A-1 advice right there. :tu:

On my little Stage 1 turbo bike I still had the original OEM clutch plates from 2003 until it got parted out in 2011 with 23,000 miles on them.Ran 3 factory/3 heavy springs and with 260 hp clutch never slipped in 8 years(2nd gear went though after around 7,000 miles so Chris put in a Carolina Cycles trans.).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:01:12 AM by piratediverjefff »
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
Used Brock's "Starfish-Shaped" back torque eliminator plus their backing plate with 2 HD springs and 4 standards.  Not too heavy a pull at the bar and no-slip, all grip........every gear.  Stock plates.  Only 206 RWHP.
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I have the Brocks HD springs coming and if that doesnt do it then I will swap out for another OEM clutch pack.

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 05:53:49 AM »
As a quick check on clutch wear you can take your filler cap off and see how much you have left in the short slot of the basket. But the best way is to pop the plates out inspect and measure the stack height.

Also I wouldn't go putting heavy springs in without a slave support or you might crack your casing.

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 07:02:08 AM »
Also I wouldn't go putting heavy springs in without a slave support or you might crack your casing.
Most definitely,thats a requirement even more so with all 6 HD springs. IMO,6 is overkill on a stock, N/A engine. You will crack the counter shaft cover where the slave cylinder bolts to it,in no time.

Jeremy,I'm almost 100% certain I have a slave-support for a Gen1 laying around in the shop. It's a "must have" on a Gen1 w HD springs :tu:
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 07:15:34 AM »
Ah you call it a "counter shaft cover" some call it a "sprocket cover" I call it a casing but all the same thing when it cracks ;)

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
Ah you call it a "counter shaft cover" some call it a "sprocket cover" I call it a casing but all the same thing when it cracks ;)

Yes, I agree completely with the "slave support"/"sprocket cover", and I should have mentioned it earlier.  Even on my Gen II, we put one on when the heavier spring pack was installed.  Sorry, I forgot that important detail.   

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »
With only 13K on it, why is it slipping?  Dragbike?
Ride em if ya got em

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »
With only 13K on it, why is it slipping?  Dragbike?

Another good point. I missed the 13k, with that sort of mileage I think I would pull the pack and have a looksee.

BTW  GG I'm British so hence the language difference.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:16:21 PM by Dillon »

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 02:47:25 PM »
He does have a slave support and wants to try out 3 of the heavier springs,if that doesn't do it then will throw in a new OEM clutch pack. :thumb:

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 02:51:56 PM »
It could be as simple as what oil he is running, A lot don't like fully synth, mine for one. Any way let us know how you  get on.

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 03:21:08 PM »
I am gonna change up the oil. I will put my slave support on once i get the hd springs. Does it say how to measure the stack in te manual?

Oil recommendations?

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 04:38:35 PM »
To measure stack height you literally stack up both drive and steel plates and measure the height. Nominal is 50.2mm

as for oil I prefer Castrol power1 semi synth.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:43:41 PM by Dillon »

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 08:15:39 PM »
Amsoil, 10/40 full synth.  Sold my 82 six cylinder air cooled CBX with 102,000 miles on it with a steady diet of Amsoil.  It's still on the road.  My 06 Busa has 53,000+ and has always had Amsoil and K&N filters.  It has the original clutch.  No slip and I lose about a half cup between changes.  Good stuff!
Ride em if ya got em

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 12:18:42 AM »
To measure stack height you literally stack up both drive and steel plates and measure the height. Nominal is 50.2mm

as for oil I prefer Castrol power1 semi synth.

awesome. Simple enough.
Thanks for the clutch diagram!

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 01:07:13 AM »
sorry two things to remember, on the later models the first (B) plate was replaced with the three part mod but its still the same thickness, and finally my old gripe remember to put the last plate in one slot round its important. (I'll give any one a chocolate muffin if they can tell me why).

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:09:41 AM by Dillon »

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 05:48:29 AM »
Mine did the same thing when the Turbo was first installed, I put in the HD springs and never had a problem after that and its over 45K with Turbo, did no other mods to the clutch, of course I'm a old fart and dont pound the hell out of it ether, just one other thing, keep the oil changed, I really don't have a oil preferance just stay with a good brand name with NO weird additives
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:30 AM »
sorry two things to remember, on the later models the first (B) plate was replaced with the three part mod but its still the same thickness, and finally my old gripe remember to put the last plate in one slot round its important. (I'll give any one a chocolate muffin if they can tell me why).

Moving the last fiber to the shallow slot is not required. Best I can tell it is an indicator for replacement of the clutch as it prevents the clutch from engaging on a worn stack. If it is placed in the "normal" slots, the clutch pack can be much smaller and still be loaded by the standard pressure plate.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 10:47:07 AM »

Moving the last fiber to the shallow slot is not required. Best I can tell it is an indicator for replacement of the clutch as it prevents the clutch from engaging on a worn stack. If it is placed in the "normal" slots, the clutch pack can be much smaller and still be loaded by the standard pressure plate.

When John speaks, I would advise us all to listen. 

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »

Where would you like your Muffin sent Sir.

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »
There's no reason to use heavy springs on a almost stock bike.  You are not overpowering the clutch.  The issue is in the clutch.  You have one or more steels or fibers that are worn.  Your stack height is below 2.000.  It could also be that your pressure plate is loose or your springs are worn.  Open it up and it will tell you the answer within 10 min.