Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: frt calipers sticking  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
frt calipers sticking
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:48:42 PM »
I see this on older cars a lot, but I was wondering how many of you guys have had trouble with the frt calipers not releasing, I know this would mostly apply to older bikes with miles,  since getting back out this year bike felt a little strange in traffic, got home and checked,  I guess its time to do the front calipers........bikes 12 years old so its not really unexpected, just wondering how often this happens :?
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Gary Evans

• Rider
    • AzBikeTech
Re: frt calipers sticking
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »
It happens all the time. Grim on the pistons and old seals that have lost their elasticity and ability to retract the pistons.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »
Thanks Gary, that's what I kind of thought, I got the calipers torn down and cleaned up, and they were not that dirty, what it looks like is all the pad replacements over the years and being there is no real (dust boot) the pistons come out when the pads ware, and get dirty, then pushed back in with the dirt, then the sticking starts
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Gary Evans

• Rider
    • AzBikeTech
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:45:41 AM »
Yes and it can also be due to the square o-ring losing elasticity from age. The square o-ring is the only thing that retracts the pads because it distorts to allow the pads to move in and then pulls them back when you release pressure.

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:29:22 PM »
Also return hole in master cylinder may be clogged --not allowing fluid to return. Clean master cylinder, and make sure you see fluid reeturn when you squeeze lever. Can use a big syringe and force fluid from caliper back up to master cyl.
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club