Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Assembly of case halves, and transmission shaft question.  (Read 4052 times)

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Assembly of case halves, and transmission shaft question.
« on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:52 AM »
Morning all.

Finally got everything assembled last night on my first bottom end build. Torqued to spec, all 9, 8, 6, and 10mm. Cannot tell you how enjoyable learning to do this has been for me.

Crank rotates freely. Case halves are even and tight all the way around. Took special care, and attention to the transmission bearing pins, and bearing cap dowels. Put suzukibond in all the right places. Validated the tranny lubrication circuit. Used redline everywhere. Seam around the motor is tight and even.

My question is this: The input shaft has a bit of resistance to it. The output shaft turns easier. Are they both supposed to turn about the same ?. I made sure everything was seated in the trans cradles, and torque was evenly applied.

Just curious. Anyone ?.

Thanks for the read !.

A.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Re: Assembly of case halves, and transmission shaft question.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »
Yes indeed. I have all six forward gears, and a neutral. All forks seated in their grooves. I caked the transmission with Redline prior to installation. Problem is, Redline seems to thicken a bit after being out of the container. Thus my answer for the sluggish turning shafts. Put some Redline out on a piece of cardboard for a couple days and it becomes paste-like. So I have moved forward with shimming the heads, and will milk the transmission well with startup oil prior to spinning up the oil pressure.

I haven't validated freeing up the transmission rotation yet, but will here shortly and report back.

Thanks 01' !
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Re: Assembly of case halves, and transmission shaft question.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
For those assembling a bottom end, case halves, for the first time.

After validating fork positions, and gear range I found only a couple interesting issues. I actually went back, and double checked everything from sealant bead on the inside, and outside, to generally assembly.

I lubricated the transmission, fork grooves, and rotating gears with 10w40 Amsoil. Rotated the transmission until free from the Redline which does actually have a heavy viscosity to it if left for a short time.

I then thought to lubricate the open ended bearings individually which required I remove the output shaft seal. Just for good, thorough attention to detail I removed it, and VOILA, there was the newly acquired shaft drag I noticed after things sat for a couple days.

For those on a first build, please assess gear shift range order, fork seating in their respective grooves, and rotational freedom prior to installing the output shaft seal. Once you do, there will be a significant increase in rotational resistance of the input(clutch side), and output(chain gear side) shafts required to rotate the gear shafts. It is a noticeable increase that might catch you off guard, this being a first time through the assembly.

Please also remember the four dowel pins, and a thorough cleaning of the sealant bead surfaces outlined in the manual, before squeezing your Suzuki bond in the right places prior to assembly. Once you squeeze, or finger the sealant in place, time is of the essence !. Torque to specs, and check your beads, rotation of crank, and transmission.

Have a good time !.

A.