Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Brock's Alien Head Clearance Issue  (Read 8706 times)

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Brock's Alien Head Clearance Issue
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
Has anyone ever had an issue with clearance of the header and the radiator. I installed mine yesterday and now there is very little clearance between the radiator fan and the header pipe and I can't make the radiator bracket at all. I guess I can crank the bolts as much as possible without breaking them to see if that will suck it in. It might bend the flanges a bit though.

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: Brock's Alien Head Clearance Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »
there isn't much clearance
Thomas

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »
Just looked at mine(Short Meg but same header,etc.)and have about 1/4" of clearance on #'s 1 and 4,and just slightly less on 2 and 3.Really tight in there,but have had it on for 4 years now with no issues.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:34:32 PM »
The problem is that I can't make the bolts on my oil cooler bracket. The oil cooler is touching the header. I even tried to take out the gaskets and use prematex. See how much room there is between the header and the engine? I can reach in and grab my oil filter and that has never been the case.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:37:09 PM by tinmann840 »

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:51:02 PM »
Before it turned dark I took it off and but a used Akrapovic I'd bought right before getting the Brock. It went on no fuss in less than an hour and has normal clearance. I contacted Brock and I hope I can get this sorted out because I really like the look of the 20" Alien Head system.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:12:50 AM »
I had a couple of hassles myself(one was getting the radiator bracket bolt back in)and was about to give up when a friend stopped by and managed to get it.I only have a couple of pictures I took back then and they really don't show anything,been 4 years now and I can't remember if I had a problem with the oil cooler bracket or not.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 05:36:53 AM »
Welcome to the world of self wrenching, if anyone ever buys a bike acc, and it just simply "bolts on " as said that definatly not the norm, whats really bad is if you buy these parts and take the bike to a bike mech, and he charges you by the hr to install your goodies, and finds they don't fit right, then ether starts over with differant parts or "charges" more to make them fit :bah:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 07:28:41 AM »
Well this Akropovic went on no problem in under an hour.

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 08:38:42 AM »
And it was almost dark. I took the radiator back off first light because the cheap Ivan pair valve block offs didn't fit and I had to order some other. I'm an ironworker son I wrench every day. I'm not new to this, I'm true to this.

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
And another thing, after making exhaust for the gen 1 for 17 years you'd think it would be down to a science.
Update: I made a dry run at it after work today and after a little bull work I think I have the clearance I need. I have this much space now with nothing tightened but the radiator and oil cooler nuts

That's with only one bolt per exhaust port and neither of them are tightened as you can see in the photo. I think I can gain another half inch to an inch with it all buttoned down, I'm just waiting for some new gaskets.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:17:02 PM by tinmann840 »

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:01 AM »
Looking good bro,let us know the final outcome. :thumb:

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 08:16:10 PM »
I'm close. I need to wire the new undertail, doing the airbox mod, waiting on a new chain, sprockets and rivet tool/chain breaker and put the side fairings on. The fairings are on deck waiting.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:20:15 PM »
Looking good! :tu:

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 09:32:47 PM »
I ran into a problem, I replaced the fuel lines because they were kinking when the tank was down and not the new lines are kinking too.Who sells anti kink fuel lines or the protective spring that prevent kinking without paying $40.00 + for 2 lousy fuel lines and springs oem at Ronaryers?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:35:03 PM by tinmann840 »

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
Did they give advice from Brocks ?

Some exhausts need spacer under the cooler bracket, and longer bolts

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »
Just about there.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:00:09 PM by tinmann840 »

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 08:36:05 PM »
Looks clean bro. :thumb:

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 07:04:54 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I tried an aftermarket undertail but I didn't like the looks of it. It just didn't look, feel or flow right with the bike like the old Top Gun or UFO undertails did so I bought a used fender tray and went back to the original dookie tail. I will trim it this weekend. I still have the modded tray in the event I do find a undertail I really like. It would probably look better if the bike was lowered and stretched.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:06:36 AM by tinmann840 »