Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Steering Damper Fluid info please....anyone ?.  (Read 7160 times)

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Steering Damper Fluid info please....anyone ?.
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
Morning Guys !

Steering damper threads all over the place. No discernible exacting info found, just what folks have used.

Common fluid viscosity assumption is 15 weight. Not sure if it is or isn't. Is the fluid in the damper fork oil, or general hydraulic oil of one sort or another ?. Looking to refresh the fluid as I have 60,000 on the original. Never had malfunction, or leakage from the damper. I just thought if I have everything torn down from the wreck, just having the forks rebuilt and all, now would be a good time to drain and refill it with fresh oil.

Seen all the videos, and read all the posts. What would be a good reasonable replacement fluid to use ?. Have seen everything from high viscosity gear oil, to engine oils of varying viscosities.

Like I said, I have never had issue with my damper, just want to service it properly.

Thanks for your time, and the read !.

A.

Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
Re: Steering Damper Fluid info please....anyone ?.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:08:14 AM »
Synthetic gear oil stiffens it up nicely, like 75w-90.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/

You need to cycle it and drain out all the old stuff, then use a syringe or the submersion method to get it full again.
Closed course. Professional rider. Do not attempt.

Still privately owned and operated by Hayabusa owner enthusiasts. 2002, small  a/a kit, CF body

If it's in a truck or trailer, it's being stolen

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:49:45 PM »
Synthetic gear oil stiffens it up nicely, like 75w-90.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/

You need to cycle it and drain out all the old stuff, then use a syringe or the submersion method to get it full again.
Definatly +1 on this, getting the old stuff out is not that big a deal just cycle it back and forth with the plug out, submersion will work for filling but I had good results with a small plastic siringe took a while, it will help if the gear oil is warm rather than ice cold
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 07:37:11 AM »
Morning, and Thank You !......

Thanks for the info. How much stiffer are we talking ?. I'm an Amsoil guy so the product recommendation is appreciated. Where might I find syringes that would fit ?....

A.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
Morning, and Thank You !......

Thanks for the info. How much stiffer are we talking ?. I'm an Amsoil guy so the product recommendation is appreciated. Where might I find syringes that would fit ?....

A.
I have 75-90 in mine and when it was first done I noticed it was a little stiff especialy when cold, but not bad at all, in any case, I'l live with a little stiff and have no head shake, and I meen none since I put in that gear oil no matter what I did I never had any head shake............and I got the syringes at a pet food store, there used to squirt medication in your dogs mouth, what I did was after emptying the old fluid from the damper, i took the outer section of the syringe without the plunger and stuck it in the fill hole of the damper, then set it so the syringe was upright, and just put a little in at a time till the bubbles coming up quit, it took a while
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 07:52:08 AM »
Morning Dave, and Admin (whomever you are  :lol:)......

I picked up a couple smaller syringes, tonight after work at the Walgreens, and the tips seem about right at around 4mm. The thread is just shy of that. So let me see what's what. I can run out to the Amsoil warehouse Monday.

Sounds like a nice improvement to the stability of the machine. Just curious as to how thick it really is. If it feels too thick I can always pull the damper, and change it. I was surprised when I pulled the torx out and it had a nylon seal underneath the head like it was designed to be serviced, or something.

Appears to me to not just be a one-time assembled item. Interesting.

Thanks agents, I'll get on this.   :thumb:

A.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:44:29 PM »
Morning Dave, and Admin (whomever you are  :lol:)......

I picked up a couple smaller syringes, tonight after work at the Walgreens, and the tips seem about right at around 4mm. The thread is just shy of that. So let me see what's what. I can run out to the Amsoil warehouse Monday.

Sounds like a nice improvement to the stability of the machine. Just curious as to how thick it really is. If it feels too thick I can always pull the damper, and change it. I was surprised when I pulled the torx out and it had a nylon seal underneath the head like it was designed to be serviced, or something.

Appears to me to not just be a one-time assembled item. Interesting.

Thanks agents, I'll get on this.   :thumb:

A.
Yea, thats what I thought to but after doing it that first time I never had to do it again, I did a couple of other guys dampers, and when I said I was puting gear oil in them they had a shit fit, said no way, I had my bikes front end jacked up whaere you could turn the bars back and forth, and these dudes did not believe there was 90w oil the the damper, when I did theres and they road there bikes they could not believe it would make that much differance one guy was fixing to spend 4  or 5 hundred dollars on a real high dollar damper set up, I said I'd take off the damper change the fluid and change the oil&filter in the eng and adjust his chain for 50 bucks if he bought the stuff......he give me $100..........

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 08:01:45 AM »
Hey Dave !,

That is testimony enough for me. I had done some research, and was also looking at fork oil in a 20 wt,versus using what sounded to me like hysterically thick fluid. That said, I know you guys have already felt the difference, compared the performance characteristics, and judged the Amsoil product as suitable.

I have a preferred customer account, and the Severe Duty 75/90 isn't that expensive. Besides the fact that you guys highly recommend it, thus a no-brainier.

Once I get the damper done, the new brake master fitted and bled, the sooner I can get back to finishing the motor. This post-crash overhaul is just one level of meticulous to the next. Gotta know everything is as it should be so I am free to turn the grip as far as I like without care.

Thanks Dave, you and Admin's input comes with a good level of appreciation, and respect !.

A.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:03:19 AM by LVBUSA »

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »
A 90wt gear oil has about the same viscosity of a 30wt motor oil so your buddy need not to panic.
The labeling has always confused me.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 08:13:41 AM »
Much appreciated MJ,

I found that same data somewhere also. At the moment it sounded like 75/90 was molasses which it isn't. Looking forward to picking the product up in the morning.

A.