Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Fan Thermostat Switch Not Connect To Wiring Harness And Fans Run Continuously  (Read 9820 times)

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Hi, my fan runs from the time the bike is started and the fan thermostat switch while installed in the radiator is not connected to the wiring harness. I think the bike was wired for the fans to run all the time. Where would I start to trace to see if it had?

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
did u just buy the bike??   maybe the previous owner installed a toggle switch some were ??????
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
Or maybe they wired it to stay on all the time just as a car fan spins all the time.   Hot climate?   
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Or maybe they wired it to stay on all the time just as a car fan spins all the time.   Hot climate?

I think that may be the case Geezer. I plan on doing some serious maintenance when the weather warms up a bit and I'll know for sure then. I plan on changing the plastics as soon as I order the last 2 pieces. I need a front fender and a belly wing. I'm having the side fairings clear coated over the Kanji. So if it's straight wired to run continuously it might be because the fan relay went bad and it was a quick fix.

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Either there is a fan switch on the bike as stated earlier, or the wires are shorted together.
[/quote

You were on point, while doing some exploratory maintenance today in preparations of her getting her new blue and silver dress I found this.

It's hot wired. Now were to find a plug, another harness is out of the question. Maybe I can make one. Any ideas?

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
I had to order a few small things from Ronayers like a right side radiator mounting bolt, a right side front engine mounting bolt ( the thread was stripped at the end and it won't start) , 3 fairing bolts, the air box duct cushions, 1 seat front bolt. Yesterday I ordered a front fender (Blue) and a belly wing (silver). The tank, side fairings and front cowl are at a local painters getting a fresh coat of clear. I still don't have a rear hump. I am thinking a Brock's 4-2-1 exhaust  but not sure which. Everybody and their sister has the Alien Head. I kind of want something different.

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
some one with mediocre soldering & wiring skills can repair that plug, just pull the plug off and solder spade connectors to the wires and plug em in

it burn,s when i pee

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
some one with mediocre soldering & wiring skills can repair that plug, just pull the plug off and solder spade connectors to the wires and plug em in

Thats just it, there is no plug.There is just the radiator fan switch and the wires from the plug hotwired together.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
I had to order a few small things from Ronayers like a right side radiator mounting bolt, a right side front engine mounting bolt ( the thread was stripped at the end and it won't start) , 3 fairing bolts, the air box duct cushions, 1 seat front bolt. Yesterday I ordered a front fender (Blue) and a belly wing (silver). The tank, side fairings and front cowl are at a local painters getting a fresh coat of clear. I still don't have a rear hump. I am thinking a Brock's 4-2-1 exhaust  but not sure which. Everybody and their sister has the Alien Head. I kind of want something different.

Call Rodney - he has my 1 year old Brock's full Ti racing system off my bike for sale.  Perfect/mint condition with 2700 miles on it.  You will save money.
Look up "Williford Racing" and give him a shout.............weeknights around 7:30 PM is a good time to catch him.  System weighs only 8.5 lbs head to tail.
I paid 1800 for it...............you can likely get it for about 1/2 that price.  Call him.  :tu:

Here is a pic of it on my bike last November -  It is a 4-2-1 - Brock's part # 397658
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:01:28 AM by Ghost-Geezer »
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Pm sent geezer

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master

Thats just it, there is no plug.There is just the radiator fan switch and the wires from the plug hotwired together.
small female spade connector soldered to each wire and plug them into the fan switch

it burn,s when i pee

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
 :D

it burn,s when i pee

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast

small female spade connector soldered to each wire and plug them into the fan switch

That works, I can pick up a soldering gun and those spades from Lowe's and make a boot out of something. Thanks TT

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:44:13 PM by tinmann840 »

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
just fill it with silicone or rtv

it burn,s when i pee

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
You ever get that fan straightened out ? I wired in my second fan from Schnitz with a PMR double toggle at the clutch. If I run it all the time, the factory never cycles. Works great in the Vegas heat. :thumb:
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
You ever get that fan straightened out ? I wired in my second fan from Schnitz with a PMR double toggle at the clutch. If I run it all the time, the factory never cycles. Works great in the Vegas heat. :thumb:
dont forget if it runs all the time it will tax the fuck out of your charging system especially when its hot out
and these charging systems are known to be shitty
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:01:37 PM by TT »

it burn,s when i pee

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Actually I have run it continuously. Thus far, no issue on the Gen I, that being said, maybe I was just lucky. Usually, I click it off after I get moving. You know, fire it up hot, getting it circulating while I'm pulling on the helmet. Click it off and go.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
correct me if im wrong but most gen1,s  had issues with the stator plug and the rectifier plugs melting i know mine did   and if u tax the charging sys im sure ur gonna run into this problem

it burn,s when i pee

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Well I had the system in play for three years prior to the accident which I am in the process of repairing right now.  I have had everything apart, front to back, but I haven't examined the plug to the rectifier. Great idea, while I'm dialing in oiling gaps on these bearings I'll take a few minutes and unplug the wiring harness and see if anything looks taxed. I wired the power from the battery, through a shut-off toggle under the hump to the fan. I wired the ground from the fan, through the PMR switch to the battery negative.

That way I was pulling primarily off the battery, and then onto the charging system. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.  :thumb: