Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: NARDO circular track in Italy, and race for FIM records  (Read 3984 times)

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
Re: NARDO circular track in Italy, and race for FIM records
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 12:29:35 PM »
I think the first attempt failed, they had to cancel it. You know, if they ask 3000 for entry there is just not enough riders who would pay that kind of money. It`s just the thing with FIM, why to pay silly money to get your name in some record book when you can spend it in the bike making it go faster and run it in acknowledged events, and get your name in SH.org pages  :D
I usually pay 30-300€ entrance fee, depending on the event.

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 04:29:45 PM »
Recall reading an article about Nardo in "Fast Facts" a couple of years back,, Will go thru my collection and see if I can find an answer ,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle 200mph at Bonneville,,

Offline AlterEgo

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 04:09:39 PM »
The FIM has short distance closed circuit records along with the long distance LSR venues such as Bonneville.

Return runs on a closed course not needed since it is in a circle, as you go around the track, theoretically all variables, wind, elevation etc... would be averaged and thus a true unaided speed.
I am my own AlterEgo

Offline AlterEgo

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »
FIM track rules and closed circuit tracks

018.8 RECOGNISED METHOD OF EXPRESSION
The result of a record attempt must be expressed and published according to the
degree of accuracy of the time-keeping apparatus used and calculated on actual
distance.
Long Distance records must be expressed in times, and period records in distances.
The speed must also be given in km/h, to the nearest metre without any rounding off
of the calculated figures.
For the purposes of conversion, one mile is calculated as 1.609344 km and one
kilometre as 0.6213712 miles.
018.9 SITES WHERE RECORD ATTEMPTS CAN TAKE PLACE
Record attempts can be made on a permanent track, on an autodrome or on a
temporary track, provided that the sites conform to the conditions stated below and
that they are certified or homologated by the FIM.
018.10 TRACKS
To reduce to a maximum all natural assistance, the track used for a record attempt
must conform to the following requirements:
018.10.1 For Short Distance Records
A straight course between two points not having a gradient of more than 1% be used.
For record attempts with a flying start, where speeds do not exceed 500 km/h, the
track shall extend a minimum of 1500 m at each end of the timing zone. For speeds
exceeding 500 km/h, the track shall extend a minimum of 3000 m at each end of the
timing zone. These extensions of the track must not have a gradient of more than
1%.
018.10.2 For Long Distance and Period Records
A straight course between two points of the same altitude may be used or a closed
circuit, if possible, of a maximum length of 10 km the road surface of which must be
of a modern type ensuring good grip.
018.11 REGULATIONS FOR MEASURING TRACKS
All permanent tracks must have a "record line" of 15 cm width marked with indelible
anti-skid paint. It must be marked along the whole length of the track in the following
way.
Between two successive bends in the same direction which are separated by a
straight, the record line will be marked out parallel to the inside edge of the track,
between its mid-point and 90 cm from the inside edge.
Between two successive bends in opposite directions separated by a straight, the
record line shall continue as it leaves the first bend, diagonally across the straight
and enter the second bend on the inside.
Between two successive bends in opposite directions without a straight separating
them, the record line of the two bends must be joined by a tangent common to the
two curves.
Temporary tracks, whether or not they are closed circuits with bends, must be
measured out as indicated above.
On temporary tracks, alternative, appropriate marking methods may be used as
dictated by speed and/or environmental concerns.

A number of listed FIM records were
set at the  NARDO circular track in Italy.

Do any of our readers know if
the bikes ran BOTH directions ?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/italy-fimsanctioned-land-speed-record-facility/

http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threads/82393-Nardo-Speed-Trails

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2012/10/24/europe-to-have-first-annual-motorcycle-land-speed-trials-in-2013/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nard%C3%B2_Ring

I am my own AlterEgo

Offline AlterEgo

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 05:30:04 PM »
Along with prior comment, the FIM records on a closed circuit are endurance records, like how fast and how  many Kilos, miles covered in an hour, 6 hours, 12 hours etc.....

The FIM has short distance closed circuit records along with the long distance LSR venues such as Bonneville.

Return runs on a closed course not needed since it is in a circle, as you go around the track, theoretically all variables, wind, elevation etc... would be averaged and thus a true unaided speed.
I am my own AlterEgo