Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Brake fluid synthetic or no?  (Read 5567 times)

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Brake fluid synthetic or no?
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
I’m rebuilding my front calipers should I use synthetic brake fluid or no?
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Brake fluid synthetic or no?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:56:30 PM »
I suppose it would be better to use synthetic over conventional but like synthetic motor oil, your bike would probably never see a difference,
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:26:08 PM »
Considering that Wal-Mart has synthetic for cheap, I wouldn't know why you wouldn't use it.
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:44:38 AM »
Considering that Wal-Mart has synthetic for cheap, I wouldn't know why you wouldn't use it.
the $ is no problem i get valvoline synthetic for nothing  the reason im asking is that i rebuilt my calipers twice before and used synthetic and each time i end up with a spongy lever, and the reason why its spongy is because when i release the lever the pistons retracted way too far so the next time u pull the lever the pistons have to travel all that extra distance to make up the slop making it spongy    i thought maybe the synthetic has something to do with it
when i release the lever u can see the pistons retracted at least a 1/8 of a inch anyone know why????????? im puzzle fucked
and no there is no air trapped in the system  i have a bleeder on the master cycl and i bleed this thing every way known to bleed a brake system i probably bleed 50 gals thru this thing
i also know that there is a tapper to where the seals sit in the caliper so its impossible to install the seals wrong
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:32:51 AM by TT »

it burn,s when i pee

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »

it burn,s when i pee

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »
Did you try zip tying your lever back over night?
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »
YEP like i said i tried eveything know to man kind  the problem is not air in the system the problem is the pistons are retracting too far when releasing the lever
ive read other forums that other guys have had the same problem but no one knows why

it burn,s when i pee

Offline Gary Evans

• Rider
    • AzBikeTech
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
My guess would be that the fluid changes the stiction of the seal to the piston. The seal is rectangular and its OD is held stationary in the caliper groove. The ID is free to move on the piston and when the brake is applied the seal will distort slightly and the distortion is the only thing that provides the correct amount of retraction. The factory materials and fluid choice used on the contact surfaces are balanced to provide that just right amount of seal stiction that in turn will create the correct amount of seal distortion for retraction. If the fluid used makes the seal harder to slip on the piston surface there will be more distortion created when the brake is applied and therefore more retraction when it is released.   

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:46:04 AM »
My guess would be that the fluid changes the stiction of the seal to the piston. The seal is rectangular and its OD is held stationary in the caliper groove. The ID is free to move on the piston and when the brake is applied the seal will distort slightly and the distortion is the only thing that provides the correct amount of retraction. The factory materials and fluid choice used on the contact surfaces are balanced to provide that just right amount of seal stiction that in turn will create the correct amount of seal distortion for retraction. If the fluid used makes the seal harder to slip on the piston surface there will be more distortion created when the brake is applied and therefore more retraction when it is released.
very good explanation makes alot of sense,  then maybe i should use suzuki brake fluid   

it burn,s when i pee

Offline Gary Evans

• Rider
    • AzBikeTech
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
Doesn't need to be Suzuki fluid just the grade recommended in the manual.

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
You didn't rebuild the master cylinder right?  When changing over, all parts of the system need rebuilding to void the system completely away from non synth fluid.
Ride em if ya got em

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »
You didn't rebuild the master cylinder right?  When changing over, all parts of the system need rebuilding to void the system completely away from non synth fluid.
the master was rebuilt 2 yrs ago i suppose i could disasseble it and clean it up

but the valvoline dot 3 & 4 is compatible  with non synthetic fluid so maybe trace amounts wont hurt any thing??
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/valvoline-dot-3-and-4-synthetic-brake-fluid-32-oz-601458/7080002-P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:37:54 PM by TT »

it burn,s when i pee

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master

it burn,s when i pee