Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: When nitrous goes bad  (Read 4662 times)

Offline MICHAEL MATHEWS

• Rider

Online Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: When nitrous goes bad
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 02:50:41 AM »
Manoman!  Those guys don't wear fire suits either, just relatively thin leathers, not even as durable as say, Cortech type riding clothes.  Melted leather on melted skin.  Damn.  Hope he heals well.  I was badly burned myself as a kid and one of my brothers as well, when he was in high school, missing his entire senior year.  The recovery regime is painful as hell.
Ride em if ya got em

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »
Having run nitrous myself for many years, and after running that vid several time, while I dont know exactly what sort of nitrous setup he had but for it to fireball and burn like that he had to have been running some sort of a wet system into the airbox, maybe a spraybar of some sort, nozzle type systems would give you a big boom and fire but not quite like that,
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »
Blessings to the rider...
Getting "Blown" is a hell-of-a drug...STUNNAH...

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 08:57:52 AM »
I believe the engine dropped an intake valve causing the initial nitrous /fuel expolosion, which blew apart the fuel tank, causing the secondary explosion and large fire. This is from piecing together bits of info and not necrssarily.exactly how it happened.

Shayne has second degree burns on his legs and I believe a broken cola bine of some other bone in his shoulder from when he finally slowed down to about 85mph and bailed off of the bike.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:00:32 AM by sportbikeryder »
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 03:33:12 PM »
I dont know what kind of system was on the bike but I bave mad respect for Shane trying to slow that bitch down to get off.
After that explosion happened he maintained a clear enough head to stay on even with flames on him. Big Prop's!