Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Gen 1 gearbox.  (Read 4500 times)

Offline ooliganpete

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
Gen 1 gearbox.
« on: May 13, 2016, 06:46:48 AM »
Hiya.
My Gen 1 5th gear has started to start 'jumping' and rattling. I think the tapers on the cog are buggered.
I've been told it's a complete strip out job that's very expensive and may be cheaper to swap out the engine. Any help, thoughts, ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.   :(  :?

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Gen 1 gearbox.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 07:05:48 PM »
The only way it may be cheaper is if you got a used engine from a junkyard or ebay ...........and then you would be taking a chance that its good and not worse than what you have, cheapest way that would get your bike fixed is get yourself a good shop manual, and have a it, you do have to pull the eng and split the cases, and you will need a few tools, and while not absolutly nessessary, a bike lift makes things a lot easyer, something to remember is all you would spend for this basic equipment will not equal what a shop would charge for just the labor, but if your not the mechanical type, get out your credit card and wait and PAY
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline ooliganpete

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »
Thanks Rocketgeezer. That's just about what I was thinking....split and rebuild. Was offered a good Gen 2 engine but need 32 bit ecu and other things. That would make it just as expensive as getting someone to strip mine.

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
What year is your bike? And can't you put the Gen 1 stator and rotor on the Gen 2??

That said, it is not hard to pull the trans, just requires time and wrenching.
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
i have a couple complete gen 1 trannies
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.