Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: opinions please  (Read 27890 times)

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
opinions please
« on: November 20, 2016, 01:48:38 AM »
I've got a 05 Busa with a fairly new  stroker .I'm on my first oil change.  I made a pass at the track one night and the oil light came on in the shutdown area. I coasted to the return road , shut it off and let it sit about 5 min. Started it back up and the light is off but, now I hear a ticking from the head or, top of the motor. I fear the worst . Ideas anyone ?

Now , Knecum powered . Fire in tha hole !

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
Re: opinions please
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »
Yea, call Steve and ask him what you should do...
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »
If it is was mine; first thing would be change the oil and look for metal, then drop the oil pan.  Even if nothing is found, peace of mind.

Did anything unusual happen doing the run?  Oil level good?  Oil disappears from the site glass when you start it?
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 08:04:22 PM »
Yes, more info.... stock pan?  Oil weight?  was the bike really hot?  Plus RansomT's  questions.  You might consider having someone cut the filter apart and look there for any chunkage...
Call Steve and talk to him....
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 07:41:56 AM »
Yea , I'll call Steve .  The run was normal, yes plenty of oil (4 qts).

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:34:44 PM »
Sounds like you dropped a valve...
Getting "Blown" is a hell-of-a drug...STUNNAH...

Offline M.Long

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 07:59:05 AM »
good luck buddy..hope its not too bad

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 07:35:30 PM »

Yea, that's what I'm hoping.  Man, where you been playa ? You still on that boost?

Offline M.Long

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »
Been out for a minute man yesss still on that boost

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 12:53:53 AM »

Yea, that's what I'm hoping.  Man, where you been playa I' You still on that boost?

I'm still breathing, just popping in and out of the site...Still got that "Stungun" but she's a little sick right now...I had a series of illnesses that I've been dealing with, so hoping to close that chapter and get back in the saddle where real men belong...Most of my crew has sold out and moved on to other things but it hasn't killed my desire to Ride or Die...So hopefully by the spring I'll have her right and ready to travel...A brother is retired now so I can break camp anytime and do whatever, single as well...Are you still down in Huntsville???Did 7/11 ever get started back up???I haven't traveled in several years, was getting prepared, got me an enclosed trailer setup then got sick, so you know by now I'm looking for some trouble...Hope everything gets squared away with your bike, they will take us thru some things but it's all relative to our joy...

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 10:11:38 PM »

Yea, that's what I'm hoping.  Man, where you been playa I' You still on that boost?

I'm still breathing, just popping in and out of the site...Still got that "Stungun" but she's a little sick right now...I had a series of illnesses that I've been dealing with, so hoping to close that chapter and get back in the saddle where real men belong...Most of my crew has sold out and moved on to other things but it hasn't killed my desire to Ride or Die...So hopefully by the spring I'll have her right and ready to travel...A brother is retired now so I can break camp anytime and do whatever, single as well...Are you still down in Huntsville???Did 7/11 ever get started back up???I haven't traveled in several years, was getting prepared, got me an enclosed trailer setup then got sick, so you know by now I'm looking for some trouble...Hope everything gets squared away with your bike, they will take us thru some things but it's all relative to our joy...

Sorry to hear of you going through it bro. Yea, 7-11 is bigger than it's ever been. I heard they had over 3k people there last year . I missed it because of work but, not next year God's will.  :tu:
I talked to my builder yesterday and he told me to just drop the pan and pray for no brass. I swear , if this stroker is bad I'm just giving in and going to spray. These big motors have broke me man .  :?

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 12:22:54 AM »

Sorry to hear of you going through it bro. Yea, 7-11 is bigger than it's ever been. I heard they had over 3k people there last year . I missed it because of work but, not next year God's will.  :tu:
I talked to my builder yesterday and he told me to just drop the pan and pray for no brass. I swear , if this stroker is bad I'm just giving in and going to spray. These big motors have broke me man .  :?

It's been years ago the last time we came down...Got there Friday night and the damn streets were empty didn't see a bike anywhere , finally made contact with a few people and they told us the event had moved to another city, I can't remember the name of the city...Anyway we ended up making the trip to eat at Waffle House, that shit was hilarious, but that Petron keep the hope alive...Rolled out the next morning and finished the weekend in Memphis...I hope your motor is ok, but from what you posted it sounds just like mine did when it dropped a valve, a little tick, tick sound like and exhaust leak...And I feel your pain on these bikes, I know riders that have done some really weird shit to their bikes and they hold up...I think I got a Monday or Friday bike...Monday they put it together mad cause they had to come back to work, or Friday because they were in a hurry to get off work...Anyway I'll be peeping in...GL...

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 01:40:28 AM »

It's been years ago the last time we came down...Got there Friday night and the damn streets were empty didn't see a bike anywhere , finally made contact with a few people and they told us the event had moved to another city, I can't remember the name of the city...Anyway we ended up making the trip to eat at Waffle House, that shit was hilarious, but that Petron keep the hope alive...Rolled out the next morning and finished the weekend in Memphis...I hope your motor is ok, but from what you posted it sounds just like mine did when it dropped a valve, a little tick, tick sound like and exhaust leak...And I feel your pain on these bikes, I know riders that have done some really weird shit to their bikes and they hold up...I think I got a Monday or Friday bike...Monday they put it together mad cause they had to come back to work, or Friday because they were in a hurry to get off work...Anyway I'll be peeping in...GL...

Thanks ! GL to you too bro! :tu:

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 05:38:35 PM »
Dropped the pan today and it's the worst . Actual pieces of matierial stuck to the drain plug .  :?

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 11:18:24 PM »
Dropped the pan today and it's the worst . Actual pieces of matierial stuck to the drain plug .  :?
I hate that for you...Makes you just want to go back to a stock motor and go for appearance vs performance...

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 07:30:12 AM »

Is it bearing material or clutch material? Do you have oiling mods to your cases? If you have a flat pan you should be running 4.5 quarts of oil.

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 07:55:42 AM »

Is it bearing material or clutch material? Do you have oiling mods to your cases? If you have a flat pan you should be running 4.5 quarts of oil.

It's bearing material. No oil mods.im running 4 qts .

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 02:40:01 PM »
Don't call the coroner just yet, was this (tick) noise just a tick or could you feel something that felt like someone taping on the motor with a small hammer? its possible you may have just a cam/bucket issue, this is a possibility with any motor with stronger than stock valve springs, once one starts galling, where the bucket follow the cam lobes its not long before you got a ticking noise and metal in the oil, you can check this by taking the cam cover off, and looking, kind of a pain in the ass but not a big deal, if this is what you find you will need a new cam and whatever bucket/s are affected, I'm only suggesting this because typical bearing material, brass/copper/lead won't stick to a magnet, but any material that would grind off a cam or bucket will, ..... ck it and post back
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 03:00:51 PM »
Don't call the coroner just yet, was this (tick) noise just a tick or could you feel something that felt like someone taping on the motor with a small hammer? its possible you may have just a cam/bucket issue, this is a possibility with any motor with stronger than stock valve springs, once one starts galling, where the bucket follow the cam lobes its not long before you got a ticking noise and metal in the oil, you can check this by taking the cam cover off, and looking, kind of a pain in the ass but not a big deal, if this is what you find you will need a new cam and whatever bucket/s are affected, I'm only suggesting this because typical bearing material, brass/copper/lead won't stick to a magnet, but any material that would grind off a cam or bucket will, ..... ck it and post back

Interesting , I shall investigate ! :shock:

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »

I kind of hesitated to suggest this as Steve's rep is one of the best with engines, and I'm sure he took every precaution to prevent a problem, but shit does happen especially when you race, I don't know if that running dry on oil for a bit caused it, but it could have contributed, when I was running my dragster at the end of a run I would pull the chute and cut the ign and fuel shut off all basically at the same time so for most of the shut down the motor was not running, but I still had a issue on the burnouts when you stopped,  the oil press would come and go for a few seconds, I fixed this with a oil accumulator setup, it was three qts oil, under pressure that would apply when the normal system would hesitate,   
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »

I kind of hesitated to suggest this as Steve's rep is one of the best with engines, and I'm sure he took every precaution to prevent a problem, but shit does happen especially when you race, I don't know if that running dry on oil for a bit caused it, but it could have contributed, when I was running my dragster at the end of a run I would pull the chute and cut the ign and fuel shut off all basically at the same time so for most of the shut down the motor was not running, but I still had a issue on the burnouts when you stopped,  the oil press would come and go for a few seconds, I fixed this with a oil accumulator setup, it was three qts oil, under pressure that would apply when the normal system would hesitate,

No , it's not on Steve . It's on me for using used parts. He warned me about the risk of using a weld up crank. My funds weren't where I could get a billet.

Offline surprenant

• Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2016, 07:07:23 PM »
I used a weld up....once 10 years ago...never......never had any problems with billet...TTS or MARINE..my weld up..lasted 2 passes on motor...before i shut it off.....my billet 2 season with nitrous on top...no problem...

Offline surprenant

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 07:08:32 PM »
And i never buy used rods or used cranks unless it is a stocker and i have to be sure where it comes from and from what motor or i buy new..

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 08:37:46 PM »

No , it's not on Steve . It's on me for using used parts. He warned me about the risk of using a weld up crank. My funds weren't where I could get a billet.
Your still expecting the doom, when you pulled the pan and found the crap stuck to the magnet was there also and very fine silver or copper colored material in the pan? get the motor out and apart, and you will know what you got, from what you have been saying I just don't think its a crank issue, its possible but just don't sound like it........ and on weld up vs billet of course a billet's better, but if done correctly a welded crank will give very good service, we had one in a blown 496 big block on 65% nitro had 22 passes on it and broke a rod, crank was beat all to hell but the rod failure was not because of the welded crank, it was we were pushing parts well beyond there limits

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »
The material that was stuck to the drain plug.