Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Good article on tires  (Read 8377 times)

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
Good article on tires
« on: November 21, 2017, 08:12:58 PM »

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
Re: Good article on tires
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:58:13 PM »
Funny that Goodyear already makes a tire that is rated for 300-320 mph (Eagle Land Speed),but Michelin can't make one for those speeds?

I've run 2 different tires in the past several years, Michelin and Shinko (yes, the "hard" Stealth). Felt much more secure running the Michelin, but the Stealth was on the bike for the 250+ runs.  However, I did figure out that the Shinko needed to be changed out for each season because the crown wanted to wear really flat and caused handling issues.  Currently, I'm trying out the Michelin RS.

With that said, I started to realize that I needed to change my attitude about tires a how often I change them.  When I raced at the Shift S3ctor 1/2 mile, I got to know the crew behind the Lambo that went 259+.  They told me they had problems with tires and ask me about mine. They run the Michelin Pilot Cup and change them at least after ever event, sometimes after each day!
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
Saw some interestesting tire behavior at the Bolivian salt , besides the chunking from internal heat or contact after speed related growth , and shredding on the coarse salt, the treaded tires were cracking in the bottom of the tread grooves every pass ,270-289mph
Ransom i would not have thought to run Shinko much over 200mph

The 300mph tires have handling problems on bikes on the salt , i have not run them but know 2 that have ,

Its something that needs a lot of investigation  with several people aiming at 300+ in the next year or so on pavement and salt
Official Site Donor

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:08:13 PM »
 "or contact after speed related growth", how much were thay growing at those speeds ??
First Australian to ride a motorcycle 200mph at Bonneville,,

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »
Happy turkey day for us Americans :)

I think the issue with the production cars is finding a tire that can go 300 and still be "streetable" and legal.

I think 260-270 on asphalt seems to be OK with good ZR tires, even after multiple passes. Not sure about salt. But after that the data gets slim. The folks shooting for 300 will be the trailblazers. Greg do you know if Ralph Hudson and Al Lamb were changing tires in Bolivia?

Dean

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 01:24:36 PM »
Happy thanksgiving to across the pond

Tires are the major safety issue on any of the current attempts once beyond 250, they may have to forget streetable and legal and just do safer , most other parts of the vehicle are in the builders control if you dont like what is currently available you fabricate to suit , but not tires,

You would have seen Als tire problems in the videos, pretty sure he changes one if not 2 just about every pass, Ralph had less destruction, but they were showing signs of structual stress and we only got the last 2 runs in without a tire change
temperature up there probably did not help , salt is at or near 32f

Ronnie they were growing more than previously experianced by the riders , dont know just how much, not enough to change the calculated speed
Official Site Donor

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »

Tires are the major safety issue on any of the current attempts once beyond 250, they may have to forget streetable and legal and just do safer , most other parts of the vehicle are in the builders control if you dont like what is currently available you fabricate to suit , but not tires,

You would have seen Als tire problems in the videos, pretty sure he changes one if not 2 just about every pass, Ralph had less destruction, but they were showing signs of structual stress and we only got the last 2 runs in without a tire change

Ronnie they were growing more than previously experianced by the riders , dont know just how much, not enough to change the calculated speed

Agreed !

The on-board cameras on Al Lamb's 1000cc
Honda show the FRONT tire chunking at speed.

Offline KZScott

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »

Agreed !

The on-board cameras on Al Lamb's 1000cc
Honda show the FRONT tire chunking at speed.

it was rubbing the shit out of the rad/water tank.
01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 on dot tires, pump gas, NO power adders.... turbo 8.47 @ 164
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot... turbo 8.32 @ 173
00 ZX-12R  1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB Worlds Fastest NA Kawasaki
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1  1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
Fabricator/Engine builder @ RCC Turbos

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
Still curious if. The tire(s) or carbon wheel(s) are the cause of BW’s accident 296 even though he ha had no issues at 311. Maybe there’s been a discussion on here where it’s all been discussed?

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 03:37:18 PM »
Unfortunately,Tom, we have never heard an actual cause of Bill's or a lot of the other accidents by riders we know. And this information could be used by all of us to be safer. Not sure why this is??
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 09:02:22 PM »
Unfortunately,Tom, we have never heard an actual cause of Bill's or a lot of the other accidents by riders we know. And this information could be used by all of us to be safer. Not sure why this is??
i agree with you 100%. What’s bad is that people get on here and act like they know but won’t have an open discussion that could save someone else. They would rather drink wine and post stupid crap and self promote what they did a hundred years ago or paid for. Sad situation for the guys that are still racing in need to be safe.

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »
i agree with you 100%. What’s bad is that people get on here and act like they know but won’t have an open discussion that could save someone else. They would rather drink wine and post stupid crap and self promote what they did a hundred years ago or paid for. Sad situation for the guys that are still racing in need to be safe.

99% of the needed information is in two(2) places:

1)  Homicide report written by the police department
 that investigated the crash, and took photographs.

2)  In the data logging system of Bill's bike,
last known to be with Bill's parents.

Combine these two sources of information,
and you will have one of the best ever investigated
accidents of a sit-on bike crash in LSR.

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »

We have so many riders in the Texas and Houston
area that we should be able to investigate
those accidents at the Texas mile and report back.

If we can't take care of each other,
who else will do it ?

Offline Nosgsx1300

• Mad Post Whore
  • RCC GT4088R WHOOOT
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
Don't get me started......... the Whole DaveO thing still burns my ass
RCC GT4088R
2011 Loring 204.88mph "naked"
2015 Loring 220.01743 MPH Faired in fifth gear

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 08:11:49 AM »
Don't get me started......... the Whole DaveO thing still burns my ass

What is it that upsets you ?

Offline Nosgsx1300

• Mad Post Whore
  • RCC GT4088R WHOOOT
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »
So little info has been released about his accident
so many "rumors and theory's"
RCC GT4088R
2011 Loring 204.88mph "naked"
2015 Loring 220.01743 MPH Faired in fifth gear

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 09:30:49 AM »
So little info has been released about his accident
so many "rumors and theory's"

My memory is that quite a bit of information is in the public domain.

The general thinking is that Dave had a medical incident
around the finish line, and then drove off the track
into the woods, struck a tree and died.

I did a multi-page written report
 on the crash for the ECTA.

I was an eye witness to the crash,
and Dave was working for me at the time......

The ECTA paid for the report,
and the report belongs to them.

You could contact them for a copy..................

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 10:04:25 PM »

Re: Fatalities in LSR
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »
Bills accident IMO was caused by power wheelieing @ 280 and a cross wind that pushed him off to edge of the coarse. Unfortunately there was obstacle in his way that he couldn't avoid. Please make sure you are 100% comfortable on your bike. If you feel that something doesn't feel right no matter if its the fit of your leathers or Sun glare in your eyes to the slightest wind breeze that may make you feel not as one with the bike.  You control your bike don't let the bike control you. Know your comfort zone, there always another day!!  R.I.P. Bill!!
Offline TrickTom1

HOT ROD
    Site Donor
    Post Apocalyptic Whore
    In God We Trust

Re: Fatalities in LSR
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
Quote from: knecum on August 07, 2013, 10:05:20 PM

Bills accident IMO was caused by power wheelieing @ 280 and a cross wind that pushed him off to edge of the coarse. Unfortunately there was obstacle in his way that he couldn't avoid. Please make sure you are 100% comfortable on your bike. If you feel that something doesn't feel right no matter if its the fit of your leathers or Sun glare in your eyes to the slightest wind breeze that may make you feel not as one with the bike.  You control your bike don't let the bike control you. Know your comfort zone, there always another day!!  R.I.P. Bill!!

+10000000