Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Clutch Slave Cylinder pushrod oil seal - split case?  (Read 6506 times)

Offline Flash Jorden

• Rider
Clutch Slave Cylinder pushrod oil seal - split case?
« on: June 14, 2016, 02:49:12 PM »
Hello all!,

So I'm a dumb a$$. My hydraulic clutch went out, and upon inspection, it was time for a rebuild of both the master and the slave cylinders (clutch disengagement cylinder). No problem, ordered the kits, took my time, got them both done. In the kit for the slave cylinder was a new oil seal for the push rod. My dumb self thought it was a press-in oil seal, like on most cars. so after destroying the one on the bike trying to get it out, i realize it isn't. So now I have a dilemma. What to do now. Try and ride with it as is. Which I'm thinking is a real dummy move, as oil will come out while riding, right in front of my rear tire. Or do it right (I think) and split the case and properly replace the seal. So two questions:

1.) Am I right, the only way to replace the seal is to split the case (drop the lower end)

2.) Can that be done with the engine in the bike, or does it have to come out?

Thanks!

#knucklehead

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers

Offline Flash Jorden

• Rider
Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder pushrod oil seal - split case?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:54:14 PM »
Thanks, I see I have to split the case. I did stumble upon some other posts about it too. The SEARCH function would have been my friend.
It also appears that it's possible to drop the lower end without pulling the engine out of the bike. Can you confirm/deny?

Thanks,

-Jorden

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 04:37:25 PM »
By the time you did that you might as well drop the engine. Can't see any advantage in time and would be really hard to keep everything correct and clean during assembly.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline Flash Jorden

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 05:07:35 PM »
Yeah, makes sense. I can't seem to find a YouTube video on the process, so maybe I'll shoot one of my ordeal.
Which shop manual (name or link please please) should I get to follow?

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 10:02:20 PM »
Yeah, makes sense. I can't seem to find a YouTube video on the process, so maybe I'll shoot one of my ordeal.
Which shop manual (name or link please please) should I get to follow?
Being its your first time, hopefully it wont be often enough to get good at it, (like me) droping the motor from a Busa is not really a big deal, get yourself a good manuel, not a factory but one with good pics as you go, I got a Haynes on line years ago, dont remember if it was ebay or amazon,  and just follow step by step, remember to drain oil first, a few things are a got to have a nice clean place to work a bench or area to spread things out and not have them disturbed, and some way to get the bike jacked up enough to drop the eng down and out, a cheap bike table from harbor freight, and there are some special sockets needed for the eng mounts, you can make your own and be careful with the nut on the counter shaft spocket,  just go slow take your time, and follow the book exactly ......at least this time,  good luck
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Flash Jorden

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »
Thanks all. Engine is out, case is split, will be sending the tranny out to be undercut.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »
Thanks all. Engine is out, case is split, will be sending the tranny out to be undercut.
Who is doing the trans? and if you dont mind what is it costing? I'm asking cause I seriously think of having it done.......you can PM me if you want
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does