Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: clunking front end over bumps  (Read 5362 times)

Offline johnnya1966

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
    • Days Gone By Motorcycles
clunking front end over bumps
« on: January 30, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »
Has anyone experienced a clunking noise in the front end when going over bumps/cracks in the road. My fork seal are not leaking, although I have never rebuilt the front end. I suspect it could be the steering damper. It seems to have more play than it should.

I'm stumped on this one! Any help would be appreciated.

John

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
Re: clunking front end over bumps
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
First place to check would be the steering stem for looseness as the clunking is a classic symptom.
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline johnnya1966

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
    • Days Gone By Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »
Good point!

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 06:05:29 PM »
The stock steering head bearing are poo IMO. Then they may have had a grease gun waved at them at the factory or maybe not.
I put an All Balls tapered bearing kit in and packed them like a wheel bearing end of problem.
Also check your caliper mounting bolts. The dealership left the bolts loose on one side after changing the tire and it clunked going over bumps and light braking. They ended up buying me a new caliper and repaired their work for free with a smile on their face after I explained if I lived how pissed I'd be if the caliper came adrift. :evil:
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:54:37 PM »
My word, men...............is anything on these bikes right from the factory?  We just found spider web cracks around one of the mounting bolts for the windscreen in my nose plastic.  Sucks for me.  :td:
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 10:13:41 PM »
My word, men...............is anything on these bikes right from the factory?  We just found spider web cracks around one of the mounting bolts for the windscreen in my nose plastic.  Sucks for me.  :td:
Tell them to apply some clear epoxy to the back side of it, cracks should not get any worse
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
Not seeing the bike directly its a guess, but ck the cheapest first, is it a clunk or a rattle? ck to see that the brake pads are not loose and making noise, if ok it could be the str head bearings, but you should also feel this poss when stopping while holding the front brake on, you may feel a chunk when you come to a stop
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:09:25 AM »
Tell them to apply some clear epoxy to the back side of it, cracks should not get any worse

He mentioned the possibility of doing a "repair", but if there is any doubt as to durability, I will spring for a new nose as long as it costs less than one large.  Money is in the mail today.  I'm broke............again.   :cry:
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."