Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Ricky Teaching How to Launch  (Read 28663 times)

Offline Jeremygg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Re: Ricky Teaching How to Launch
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »
BTW thqnks for looking old gixxer!
Anytime  :tu:

Btw,did you go with the purple Barney-suit? :hys:  :mrgreen:
No i bought a all black suit. Lol

Online Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »

Good points do you remember what kind of ET ran with your stock busa.

It does apply though how he spoke about the clutch and opening first and not letting our Rpm go up then coming out of the hole.

9.81 @ 141 with stock exhaust @ Sacramento Raceway .  .  .

Had you dynoed it?  HP?  My stock 06 dynoed at 160.something, not quite 161, I forget exactly.  With modified stock cans, just opened up a bit, it actually lost 5 HP.  They sound better though. :D. Had my CBXs dynoed that day too, at San Jose BMW.  BTW, in your pic, the front doesn't look tied down, was it?  I know the wheel's up but there's a lot of air between the fender and fairing.  Was your 9.81 pass tied down or lowered?
Ride em if ya got em

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 07:06:26 PM »

1) Had you dynoed it? 

2) HP? 

My stock 06 dynoed at 160.

Something, not quite 161, I forget exactly. 

With modified stock cans, just opened up a bit, it actually lost 5 HP. 

They sound better though. :D.

Had my CBXs dynoed that day too, at San Jose BMW. 

3) BTW, in your pic, the front doesn't look tied down, was it? 

I know the wheel's up but there's a lot of air between the fender and fairing. 

4) Was your 9.81 pass tied down or lowered?

1) Nope .

2) Stock motor .

3) Never tied down .

4) Made some rear links .

1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 09:24:07 PM »

Good points do you remember what kind of ET ran with your stock busa.

It does apply though how he spoke about the clutch and opening first and not letting our Rpm go up then coming out of the hole.

9.81 @ 141 with stock exhaust @ Sacramento Raceway .  .  .

so did u have your front wheel up for a reason or is that the best launch for you. most effiective?
pointers??

Offline DougChan

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 12:08:01 AM »
Jeremyg...I try to have clutch out and pinned at the tree. ,But mines 9 over lowered ,but stock motored. you need lower gears. Like Red says practice ,practice. if your going to Fontana , I will try to make it there on the 6th and 7th.

Offline Jeremygg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 01:24:20 AM »
Doug yours is 9 inches pover ? You hav pics of this? What do you mean by geared

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »

Jeremyg...

I try to have clutch out and pinned at the tree. 

But mines 9 over lowered ,
but stock motored.

You need lower gears.

Like Red says " Practice , practice . "

If your going to Fontana ,
I will try to make it there on the 6th and 7th.

http://www.hooliganunderground.com/NMRA/LACR-Finale-NMRA-TRAYs/

Yup,
Seat time will make you feel more comfortable with what you'll need to do .  .  .

When I was a poor drag bike racer ~ I could barely afford a new tire !

So to leave on the back wheel was how I made it hook up.

Click on that link above to see some good photos.

You'll get better with practice at the strip !

In E/T reaction time WINS races .

You don't need to be fast ?

Red,    *<(:{)-
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !

Offline Jeremygg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »
 I don't want to be motorcycle racer for a living I just want to have fun dragracing and get the best time I can possibly get.  That's cool that you figured out leaving  just on your rear tire got you a better ETA I guess seat time is the best teacher

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 04:15:28 PM »
I told a friend to bring the motor to4000rpm and throw the clutch. Stretched, strapped, and lowered. She immediately picked up a second. Best 60 foot was 1.61 I think.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2016, 04:50:40 PM »
So different on my bike.

On my Gen I Busa, stock except for stock modded header 4-2-1 into free flowing mid pipe and modded stock canister. 17/46, stock air filter w/small box mod, ECU editor.

9.70s @ 140mph w/1.50 60ft, 6.30 1/8th launching off idle and a 175lb suited rider at 5300ft. altitude

With me at 280lbs suited I had to launch at 5500 and try to hold it from dropping very little. I can only run 10.30s.

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
So different on my bike.

On my Gen I Busa, stock except for stock modded header 4-2-1 into free flowing mid pipe and modded stock canister. 17/46, stock air filter w/small box mod, ECU editor.

9.70s @ 140mph w/1.50 60ft, 6.30 1/8th launching off idle and a 175lb suited rider at 5300ft. altitude

With me at 280lbs suited I had to launch at 5500 and try to hold it from dropping very little. I can only run 10.30s.

So same bike you lost a 1/2 becuase you weight 280. Was the racer exp?
 I weight 185 suited so I have a chance of a 9 sec run.

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 05:06:13 AM »
So different on my bike.

The bike will be capable of a mid 9sec pass once you have the arm on it. Even if you launch off idle,and can lock the throttle wide open in 1st gear and nail the shift to second,it's gonna be difficult to not make a 9sec pass.
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline Jeremygg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
So different on my bike.

Ok cool. Well that is good to know. Thanks old gixxer.

The bike will be capable of a mid 9sec pass once you have the arm on it. Even if you launch off idle,and can lock the throttle wide open in 1st gear and nail the shift to second,it's gonna be difficult to not make a 9sec pass.

Offline DougChan

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 10:52:26 AM »
Jeremy,  I have a 16/47 combo,4 inch lowered front,3 inch lowered back, and it might be 10" over. I'm doing nothing but chassis work to max the bike out before throwing horse power at it. I'm 245 suited also. My weight hurts my 60' and everything else down the track. You'll see it at Fontana. I'm going to Irwindale Thurs. for one last test on another clutch set up. See ya at Fontana !

Offline Jeremygg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 11:57:16 AM »
Jeremy,  I have a 16/47 combo,4 inch lowered front,3 inch lowered back, and it might be 10" over. I'm doing nothing but chassis work to max the bike out before throwing horse power at it. I'm 245 suited also. My weight hurts my 60' and everything else down the track. You'll see it at Fontana. I'm going to Irwindale Thurs. for one last test on another clutch set up. See ya at Fontana !
Sweet man. I look forward to racing ya i mean eith y.. Lol

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »

Well I guess I'll have to ride up to Fontucky Sunday morning and hang out with/harass you guys. :lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 03:17:50 PM »

swing by and we can go up together. hope i can make enough passes

Well I guess I'll have to ride up to Fontucky Sunday morning and hang out with/harass you guys. :lol:

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2016, 07:10:42 PM »
So different on my bike.

Both of us experienced but he is more experienced with more time in the seat of his bikes and mine. Being over 100lbs heavier makes a huge difference not only in math but how the bike needs to be configured for different weight riders as well. I wheelie easier by 10 fold than my friend so a 6" extension would help me narrow the gap. It doesn't really help him as much because he doesn't "Romp" on it as hard as some of the pros. His style is better suited for SWB.

In April I am putting my stock engine back in and will have run it again as I did a few tweaks here and there.....shooting for 9.50

Offline Jeremyg1283

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 12:18:32 PM »
Busashot this is awesome info man. thanks for sharing yoyr exp../
I want to get my arm on and see how it runs
first order of business is seb runs to see where the hell this bike and my driving stand. I would imagine it will be low 10s to start. I have been woeking on my launching but need to watch skilled people so I can learn what I need to do and NOT do..lol

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 08:01:02 PM »
Sure thing. There are way more experienced Busa racers here on the .org. Most of my experience on Busas is all around skills. Road racing being one and back in early 2000s the top speed bug.

IMHO, depending on how someone launches can dictate how much stretch is needed or is warranted. My friend's technique works the same on SWB as well as 8" out on his 2012 ZX14R. In fact his best ET and MPH was at SWB.

Never road the Busa stretched so my only experienced on a stretched and lowered bike is my old 85 Kawi 750 Turbo w/6" stretch. Certainly helps with wheelies but I have had that one lucky hard launch with 100% grip then seeing nearly 12 o'clock with it. Strange feeling and painful when your chin slams the tank and then upon touchdown my cahones getting a nice kick in em........fun times indeed.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:18:04 PM by Busashot »

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »

I envy you.
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 07:41:09 PM »

I envy you.

Come on out old dude,Doug lives in Crestline/Jeremy in Riverside/myself in So. Corona so we're all just down the road from each other. :lol: :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline DougChan

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »
The tech guy for NHRA works both irwindale 8th mile on thurs. and Fontana's 1/4 mileon sat. and sun.A 6.40 e.t. and you have to get the NHRA license at irwindale.135 mph at Fontana and you have to get the license. I ran a 6.41 on thurs.on the 8th, and then at fontana ran 134.52mph. he asked if I was doing this on purpose! So close at both tracks.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 09:41:03 PM »
 :lol: :thumb: