Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 1st gear jumping?  (Read 6892 times)

Offline ABIGMEANIE

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
1st gear jumping?
« on: October 07, 2016, 09:32:32 PM »
Hi, I just purchased a 2001 Busa about 3 months ago for about $1500, it seamed like a steal so i jumped on it, it needed a new chain it was practically dragging on the floor and all the liquids were brown. So I gave her a transfusion drained all the old stuff out and put in all motul. So heres the problem i been searching for answers for over 3 months...

When I am launching at the green light it seams like the 1st gear is jumping? Once I get let the clutch all the way out its in first gear locks in place and everything is fine I power wheelie all the way up. But while i am slipping first gear in it feels like something is jumping!  Second gear i have to give it a lil extra toe strength to get it in but its ok other than that. I can shift all day on the freeway. The problem is from 0mph-15mph in first gear it wants to buck me off the bike its jumping so much. I have to launch like a 90 yr old granny. Somebody is gonna run me over one of these days!

I took the clutch bucket out, everything seems fine in there, I added the shift lock mod and I added the Support from APE

Is it my shift fork? Is it my dog gears round? Is it the star? 

Whats the solution?

I been searching for the answer for months!

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
Re: 1st gear jumping?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:28:07 AM »

Hi, I just purchased a 2001 Hayausa about 3 months ago for about $1500,
it seamed like a steal so i jumped on it, it needed a new chain it was practically dragging on the floor and all the liquids were brown.

So I gave her a transfusion drained all the old stuff out and put in all Motul.

So here's the problem i been searching for answers for over 3 months .  .  . 

When I am launching at the green light it seams like the 1st gear is jumping?

Once I get let the clutch all the way out its in first gear locks in place and everything is fine I power wheelie all the way up.

But while I am slipping first gear in it feels like something is jumping! 

Second gear I have to give it a little extra toe strength to get it in but its ok other than that.

I can shift all day on the freeway.

The problem is from 0 mph-15 mph in first gear it wants to buck me off the bike its jumping so much.

I have to launch like a 90 yr old granny.

Somebody is gonna run me over one of these days!

I took the clutch bucket out,
everything seems fine in there,
I added the shift lock mod and I added the Support from APE

Is it my shift fork?

Is it my dog gears round?

Is it the star? 

Whats the solution?

I been searching for the answer for months!

1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !

Offline ABIGMEANIE

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »
Anyone?

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 08:41:33 PM »
Open it up, the gears, drive dogs and the fork are probably toast.  You may be able to save the gears and drive dogs by sending them to MT, APE or one of the other pros set up to back cut busa tranny.  Get a new fork.
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 08:52:20 PM »
Did you measure the stack height?
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline ABIGMEANIE

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 09:59:58 PM »
Did you measure the stack height?

No sir, i did not know about measuring the stack height, I am researching it now! Also I am new to trannys!

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 02:36:41 AM »
Seems like if your shift forks were bad it wouldnt go i to gear in very well in the first place. If your dogs were bad it would pop out of gear (second for sure). From what you've decribed i have to wonder if its the clucth itself. Maybe warped steels, incorrect stack heigth or mis assembled/wrong spacer. Also, look for notches in the basket fingers where the friction plates lock into place. They can wear groves and then bind up. If your steels are warped you can experience sort of random grabby"ous", but usually with warped steels the clutch won't fully engage when under load. If the clutch is old it may be worth getting a cluth kit from Suzuki and replacing what you have. If that's not the problem you can just keep the one you took out for next time.The kit will have new friction plates as well as new steels. Also, make sure that after the input shaft nut is fully torqued down the basket still moves independantly from the hub. My old GS played hell with me until I figured out the two pieces were actaully torqued together (wrong) spacer was behind the hub.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:39:30 AM by turbojonn »
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Online busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 03:43:02 PM »
does it still have the stock two piece torque limiter slipper clutch and stock clutch spring? if so that's not uncommon when you try to launch the bike hard.

Offline ABIGMEANIE

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »
does it still have the stock two piece torque limiter slipper clutch and stock clutch spring? if so that's not uncommon when you try to launch the bike hard.

Yes, but.. that was the first thing i fixed to try and resolve the problem. I did the mod ring and added the ape support on the other side and some stiff springs.

Im not even launching hard, i cant even launch normal speed as cars do, I have to launch it like a 90 yr old man walking with a cane or it jumps like crazy and wants to buck me off in 1st gear.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:39:47 PM by ABIGMEANIE »