Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Turbo question, any experts out there?  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Kuma

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Turbo question, any experts out there?
« on: July 22, 2016, 11:59:49 PM »
OK, so I have this mini buggy, putting a 07 busa engine in it.
I have a turbo but I don't know if it is too small or just right or what, I'm not looking to buy another just want to know if this would work.
it is a mitsubishi from a Dodge, the engine it is off of is a 2.6 liter and rated at only 155 hp,
I figure since the busa red lines at about 2X the dodge maybe it'll work but then again if it will only pump enough to support 155ht then is it going to choke off the motor at the higher rpms?
My thought is that if it will give me 5-6 psi boost at the lower rpm and can still supply 1 or 2 at max revs then I should get the benefits from in the way of more hp and torque at the lower rpms and as long as I don't reduce the power by limiting the air at the higher rpms and maintain at least stock power I would be happy.
Now for part 2 of the question, can I control the maping for the turbo with just a power commander with the close loop o2 sensor installed.
as you may have guessed, I'm trying to do this on a budget.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Turbo question, any experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 07:30:52 AM »
Turbo is small. I'd recommend dismissing the turbo idea as the learning curve for a budget build will likely cost much more in the long run.

Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline Kuma

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »
that's what I needed to hear, thanks, maybe I'll sell the turbo I have and start a fund for a correct turbo kit.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 06:57:03 PM »
I know the Turbo you have as I have been Mopar mechanic for years that turbo would work, but it would run out of air way to soon, it may work on a smaller eng a 600 or 750 but not a Busa, the smallest turbo you should consider would be a Garret T-28 or GT-28, .............RCC would the builder of choice, be very mindful of buying off E-Bay or a used setup privately, ............ck your PMs
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does