Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Need a replacement cdi unit.  (Read 3067 times)

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
Need a replacement cdi unit.
« on: April 16, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »
Ok, this is not for a Hayabusa, but I know there are people here who know where to get what is required.
Its for a mate in Ireland with a Kawasaki Zephyr 1100A air cooled bike, cv carbs airbox, 8 plugs etc.
His CDI unit is cooked, he bought the bike as a box of bits. But they are gaining in value because they are the very last of the air cooled big Zeds.
The cdi ignitor unit is obsolete so he can't buy one from Kawasaki and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg either.

So can someone please tell me which brand and where he can get an aftermarket cdi ignitor box for that bike ?

He's pulling out what hair he has left so we've got to help him  :lol:
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Need a replacement cdi unit.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
Ok, this is not for a Hayabusa, but I know there are people here who know where to get what is required.
Its for a mate in Ireland with a Kawasaki Zephyr 1100A air cooled bike, cv carbs airbox, 8 plugs etc.
His CDI unit is cooked, he bought the bike as a box of bits. But they are gaining in value because they are the very last of the air cooled big Zeds.
The cdi ignitor unit is obsolete so he can't buy one from Kawasaki and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg either.

So can someone please tell me which brand and where he can get an aftermarket cdi ignitor box for that bike ?

He's pulling out what hair he has left so we've got to help him  :lol:
Hos, I found one on Ebay  50 bucks, aftermarket stuff go's anywhere from 3 to 5 hundred, just google Kawasaki 1100A CDI box they are out there but dam there high dollar
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:05:06 AM »
Yeah I've been looking and there is only 1 product for $350 or there abouts.
I was hoping dynatek might do one but no luck.
It's an issue and there's a big gap in the market.

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:08:27 AM »
Kawasali tweaked the cdi unit each year for this model and there are three emissions specs for the US/EU/ Rest of the world.

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:32:28 AM »
These guys in the UK do a good range of cdi units for older bikes, just not for the ZR1100 Zephyr  :smashfreak:
I've emailed them to ask if they will.

http://www.motoelectrical.co.uk/

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 10:10:10 AM »
I'm pleased to say I've had a fast response from MotoElectrical and Ive sent them some more info today.
I hope they will take this up because there is an obvious gap in the market.
These bikes had a 5 year production run in the UK, US and EU, but they carried on until 1997 in Japan.

The Zephyr1100 is going up in value due to it being the last of the big air cooled Kawasaki's and it still carries the classic lines.
I think the rumor of a brand new ZR1100-RS was just that...... a rumor.  :wink: