Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: ZX10 build  (Read 25877 times)

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
Re: ZX10 build
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »
I took the bike to the Clayton 1/2 mile event yesterday. Nice venue, and about 100 Corvettes, Hellcats, ZL1s, Vipers, a few exotics and race cars. I saw a 3L streamliner makes its very first shakedown pass after 9 years in the making, a beautiful sight.

After running my bike smoothly on the 1/4 mile a few weeks ago (and waiting 3 hours in line) I let it rip on my first pass. All smooth through the quarter, then the track got a bit rough and I rapidly went into a major lock-to-lock tankslapper. I saw God, let loose on the bars as much as I could and sat up. It settled and I rode back to the trailer feeling like the luckiest guy on the planet.

So, I'm going to go over the chassis and make sure nothing is wrong, then raise the front and lower the rear to see if I can make it more stable.

Until next year,
Dean

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
Do you think raising the front would help ?

I had a wobble at 234mph few weeks ago and think it was because front was only slightly touching the ground,

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 03:05:09 PM »
Good save Dean, you have already ticked that bucket list item , no need to do it again

Also double check your headstem bearings , tire pressure, wheel alignment and that the frame and swingarm are perfectly straight 
Official Site Donor

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
Also check your swingarm bushes, don't forget to slacken off the chain as a fully adjusted chain can mask any play that might be there,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle 200mph at Bonneville,,

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 11:09:23 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions folks. The bike is only making ~170hp, so the front end is well planted after first gear.

I'll check the head bearing torque and then swap out the Trac Dynamics lowered fork with a stock set I have, then drop the rear end. This will give me a bit more rake and trail. I'll also look at the wheel bearings, swingarm bearing, and general straightness of everything.

I also could have hit a bump just as I was shifting into 6th, and maybe this wouldn't have happened again on the next pass. This bike is being built for lake racing, so I don't need hard acceleration anyway.

Dean

Offline Warp12

• Rider
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »
Hey, Dean! Great to see you back!

I was wondering, what is the damper setup? I've had a few 1k's, and an '06 10R, and I always thought they were jittery.

I had a few spirited head shakes at Maxton, over those bumps, for sure....even on big bikes. I think that's when I just decided to always crank the damper up to near max, lol. I'm not sure if you are using a front strap, but I also found that less suspension compliance is never good. And, of course, it is usually something simple causing the issue, right? I never like to make too many changes at once.

Anyway, I am nobody to really give you advice; most of all, nice to see you running again. Be safe, and best of luck with your new projects!

Shane

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 11:56:37 AM »
Hello Shane, long time. The damper is a OEM Busa unit, but I think it had it's oil changed at some point. No front strap. I'll do my best to figure it out, I definitely do not want to go through that again. Give my best to Racheal, Dean

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
Hey folks, a few updates. I decided to switch to a wet nitrous system. The mechanical fuel bump was too slow and had too many parts, so I'm going old school. After going back and forth with the folks at NX, we came up with pills for E85 and 43psi fuel pressure. This way I can tune the motor with the PC, then spray on top with nozzles and not have to worry about the mixture (I hope). Plumbing it was a huge PITA, but after a few different attempts, I found room for the solenoids and hard lines on the top side of the throttle bodies. Fun stuff.

My plan is to run El Mirage in May in the gas class, running U4.4. If that goes well, I'll put all the nitrous stuff on and spray it in June or a later meet.

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 09:36:05 AM »
Side pic.

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »
Looks very clean :) you have nothing but the rider hanging out in the breeze

did you find a reason for the headshake ?
Official Site Donor

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 08:11:13 AM »
Looks very clean :) you have nothing but the rider hanging out in the breeze

did you find a reason for the headshake ?

I didn't find anything that was wrong, no. I raised the front, lowered the rear, retorqued the steering head, and went over everything else I could think of. I'll take it to the drag strip again and see how it feels, but I can't truly test it wide open until El Mirage.

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
Long time no update. Only took 5 years, but I finally made it out to El Mirage this past weekend. It was great to see everyone and be at a LSR event with a bike. The M class records are only a few years old at EM, so I was running on a 172 record in M-F 1000. Leslie Murray was there in M-G 1000, so I switched to fuel. I bumped it to 173 on an OK pass on Saturday, spent 4 hours dropping the engine to certify engine size, and was done for the day. The data showed it was pretty rich for the elevation, and after tweaking the map it ran 180.9 on Sunday morning, and I was happy with that. I hope to go back in May with the wet kit mounted and see if I can melt some pistons.

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 11:22:52 PM »
Congratulations Dean... good baseline with your dirt bike  :bike:
N20... I'd like to suggest that you test your system before you test it on the race course.  Get a good scale, spray your fuel into separate containers... I used baby food jars... weigh... do it again... make sure they all are the same.  I used 30 seconds because it was easy to calculate, just be consistent.  Then weigh your bottle and spray the N20 as well and weigh to calculate what was used.  If you are using gas... look for 5 to 5.5 lbs of N20 for every 1 lb of gas... 6 may be too lean.  How do you plan to pull timing?  1 lb of N20 per minute is about 10 HP... you should probably pull 1 degree for every 10 HP
Remember you will be on the button a lot longer than the drag racers... a little rich is your friend.
Be careful
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2020, 11:40:15 PM »
That's a badass record on dirt! Congrats Dean, on getting there and then doing it, it's a nice bump

Pics are great, detailed info is awesome.

Great input from the stainless among us as well  :bigear:

Take care and be safe
Closed course. Professional rider. Do not attempt.

Still privately owned and operated by Hayabusa owner enthusiasts. 2002, small  a/a kit, CF body

If it's in a truck or trailer, it's being stolen

Offline Nosgsx1300

• Mad Post Whore
  • RCC GT4088R WHOOOT
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2020, 03:25:02 AM »
I had to read that twice
you say it so nonchalantly
"spent four hours pulling the motor "
RCC GT4088R
2011 Loring 204.88mph "naked"
2015 Loring 220.01743 MPH Faired in fifth gear

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2020, 09:37:03 AM »
Thanks Stainless, I had copied this advice from LR.com years ago and plan to do this. My first attempt at this test led me to the wet kit. I'll be using alcohol, so I'll shoot for 1.3 X your weight ratio and see how it looks. I'm hoping the alcohol and timing retard will give me some cushion for 5th & 6th gear at EM. I will pull 4 degrees via ECU flash. 5Lb bottle at a target of 800psi. Will see what sort of power it makes on the dyno.

If you found flow differences across pills, did you just swap them out, or did you redrill? I'll be running 43psi fuel pressure, so little tiny holes.

Cheers,
Dean

Congratulations Dean... good baseline with your dirt bike  :bike:
N20... I'd like to suggest that you test your system before you test it on the race course.  Get a good scale, spray your fuel into separate containers... I used baby food jars... weigh... do it again... make sure they all are the same.  I used 30 seconds because it was easy to calculate, just be consistent.  Then weigh your bottle and spray the N20 as well and weigh to calculate what was used.  If you are using gas... look for 5 to 5.5 lbs of N20 for every 1 lb of gas... 6 may be too lean.  How do you plan to pull timing?  1 lb of N20 per minute is about 10 HP... you should probably pull 1 degree for every 10 HP
Remember you will be on the button a lot longer than the drag racers... a little rich is your friend.
Be careful

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2020, 09:37:42 AM »
That's a badass record on dirt! Congrats Dean, on getting there and then doing it, it's a nice bump

Pics are great, detailed info is awesome.

Great input from the stainless among us as well  :bigear:

Take care and be safe

Thanks  :tu:

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2020, 09:40:01 AM »
I had to read that twice

Yep, the ZX10 frame does not make it easy - no access to spark plug holes. Jim Higgins was there having his Busa checked and gave me some sh*t - "about 5 more minutes and I'll be all set, hahahahaha"   :mrgreen:

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »
Dean, years ago none of the manufacturers of N20 had their shit together.  I found pills with identical numbers were up to 20% difference in flow for 30 seconds... of course that was after the first engine meltdown.  Same for the N20 side. Their combinations were generally lean for long pulls, big power until they consumed aluminum.  I just mixed and matched, kept buying and returning until we had consistency... We were on carbs so the fuel was regulated to 3 to for carbs and 10 to the N20 system.  Our worst failure was when the small N20 solenoid froze open after a 45 second run at Bonneville... of course the gas shut off as advertised... moved to the largest one they had and tested it for 60 seconds... it worked... which was good since my longest successful button was 52 IIRC....
Are you using a sequence box or just turning it full on?  If on a pulse box, be sure it will run long enough, some have shutoff timers.  Of course if just running the 1.3 20 seconds of juice should be close to enough.
So yes I would test every jet, establish combinations that should work for different power levels and probably  start rich as possible. 
I'm thinking about running N20 again... maybe they next time they raise my social security  :crackup:
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2020, 08:48:27 AM »
Got it, I'll see how far off the pills are and go from there. No progressive control planned, just a little ballast :)

I'll cover your beer costs at EM (offer good up to 1 case per event, some restrictions apply  :mrgreen:)

Dean, years ago none of the manufacturers of N20 had their shit together.  I found pills with identical numbers were up to 20% difference in flow for 30 seconds... of course that was after the first engine meltdown.  Same for the N20 side. Their combinations were generally lean for long pulls, big power until they consumed aluminum.  I just mixed and matched, kept buying and returning until we had consistency... We were on carbs so the fuel was regulated to 3 to for carbs and 10 to the N20 system.  Our worst failure was when the small N20 solenoid froze open after a 45 second run at Bonneville... of course the gas shut off as advertised... moved to the largest one they had and tested it for 60 seconds... it worked... which was good since my longest successful button was 52 IIRC....
Are you using a sequence box or just turning it full on?  If on a pulse box, be sure it will run long enough, some have shutoff timers.  Of course if just running the 1.3 20 seconds of juice should be close to enough.
So yes I would test every jet, establish combinations that should work for different power levels and probably  start rich as possible. 
I'm thinking about running N20 again... maybe they next time they raise my social security  :crackup:

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
I had to read that twice

Yep, the ZX10 frame does not make it easy - no access to spark plug holes. Jim Higgins was there having his Busa checked and gave me some sh*t - "about 5 more minutes and I'll be all set, hahahahaha"   :mrgreen:

The ZX 10,12 and 14 can be a pain to work on,, On my 12 I have cleaned up the area above the head, below the plenium, and modified tools which make it much easier to acess the plugs and remove the head, etc
First Australian to ride a motorcycle 200mph at Bonneville,,

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2020, 07:39:33 PM »
it was great to see Dean , coming all the way from Georgia! And there is a reason we do Busas-- and the SRAD bikes as they have the same architecture as the Busa---or should I say it is the other way around as the SRAD came out in 1996. Busa looks like my 750 on steroids!
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2020, 08:26:55 PM »
Dean,  If you want any additional advice about the spray ... you can always just shot me an email.

ransom.t.holbrook@gmail.com
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2020, 03:14:11 PM »
Thanks Jim, and Ransom - I appreciate it. How is your bike these days?

Just because I like 5-year plans, I bought this off eBay recently, for the possible day I decide to stop filling bottles. An old stage 1 Velocity kit in good shape, GT2871R. A wicked bargain, there can't be many of these out there anymore.

Merry Xmas & HH to everyone, I'm looking forward to 2021.

Dean

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2020, 05:20:01 PM »
My nitrous LSR bike has just been setting and waiting for me to heal.  I replace a lot of the suspension and the rear swing arm to get it to drive straight under lots of spray in 2017.  Then in early 2018, I was ran over on the street by a teenager texting while driving. I was riding my track bike about 1 mile from my house.  21 broken bones and 3 shoulder surgeries later (newest was a total reverse replacement), I might be able to get back to the race track in 2021.
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350