Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: A strange electical problem.  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
A strange electical problem.
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:44:45 AM »
I'll try and keep this simple. My Bike is a 2004 UK model  :thumb:

For some time I have been running an Acumen digi gear indicator, they come in two forms Hard wire and plug in and play. I have the plug in and play which basically just a short spur that plugs in between the bike loom and the clocks.  Now this all works fine.  :thumb:

I have Just bought a Raptor Performance shift light it has three wires to install. A switched live, a ground, and the tacho pick up.

Originally I ran a separate switched live and ground up and spliced the tacho pick up into the plug in and play loom, I did this so I wouldn't have to disturb the original loom. Everything worked as it should in my garage the shift light goes through its start up sequence etc, and it works as it should on paddock stands the shift light coming on at what ever rpm is set.

HERES THE PROBLEM  when I go out for a ride the shift light intermittently flashes at me often when I shift gear and some times for no reason at all..

Any Ideas so far.

Today I decided to re wire the shift light direct into the main loom, live went to orange/grn, ground to Black/white and tacho to yellow/blue.  Again its all working fine in the garage.

Just as an experiment and because I was wondering if the gear indicator was affecting  the shift light because they share the same tach wire I unplugged the plug in and play harness and then plugged the main harness direct into the clocks so leaving only the shift light wired in.

Here's the funny thing The clocks stopped working, when I turn the ignition on they power up but don't zero and tacho the clock and the odometer don't work. But if I plug the plug in and play harness back in line then it all works again.

Im stumped. any Ideas any one Please.

Offline Dillon

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Re: A strange electical problem.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:57:13 AM »
I think Im getting there this connector has a bit of corrosion does any one know how to release the wires from this connector its the one that plugs into the back of the clocks.