Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: I need a recommendation for a inline fuel filter  (Read 5524 times)

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
I need a recommendation for a inline fuel filter
« on: June 26, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
Since I  removed and changed the stock fuel pump with a aftermarket pump I have decided to do the inline fuel filter mod and do away with the stock filter altogether. Can someone recommend a really good filter that won't restrict the flow of fuel and maintain the proper and constant fuel pressure? As you can see the stock filter had partially disintegrated from time and lack of proper maintenance and you can guess where it all ended up...in my injectors. I cleaned the fuel rail, replaced the injectors  and ran seafoam through the system but now I need a filter.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: I need a recommendation for a inline fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 03:37:15 PM »
One problem with putting a inline on the bikes is get it mounted in a way so as you don't pinch the hoses, and as far as which filter to use you would want to use a big a inlet and outlet as possable at least a 5/16 line or bigger, and it should be mounted in a way that allows for easy access, so it can be checked like at oil changes take it off and blow through it to be sure its not clogging up, I had all sorts of trouble when I had the pump mounted under the tank along with the filter, lines it was  bitch making sure the lines didn't kink every time you raise or lower the tank, last year I mounted a new pump under the tail now theres all sorts of room, and the pump I used has  big fine mesh screen in the inlet fitting so I did not bother with a filter, I also put on a new billit fuel rail, injectors, and lines and fittings....once I got the tune up straitened out the bikes never run better
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline tinmann840

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 05:47:09 PM »
One problem with putting a inline on the bikes is get it mounted in a way so as you don't pinch the hoses, and as far as which filter to use you would want to use a big a inlet and outlet as possable at least a 5/16 line or bigger, and it should be mounted in a way that allows for easy access, so it can be checked like at oil changes take it off and blow through it to be sure its not clogging up, I had all sorts of trouble when I had the pump mounted under the tank along with the filter, lines it was  bitch making sure the lines didn't kink every time you raise or lower the tank, last year I mounted a new pump under the tail now theres all sorts of room, and the pump I used has  big fine mesh screen in the inlet fitting so I did not bother with a filter, I also put on a new billit fuel rail, injectors, and lines and fittings....once I got the tune up straitened out the bikes never run better

Which pump did you use? I have plans to use a Bosch 044 and a Aeromotive fuel regulator but I would still need a filter with that set up.

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:58:21 AM »
Hey Dave, we did a write up, and install. Where was it ?

"All motor talk" top of page 2. This was a stock motor preventative. Runs great, and we even have some burst psi numbers also.

A.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:05:38 AM by LVBUSA »
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:18:25 PM »

Which pump did you use? I have plans to use a Bosch 044 and a Aeromotive fuel regulator but I would still need a filter with that set up.
I used that big AEM pump same size as the 44, and this pump is a real hoss, had to redo the complete tune up with my old pump I had been running about 50lbs at idle, to get close I had to back it down to under 40, also I'm sure the new fuel rail, lines, hose's and line's/fittings had a lot to do with this, I would never advise anybody to run with no filter, but this comes under  do as I say and not as I do, :lol: be advised that pump is a huge pump, big volume, draws a bunch of amps, with that pump running and if you have a bunch of electronics, HID headlight, it will struggle at idle speed to stay at a charging voltage, mine does but just, when I turn on the aux rad fan you can see the fuel pressure drop a couple lbs, comes up ok when your in the gas, not really a big deal,  just something to be aware of
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does