Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Long time Harley rider thinking about purchasing a Hayabusa.  (Read 13392 times)

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Long time Harley rider thinking about purchasing a Hayabusa.
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
Here's a question i didn't think if. How expensive is the Insurance for the Hayabusa? My Harley is like $500 for the year.

Somewhere between $60 and $5500 a year depending on your company, coverage, bike choice, and your records.

Seriously though, the only way to know os call your company or others. Don't be surprised if you hear some say they won't I sure it or if the quote is literally over $3k for a new bike with full coverage from some companies.

Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline BLU88

• Post Master
  • "Ride it hard or dont ride it"
    • ccpowersports
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 08:57:08 AM »
i think the transition would be easy .. i have both now. i have a 2014 ultra limited, a hayabusa , a zx 14. when i was road riding my busa at the same time.. i have never had a problem switching between them.

i have had time where i road the harley all day .. then went back home and switched cause i was then gonna be riding with a bunch of sportbike guys vs. harley / cruiser guys.  then went and street raced the busa the same night.

so once you get used to the difference you will not have a problem... dont let the name and lore of the name hayabusa intimidate you at all. a bike is a bike they all have a clutch and a throttle and brakes...lol
2013  black "throat punch racing"
2008  gray and black. (Sold)
2002 black n blue.(sold)

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »
Sound advice to get some insurance quotes in now.
Over here using bike insurance comparison sites the quotes vary wildly and they want answers to so may questions regarding you and the bike.
The difference between two postcode areas which might be 1 mile apart can give a large price differential.
I don't know about stateside, but they don't like modifications and each insurance company has different rules on whether the mods should be declared, or aren't covered,
or require a loaded premium. Bike insurance is a ballache.
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Offline TheZman

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »
Yeah ill definitely have to call my insurance company for some quotes. Im guessing the Sport bikes are going to be much more then my Harley which is something ill have to consider since im not rich. I usually only ever have one bike at of time because thats all i can afford for now. And i know i wouldn't give up my Harley.

With that being said i went into a dealership today and sat on a bunch of different bikes. And i know it totally different sitting on them then actually riding them rolling down the road but it gave me a rough idea which was a good fit and felt good. I sat on a BMW 1000, a Kawasaki 1000 Ninja, Yahamaha R6, BMW cafe racer, the Hayabusa. There were others but those were the ones i got a chance to check out the most and spent the most time on.

Long story short for me the Hayabusa had the most awkward seating position out of all of them unfortunately. I honestly hope even more they give it a makeover for 2019. It actually kinda bummed me out because ive always wanted one. It felt super long in the front and the pegs where in the most awkward position. I knew if i got one it would be like that and i would have to get use to it and i was ok at first until i went and sat on the other bikes.

Odly the bikes like the BMW 1000, and Yamaha R6 felt lighter more balanced and more comfortable to me. Even though they have a more agressive riding set up. I just felt more stable on them and the lighter weight and shorter front end made me feel more confident on them. They felt less awkward to me believe it or not. Which totally surprised me.

Lastly was the Kawasaki Ninja 1000. Now this bike totally caught me off guard. Looking the style i looked like the other super bikes. Very aggressive and mean i almost didnt even sit on it. But when i did oh man was it comfortable. Hands down the best out of all of them. It actually blew my mind. My arms where almost is a straight position and my feet were just directly down. And it felt great. So after messing with it for some time and talking with the salesman i come to realize its set up that way for sport touring. I really liked it. Didnt really want a sport touring bike but i know tgats just my ego talking and honestly if i didnt sit on it i wouldn't have even known it was with its aggressive styling. I guess from researching it when i got home Kawasaki sells it as a mix a bike you can tour on or take to the track and race. Pretty interesting.

Kind of makes me wonder if you can just buy a more agressive bike like the zx10, R1, BMW 1000 and Hayabusa and set it up with more upright handle bars and move the pegs a little more forward with Aftermarket. Something im definitely going to look into for sure.

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 05:41:37 PM »
Don't be so shocked.  All those other bikes (are) lighter and (do) have shorter wheelbases.  Sitting on them in the showroom will of course give you the feeling of 'lighter, more balanced' and maybe even more comfortable, but stable, in a showroom at zero speed?  Stable is what the Busa is famous for (at speed).  You won't spend any time on a Busa at zero speed.  The longer wheelbase in part, accounts for this.  I've lowered my pegs but they never felt like they were in an awkward position, just a tad high and even that is more related to my bad knee.  Placing pegs forward will involve extending the brake and shifter.  Riding one is what you need to do.  You'll know if it speaks to you.
Ride em if ya got em

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 06:05:08 PM »
Thanks Sport and yeah you are spot on about the Busa stability, that is what makes it a world class leader.
The huge stability of the bike has made up for more than a few of my misdemeanors.
But ultra fast handling sports bikes do not have that stability. They are extremely focused bikes with little room for rider error.
The Busa did feel very long and low when I got my first, but its a feeling that passed quickly.
I've spoken to guys who've taken a Busa out on demo and rubbished them on return. But the reality is they probably didn't get it out of third gear.
Others speak the truth like a mate of mine who is a total race rep addict, he kills a set of knee sliders on a weekend ride out. He can get a pillions knees down.
He took a Busa out on demo more out of curiosity than wanting to buy one.
When he dropped the bike back at the dealer and came down to see us on his Prilla he was stunned at the deceptive way the Busa easily carried 60mph more than he realised.
That's Busa fast and there's a difference: Stability.

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2018, 06:09:44 PM »

For peg positions?  that's why Valte Moto, Gilles and Harris Engineering make superb billet adjustable rear sets.
Personalisation is what its all about.
There is no one size fits all motorcycle on the market.

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
There is another significant thing to know about the Hayabusa.
There are a fair few drag racers on here and I go and watch the drag racing fairly often and have done for many years.
The vast percentage of drag bikes are Busa based. There's a handful of very fast Kawasaki's and maybe one Honda although
Ive not seen that one race for a while (I know the rider).
The other regular drag bikes are GSXR1100 based.

There is a big statement there about the robustness of the Suzuki motor and drive train. They are legendary.
Suzuki has a long pedigree of making bullet proof engines and gearboxes.
Don't see any Yamaha drag race bikes.

Offline TheZman

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »
There is another significant thing to know about the Hayabusa.
There are a fair few drag racers on here and I go and watch the drag racing fairly often and have done for many years.
The vast percentage of drag bikes are Busa based. There's a handful of very fast Kawasaki's and maybe one Honda although
Ive not seen that one race for a while (I know the rider).
The other regular drag bikes are GSXR1100 based.

There is a big statement there about the robustness of the Suzuki motor and drive train. They are legendary.
Suzuki has a long pedigree of making bullet proof engines and gearboxes.
Don't see any Yamaha drag race bikes.
Thats a big part why ive always wanted. Hayabusa because im a big drag race fan. But ive only ever drag raced cars and not professional but just for fun. Ive always had a fantasy of getting into drag racing on a bike or at least getting that rush in a straight line out on the open road every once in a while. Which the Busa would be perfect for.

The only problem with that is the reality is quite a different story. I live deep in the mountains on very steep and sharp twisty roads. Even just to get to a flat straight road from my house is far out. I worry that the Busa with its long wheel base, heavy weight and akward long front end would be an issue where i live compared to a bike like a Zx10 or even R6 thats set up to handle the sharp twisty roads at my house. I feel like the  Busa is better set up for areas like Florida..

Im only thinking out loud to get feed back so dont think im on here trolling because im definitely not. Im just new to sport bikes and trying to make the best decision.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:50:22 PM by TheZman »

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2018, 08:11:13 PM »
From everything you've posted, you probably should just stick with what you have now and go ride.

There are no handling issues with a stock hayabusa on any road (aside from maybe extreme gravel or ice...)

If you want a small bike, a hayabusa isn't for you.

Definately don't buy a new bike. You've never rider one, admitting don't have lots of spare cash sitting around and are about as fickle as a hen house full of old women  :bananahump: :liebe084:

If you want a bike, get something from the 2003-2008 range, be it a liter bike or big bore. Even those are well in the "way too much power" years. A 1993 gsxr 100 earercooled bike was plenty powerful enough, then along came the zx11 and zx12 and hayabusa to follow with "insane" power, only to be quickly superceeded by liter bikes.

If you want a Hayabusa, get one. Buy a 2008 and and do a mild 320hp turbo build as well :-)
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.

Offline TheZman

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 10:32:47 PM »
From everything you've posted, you probably should just stick with what you have now and go ride.

There are no handling issues with a stock hayabusa on any road (aside from maybe extreme gravel or ice...)

If you want a small bike, a hayabusa isn't for you.

Definately don't buy a new bike. You've never rider one, admitting don't have lots of spare cash sitting around and are about as fickle as a hen house full of old women  :bananahump: :liebe084:

If you want a bike, get something from the 2003-2008 range, be it a liter bike or big bore. Even those are well in the "way too much power" years. A 1993 gsxr 100 earercooled bike was plenty powerful enough, then along came the zx11 and zx12 and hayabusa to follow with "insane" power, only to be quickly superceeded by liter bikes.

If you want a Hayabusa, get one. Buy a 2008 and and do a mild 320hp turbo build as well :-)
I never said there was handling issues with a Busa and i wasnt trying to come off that way. Im just simply playing Devils advocate out loud so i cant get feed back. And i have no doubt that a Hayabusa in an experienced Busa riders hands could rip through my roads with no problems. But my steep windy roads with horseshoe turns for 10 miles just to get to a flat road isnt the best place to start and get use to a bike like that especially if it doesn't fit like a glove. So thats mainly why im being picky. Hell if i lived somewhere with long flat stretches of road i wouldnt care. Give me whatever and I'd ride the sh$t out of it. But if i am goimg to spend more money i want to make sure its the right bike. Thats all.

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »
The Hayabusa is not a sports bike.
Its a very focused machine at doing one thing, going extremely fast and that it does exceedingly well.
Its in a class of its own.
No bike fits like a glove when you buy it. Most riders modify their bikes in some way to improve the relationship of seat, handlebars and footrests to their own personal preferences for comfort. If you think that sitting on a bike in a dealer will tell you that it is comfortable, see how it feels after 50 to 100 miles in the seat in town or on the highway.
Being 6 foot 2" tall meant I couldn't see the top half of the speedo on the Busa, so its common for taller riders to fit a "double bubble" aftermarket screen. Thats just one minor
example of how these bikes need to be modified in some way for your personal fit.

No one here is going to bust a gut to sell you a Busa, its an exclusive bike which isn't for the majority of bikers.
I call it "the thinking mans bike" becasue you have to think very hard when riding it. Its challenging and you need a large amount of mental focus to ride them.
I had a full power ZZR1100D Kawasaki the ex worlds fastest superbike but that did not prepare for the speed and power of the Busa. I needed to re-calibrate my brain
for the speed the bike would reach in the blink of an eye and how it would easily hold great speed and initially you don't realise it.
I left a 150 yard darkie on the road from the back brake trying to scrub off a large amount of speed as a came up to a traffic island when I first got mine.
So bear in mind that was coming from a ZZR1100D which is a 185 mph superbike. You are coming from a  Harley.
If you really want a sports bike and you think it will be comfortable, then go ahead and have fun.

But the fun is in trying out different bikes over the years, try them all and have a blast.
I even had a 1200 Buell which was an absolute riot !!!! Buelligan bike !! :lol:  :smashfreak: :uploaded_shooting:

Offline TheZman

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 07:11:19 AM »
Well i just found aftermarket handle bars for the Hayabusa online that can put your arms in a more comfortable position and i found adjustable foot pegs as well. So i think those items alone will make the bikes seating position more favorable to me similar to the set up on that Kawasaki 1000 i sat on yesterday.

Also i think the Tokyo motor show is coming up at the end of March 23rd to the 25 i believe. I have a feeling if they are going to refresh the Busa thats when we will find out and hopefully the new model will be on display and ill make my decision from there. Rumors are that the 2019 will be a mid 2018 summer early release which would be perfect.

Offline Frank06

• Site Donor
  • Rider
  • Timer and EV Tech - LTA
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2018, 07:23:01 AM »
The 'Busa can be an extremely fast bike if you use most of the rev range.  If you short-shift and use the torque it's a fantastic road bike.  Mine is set up for sport-touring at which it excels. 
206 mph on street legal electric ' Busa

Offline TheZman

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 07:26:31 AM »
The 'Busa can be an extremely fast bike if you use most of the rev range.  If you short-shift and use the torque it's a fantastic road bike.  Mine is set up for sport-touring at which it excels.
Did you change out the handle bars with your set up?

Offline Frank06

• Site Donor
  • Rider
  • Timer and EV Tech - LTA
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:53 AM »
Heli-bars, risers, double-bubble, Buell footpegs and revamped seat.  I have a Ventura luggage system and tank bag that live on the bike and soft bags when I travel or need more storage.
206 mph on street legal electric ' Busa

Offline TheZman

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
Heli-bars, risers, double-bubble, Buell footpegs and revamped seat.  I have a Ventura luggage system and tank bag that live on the bike and soft bags when I travel or need more storage.
Nice.. Sounds like thise accessories made a difference enough that your touring on it. I wont be using the Busa for touring since i have a Road King for that but i definitely want to make it more comfortable.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
"Ghost geezer" had these or similar on his turbo bike.

Offline TheZman

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2018, 11:23:53 AM »
"Ghost geezer" had these or similar on his turbo bike.

Nice. Yeah i think new bars like that will make a huge difference how the bike feels and seating position for me since im so use to sitting up right while riding all my life on Harleys.