Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Mojave Magnum Done  (Read 6957 times)

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
Mojave Magnum Done
« on: May 06, 2018, 08:28:37 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/mojavemile/
Looks like the events at Mojave are ending.
Damn shame.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
Re: Mojave Magnum Done
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:55:55 PM »
To All Of Our Devoted Racers & Friends,
Sadly, the era of the Mojave Mile & Magnum events has come to a close.
We were informed on May 4 by the Mojave Airport that they would no longer support our events (or any test & tune events, for that matter) at their facility.
The letter I received from the Airport Manager, John Himes, reads, in part:

Mr. Borders,
"…we regret to inform you the FAA has requested we stop hosting time-trial events. It saddens us to end our relationship with you and your organization; we wish you continued success in your future endeavors. "

John Himes
Director of Operations
Mojave Air and Space Port
1434 Flightline
Mojave, CA 93501

Therefore, we are left with no choice other than to terminate the Mojave events permanently.  This was not our wish, but obviously we must yield to the Airport's position.
We have no other venues to explore in which to move the event, so we have made the decision to cease operations.
We leave you with fond memories of eight years of racing, hundreds of new friends, and a wish for success in all that you do in the future.

Mike, Keith, & Marsha
Partners, MKM Racing Promotions
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
Wonder if the FAA decision will effect any other venue?
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 04:57:05 AM »

One wonders.....................

It seems like on the paved tracks,
shortly after there has been a death,
that track is no longer available (for whatever reason)

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
I'd like to think that the decision was based on money alone but....
2 high profile incidents of someone running off the end of the track at Mojave makes me ponder.

Offline fj1289

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:20:53 AM »

The FAA’s policy seems to be based on a couple primary factors:
First is whether the airport has accepted Federal Airport Improvement Program (AIP) grant funds and is a “federally obligated airport”;
Second is whether the “non-aeronautical event” requires closing all the airport or just part (ie, can normal flying operations be conducted during the “non- aeronautical event”).   

During the Colorado Mile, the East-West runway remains operational and aircraft can taxi to/from all the hangars and ramps as needed without interference from the race.  Additionally, there are no commercial carriers utilizing the airfield. 

Im curious now about the other airfields currently in use.   

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 01:07:32 PM »
The Marion Indiana Airport (KMZZ) hosts the ShiftS3ctor 1/2 mile.  The airport remains open during the event.  How you may ask?  The tower is in direct contact with the event organizers with an open line.  When a plane needs to take-off or land, they stop the event for about 10 minutes. 
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline Landspeed Larry

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »
The Marion Indiana Airport (KMZZ) hosts the ShiftS3ctor 1/2 mile.  The airport remains open during the event.  How you may ask?  The tower is in direct contact with the event organizers with an open line.  When a plane needs to take-off or land, they stop the event for about 10 minutes. 
That is nothing new. Back in the 1960's I used to drag race on the York, Pa. runway. They would shut down for landings and I had to do that so Dwight Eisenhower could land to go to his Gettysburg farm. They also ran 4 wide races for what we now know as Pro Stock with Grumpy, Dyno and the gang. So the current NHRA's 4 wide is nothing new.  And Yes, I am that old. :mrgreen:  LSL
All motor all the time and a turbo now and then.

Offline 80 Theory

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 06:23:24 AM »
Grumpy....that brings back some memories.  I worked at Eagle Tool & Die in the mid 1970s (I'm not as old as Larry) which was two doors up from Grumpy's shop.  In the summer with the windows open we could hear every dyno pull from Grumpy's shop.  Sometimes the dyno pulls ended rather abruptly......SRD Race Cars was between Eagle and Grumpy.  They had a welder, I think his name was Jerry, that did a fantastic job of welding my Sportster cases back together after the counter shaft corner broke.  The Sportster was stroker, 4 13/16 stroke X 3 1/4 bore, small by todays standards.  At that time, I thought the Sportster was really fast.

But I'm off topic....too bad losing another track.  I wish folks would learn how to stop their vehicles...on the track.
Mike Brakel
2 club X 4 (ECTA Maxton, ECTA Wilmington, LTA, Texas)
(all motor, stock body)
Best 1 1/2 Mile: 225.300 MPH
Best 1 Mile: 224.327 MPH
Best Salt: 220.596
Best 1/2 Mile: 196.764

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »
Had a Sportster with a little 77 c.i. motor built by Lake Shore H-D in Waukegan,IL back in '79,that little bike beat up on a lot of people back in the day. :smilebig: Wanted a 92.5 c.i. like in Warner Riley's personal street bike(my hero back then)but they talked me out of it,said I'd most likely kill myself(and were probably right). :hys:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »
Had a Sportster with a little 77 c.i. motor built by Lake Shore H-D in Waukegan,IL back in '79,that little bike beat up on a lot of people back in the day. :smilebig: Wanted a 92.5 c.i. like in Warner Riley's personal street bike(my hero back then)but they talked me out of it,said I'd most likely kill myself(and were probably right). :hys:

I have a GREAT fondness for the Ironhead Sportster !

My first Bonneville bike was a 1972 factory XRTT
with a 1957 ironhead motor.

That engine eventually became 77 inches
(#.250 bore and 4 5/8 stroke) and went
175mph in the 3 miles. 
(That's about 185 mph @ sea level)

Had to wait until 1990 to go over 200 mph
with a sit-on bike - but it was 700cc on gasoline.

I bought my first sportster - a 1967 XLH - in 1968

Still own it after 50+ years......................

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 06:59:30 PM »
 :punk:

Only regret I really had with that bike was getting rid of the electric start,battery,etc. and going to a magneto with a kicker,could be a bitch to start at times. :lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:54 AM »

:punk:

Only regret I really had with that bike
was getting rid of the electric start,
battery, etc. and going
to a magneto with a kicker,
could be a bitch to start at times .

:lol:

1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »
 :hys: