Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Fresh 5k $ rebuild= 1000ft and BOOM  (Read 13687 times)

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
Fresh 5k $ rebuild= 1000ft and BOOM
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:51:41 PM »
Professionally done. Zero compression in #2. New rings, new rods, fresh head etc! About 3 minutes run time. Happened at 2k rpm at first time at 1/4 throttle. They are saying "we"ll tear it down, but you did supply the parts...".
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:16:28 AM by turbojonn »
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
Re: Fresh 5k $ rebuild= 1000ft and BOOM
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
F-CK!!!!!!! :smashfreak:
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline BLU88

• Post Master
  • "Ride it hard or dont ride it"
    • ccpowersports
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
I WOULD BE PISSED... I JUST HAD MY MOTOR BUILT AND KNOW HOW I WOULD FEEL
2013  black "throat punch racing"
2008  gray and black. (Sold)
2002 black n blue.(sold)

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:08 PM »
John, guessing no external holes, so if 2 is not going up and down it pitched a rod... could be an oiling issue, tight rod bearings... new motor failure always sucks.... let us know what gave up
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 12:06:56 AM »
It makes no noise (metal to metal) and still runs...just on 3 cylinders. We'll know soon, but Im guessing (Ok hoping) its not a rod. They were brand new Carillos installed by APE and we spun the oil prior to start up.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:08:57 AM »
Damn, that does make sense though.

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »
I tossed one on a 10K 30 second pull, my only guess was I must have pumped all the oil up and let some foamed oil into the system... Don't really know, but I put a 3 inch pan on it with almost 6 quarts of oil and it survived the dyno and performed well at Bonneville. 
There was one clunk sound and the motor ran ragged... but idled on 3, one piston was at the top, all the time.
Hope you can find a definitive cause.
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
I noticed that many people do not true valves. What this means is that they will take new valves and use them without grinding them first.
 This is wrong. They are called "blanks" for two reasons.
 One is they are rarely ever true or straight, and the other the face angles are usually close but not correct!

I do this every day, even out of box heads don't come with true'd valves and with high pressure stronger springs, they do not seat flat and are prone to breaking off the head of the valve.

This is why the Corvettes have been having valve failure. Gm blames the guide, that's not the case as I do those valves and they are rarely straight! I've seen nothing  but crooked valves on anything Gm makes. They good news is they really run good after a valve job!
 But getting back to the rebuild, I'd be willing to bet they didn't true the valves and just put in fresh valves and one or more broke the heads off! When they are operating at high speeds they need to be perfect!
Follow the crowd and go no where.

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
One of the most aggravating parts of this is that the motor ran perfectly when pulled. It just had a very tiny gasket failure that pressurized the coolant system, barely. In any event it will be on a pallet on the way to Steve Knecum in a couple of days. If I chase this problem down with the local shop and try to make things right out here I will still end up with a questionable motor, in a 230 mph bike.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »
John, I won't try to piss you off with my do your work sermon,  because I have some very good friends who don't do there own stuff, its just not there thing, if you want pull #2 plug, and pull the connectors off the others, spin it over and see if #2 is moving, if so it would be a ring/piston issue, not say it can't be a rod but being you said there was no noise its possible, I have been where you are with my race car so many times I can't count, but I stayed with it, spent a fortune several times over, but I would not trade those years for nothin :thumb:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 09:43:17 PM »
Thanks Rocketgeezer. The piston does move up and down. They were going to scope it today. The shop is as curious as I am at this point. I'm sure they can't feel good about this. Ive known some of these guys from the mc World for years.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:58:30 PM by turbojonn »

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 01:41:37 AM »
Damn...I hate this for you, been in the same situation, just makes you sick at the stomach...My 2nd bike is surely staying stock...Seems to me at some point the shops should take the hit and make things right!!!
Getting "Blown" is a hell-of-a drug...STUNNAH...

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 12:34:22 AM »
 Stock certainly has it's plusses. Maybe its a broken ring? Of course, that means a jacked cylinder. Knecum will make it bad ass once it gets to him.

The shop manager at the Dealership told me they always use new parts on rebuilds (not used like mine). This was not mentioned even once before the failure. I asked him how they can rebuild anyting if all they do is replace EVERYTING with new parts, like new cylinder, head, crank, cases, pistons, transmissions, etc?! He pointed to a dirt bike and said a motor in a race bike gets rebuilt every 6 to 10 hours. At that point I was done engaging in any further conversation, as I'm not really a proponent of replacing my motor on a weekly basis with a brand new factory replacement that I would THEN put new performance parts in. I did remind him that EVERY part was either new or freshly serviced/machind and inspected by his tech.

I'm still waiting to see what caused the failure. If they are fair, I'll be reasonable, if they are to blame and jack me around at all they will not like the bad pr they wont be able to avoid. My bike is well known in this area and and like most places, the bike clubs communicate. I doubt they want to be known as the 1000 foot rebuild shop. I won't need to say one word to anybody about it.               

This sort of story spreads by itself, good or bad.
I'm ranting now. We're still at the "discovery" stage. With Kneecum rebuilding Everett Powersports rebuild we'll get to find out exactly how they did.
 On another related topic: a big name machining company installed my rods for this build. We'll get to verify that those are good too.

Please know that if this had lasted even for 20 or 30 rides I would have a lot more room for patience and understanding. 1000 feet and maybe 20hp worth of load and it was done. Then I get the "new parts" speech. Maybe they'll suprise me and do more than I'm expecting...we'll see.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:59:41 AM by turbojonn »

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 11:32:17 AM »
Stock certainly has it's plusses. Maybe its a broken ring? Of course, that means a jacked cylinder. Knecum will make it bad ass once it gets to him.

The shop manager at the Dealership told me they always use new parts on rebuilds (not used like mine). This was not mentioned even once before the failure. I asked him how they can rebuild anyting if all they do is replace EVERYTING with new parts, like new cylinder, head, crank, cases, pistons, transmissions, etc?! He pointed to a dirt bike and said a motor in a race bike gets rebuilt every 6 to 10 hours. At that point I was done engaging in any further conversation, as I'm not really a proponent of replacing my motor on a weekly basis with a brand new factory replacement that I would THEN put new performance parts in. I did remind him that EVERY part was either new or freshly serviced/machind and inspected by his tech.

I'm still waiting to see what caused the failure. If they are fair, I'll be reasonable, if they are to blame and jack me around at all they will not like the bad pr they wont be able to avoid. My bike is well known in this area and and like most places, the bike clubs communicate. I doubt they want to be known as the 1000 foot rebuild shop. I won't need to say one word to anybody about it.               

This sort of story spreads by itself, good or bad.
I'm ranting now. We're still at the "discovery" stage. With Kneecum rebuilding Everett Powersports rebuild we'll get to find out exactly how they did.
 On another related topic: a big name machining company installed my rods for this build. We'll get to verify that those are good too.

Please know that if this had lasted even for 20 or 30 rides I would have a lot more room for patience and understanding. 1000 feet and maybe 20hp worth of load and it was done. Then I get the "new parts" speech. Maybe they'll suprise me and do more than I'm expecting...we'll see.
John, you said 0 compression, was its 0 or did it have 15-20lbs + or- ? cause you see that the piston is going up and down, it would have to be a ring, piston, cly, issue ths scope ch should tell if it does not tell them to air charge the cly with the piston up on the comp stroke, and see if any air come out the intake, exhaust, or crank breather, I don't remember you saying but was this shop also responsible for the install and dyno tune, ??   also you said something about 20HP of load do you mean nitrous ? if so is it a wet or dry setup ? because even if it was just 20hp of spray, if #2 leaned out for whatever reason it would turn the piston and rings to toast, especially if the rings were not set up correctly with the clearance necessary to run nitrous,....or they could tear it down and fix it like they should
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
John, I just did some checking on Everett, with the BBT, and just king of poked around to see if there were any consumer complaints, could not find nothing, they have a BBT A+ but no reports, so ether there good or nobody bitches, but I'm inclined to think nobody bitches, my experience has found the only time you get anything good out of a dealership is if you know one of the guys in the  back he takes care of you, without the front knowing about it, now don't think for a minute that I'm defending those people, but there really is no shop that would guaranty a race motor, but from a business standpoint, the least they could do is offer to fix it for cost of parts, what the bitch is they don't seem to care, they got your money, so what if you bitch to everybody and there brother, Everett don't care, especially if there busy, all that being said, if it were me in your situation I would bring it to Knecum to,  good luck, and please get back with what you find,

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply and effort Rocketgeezer. They were blowing air into the cylinder but I could not see the gauge. They said the needle would rise but not hold. They scoped it and saw nothing inside. My guess is broken rings like you said or maybe a head gasket. Probably not a head gasket though. The piston looked good and was moving.
 There are other issues I noticed along the way with this particular place and this process. In any event, it's on its way to Knecum Tuesday.
 The 20 horsepower part I was referring to is the maximum horsepower I estimate it made before it fell apart. It's running the same map it ran when taken apart, which is a map that worked great for 25000 miles for 18lbs on pump and 20 something on race, but I never ran race fuel or went over 18lbs.
 I'm going to have the injectors checked and cleaned too. Three plugs were souty and one (#2) was too clean. Makes me wonder if a lean melt down or lean inbuced head gasket failure can occur at 2k rpm and no boost? My guess is that it was fine until the failure kno running issue oresented) then it failed, the the 3 good cylinders got too much fuel.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
If the piston is moving and there I nothing viewable on the scope, it might just have thrown a valve shim.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »
The leakdown was 4% across all (according to the shop)? Could this still be the case? If so, how does a valve shim get thrown (I don't know)?

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
The leakdown was 4% across all (according to the shop)? Could this still be the case? If so, how does a valve shim get thrown (I don't know)?
They put air in the cly it leaked, but they could not tell where, BS on that for one, also no way its going to have 4% across and one cly that cannot hold air, and I don't buy can't see nothing on the scope or they did and not known what there looking at, and as John said it could be a throw shim which could be caused by a jackass setting up the head and getting clearance wrong, or possibly severe valve float, from weak springs or a combination of the weak springs and the jackass, and I understand what you meant by the 20HP, but 20HP on a turbo bike running 18 psi boost ain't nothing, should not have effected jack, you said nothing on your original tune up was changed, the rebuild basically was freshen up what you had??? compression, cams, injectors, or anything in fuel system or ign system was not changed, and bike ran fine until it got revved up good when you made the pass???, if the scope check really was OK the thrown shim could be a possibility, that the shim or a part of it has a valve slightly jammed and holding it open a bit, you may or may not see this on a scope check but you would sure as hell see it when blowing air in the cly, it would ether leak out the throttle body (intake), or exhaust, tell Steve you need to know what exactly caused this cause you got a forum full of guys that need to know, also if you need them I have a spare head and a cherry stock bore cly,
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 06:29:28 PM by Rocketgeezer »

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »
You guys are such a blessing to thus forum. I am so grateful for your interest and help.
It's people like you and like Steve Knecum, Richard Peppler, and a number of others that make me owning and riding a bike like this possible out here in WA.

One positive bit about this; now I'll have a motor by Knecum! One of the toughest parts of this build, besides throwning the money away, was NOT having every part and process evaluated by someone who has "been there and done that" a thousand times. I may vey well get a call from Steve saying "we need xyz", or "we don't need to do that" and I'll be able to know that it's flat out 100% true. I have a suspicion he WON'T tell me I need to replace everything with all brand new parts. I still can't believe the shop manager considers that a normal practice (or a believable excuse). I'm 52 and posses what I like to think us at least a standard I.Q. This manager presented his position like I was wearing a hockey helmet and a drool bib. Damn, now I'm ranting again. This may happen for a few weeks more, lol.
Thank you again so much for mentioning the parts (head and cylinder). I may need to hit you up on those depending on Knecums investigative results in the tear down? It is so hard to find trusted source for parts. A new OEM cylinder is 1200!
Oh, in answer to the scope of rebuild: Yep, just a stock rebuild. I did change or add a couple of things while it was apart:

-had the crank lightened and balanced and inspected at APE
-switched to Carrillos
-switched to ARP head studs, 10mm (not the 1/2"/12mm)
-undercut 2nd and new tranny bearings
-valve job and a swt of APE springs, both with APE
-reused the same ss Ferrara valves
-put in APE case studs, main studs and output shaft stud
-installed a cystom head gasket, multilayer from John Noonan
-had the head milled at APE
-had the cylinder bores checked and honed and the top checked for flatness at APE
-switched to an APE manual cam chain tensioner.

The rest was just bearings and seals.

I'm betting we'll know what went wrong in a few weeks. Sad part is, it may be just one little thing, but I have no faith in the motor currently. Cool part, in a month or two it will be a beast!

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »
John, I think Wossner is making new Hayabusa cylinders for less than $1200.00. Noonan would be the hook up on that.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 10:05:38 AM »
You guys are such a blessing to thus forum. I am so grateful for your interest and help.
It's people like you and like Steve Knecum, Richard Peppler, and a number of others that make me owning and riding a bike like this possible out here in WA.

One positive bit about this; now I'll have a motor by Knecum! One of the toughest parts of this build, besides throwning the money away, was NOT having every part and process evaluated by someone who has "been there and done that" a thousand times. I may vey well get a call from Steve saying "we need xyz", or "we don't need to do that" and I'll be able to know that it's flat out 100% true. I have a suspicion he WON'T tell me I need to replace everything with all brand new parts. I still can't believe the shop manager considers that a normal practice (or a believable excuse). I'm 52 and posses what I like to think us at least a standard I.Q. This manager presented his position like I was wearing a hockey helmet and a drool bib. Damn, now I'm ranting again. This may happen for a few weeks more, lol.
Thank you again so much for mentioning the parts (head and cylinder). I may need to hit you up on those depending on Knecums investigative results in the tear down? It is so hard to find trusted source for parts. A new OEM cylinder is 1200!
Oh, in answer to the scope of rebuild: Yep, just a stock rebuild. I did change or add a couple of things while it was apart:

-had the crank lightened and balanced and inspected at APE
-switched to Carrillos
-switched to ARP head studs, 10mm (not the 1/2"/12mm)
-undercut 2nd and new tranny bearings
-valve job and a swt of APE springs, both with APE
-reused the same ss Ferrara valves
-put in APE case studs, main studs and output shaft stud
-installed a cystom head gasket, multilayer from John Noonan
-had the head milled at APE
-had the cylinder bores checked and honed and the top checked for flatness at APE
-switched to an APE manual cam chain tensioner.

The rest was just bearings and seals.

I'm betting we'll know what went wrong in a few weeks. Sad part is, it may be just one little thing, but I have no faith in the motor currently. Cool part, in a month or two it will be a beast!
Thanks John, I just try to help guys as I have been there, done that.... to often..... those are all good parts used but nothing there that would change a tune up, provided they were assembled correctly, you also may want to have Steve check that they did what they claimed,  mainly to be sure it was done and you were not just charged for it, especially the stuff you cant see, internal motor parts, trans mods, because how would you know unless you tore it down and new what your looking at, like the undercut tranny gears unless you had it in your hand and new what to look at it would not look much different than a stock gear, same thing with bearings good used will work just the same as brand new, I'm sorry that I may come off like a pessimistic SOB about people, but after have it done to me like you have I don't trust nobody working on my shit, cars, bikes, lawn mower, guns, yes I do my own gunsmith work, (as I don't trust those tricky pricks ether $150, + parts to do a job that takes me maybe 15 mins and $10,) a problem I have right now is I have to find a new shop to work with for machine work and dyno time, the dude I was using retired, sold his stuff, can't blame him he was in his 70s, used to race sort of semi pro back before dirt was invented,... a bud at work has a GSXR 1K, local shop (dealer) wanted $250 for fork seal job, told him I'd do it for $100 if he helped, I ordered the stuff seals, oil, all of it was like $40? I had some homemade tools work great, had him done about 3 hrs total, (he watched more than helped)LOL, he wants me to put nitrous on it I said No way in hell, he asks why, I said cause when you burn it up I don't want to fix it, and then you be pissed at me, he says why should it burn up, I said leave it alone and ride it, if you want mods like that done find somebody you don't know and see every day, or do it yourself............don't mean to go on like this but I'm sitting here, its raining mamas busy and there's nothing else to do, LOL....if you do end up needing that stuff and Knecum don't have spare's..... like I said the cly is cherry, the head needs a seat fixed, a simple valve job may fix it, I just have not looked at it in a couple years

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
It's a mercifully rainy day here too. Makes it easier to be bikeless.
I had looked into shipping the entire bike to RCC. I got a $1200 quote...one way!
The bike was fully dialed in when torn down, so I feel good about that portion of the project. Every part the dealership put in was one I saw, except the bearings. I feel they meant well, and did their best, but something did go very wrong for sure. Knecums skills are the best there are, so I fell fantastic about having his name on the build.
 Also, another guy on a different board was/is bashing the heck out of APE for allegedly not getting rod tolerances correct. In tearing down my fresh build we'll be able to see how APE did on the rod bearings (they installed the rods). I truly like the APE guys, so my hope is I can help support their good name by proving mine were/are spot on.
 I'm curius to see what Knecum recommends for needed parts for a proper build. I did not use big head studs or oversized intake valves. I wanted a 500 hp build, nothing more. In any event, I'm actually happy my motor has a spot in Knecum's calendar. :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:09:35 AM by turbojonn »

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »
Perhaps I am missing something here, but I am fairly confident this has nothing to do with the bottom end / bearings. Bottom ends just hold things together, and ALWAYS make noise and / or fill the oil with shit when there is a major issue. The only thing power relatedwrt bottom end is the extra power consumed by a bearing as it is tightening up around the crank journal, usually identified by a bike that I very difficult to turn over or won't stay running at idle.

The problem could be a head gasket or some other top end issue. Perhaps valves that are bent from hitting pistons due to improper cam timing or moving sprockets, spit shim, head gasket, cracked head piss in coolant into the cyl, etc.

From your description, it may have nothing at all to do with the engine and could be a bad coil or even sparkplug/injector causing it to only run on 3 cyl.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning