Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: fuel issue  (Read 6337 times)

Offline loneraider

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
fuel issue
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »
Hello everyone thanks for letting me join.

i have a 2006 busa with a weird fuel issue.. couple weeks ago i decided to order a fuel pump off ebay ( new )  kit came with pump filter screens  ect.. direct fit  so for awhile now the bike had a hard time reving past 6 to 7 grand and higher.. so in goes the new fuel pump and strainer    bike ran great for 2 days approx   i let the gas go low so i could check the low gas light on bike   ( alls good  )  filled her up & drove to a buddys house and on our trip out it starts sputtering  just like the old pump but worse..putt putt all the way home 3 to 4 grand. heres the new issue...start the bike up runs fine for approx 10 min and than slowly lossess fuel or power  to the point it almost dies.  ya i thought i was walking home.. turn bike off   maybe a min    turn key on fuel pump is singing bikes starts right up  drive ok for a few minutes  than it starts it all over again.  starts to sputter lose rpm and power..im stumped at what is causing this..  i can only see one fuel hose with quick connects from tank to fuel rail , the hose is not kinked.... is it possible that letting the fuel in the tank run low it sucked up some dirt and messed up my fuel pump ?  why is it that if you reprime the pump when bike is shut off and fire it up again it runs great for a few min?  than acts up.

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
Re: fuel issue
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:40:10 PM »
When it starts sputtering try popping the gas cap. Could be creating a vacuum and causing issues
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline loneraider

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »
i took out the fuel pump  took it apart sprayed it all with carb cleaner blew it all out with compressed air   fuel pump screen looks clean with no gunk or dirt. The tank is clean i checked with flashlight and sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner.   i will test everything out in the morning.

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:38 PM »
When it starts sputtering try popping the gas cap. Could be creating a vacuum and causing issues

Yeah you wouldn't believe how much time I had in finding THAT problem.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline loneraider

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 08:08:56 PM »
this mornings test was good ,only drove for a few miles but she runs great. i did take apart the fuel pump and blew everything out and was a little more careful in assembling it this time.. maybe that's the difference.  a longer run tomorrow.

Offline Thomas

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »
the bike had a hard time reving past 6 to 7 grand and higher.
A bit offtopic but I had similar issue a while ago on zx10r. The symptoms were *exactly* like a faulty fuel pump. No power and sputter past 7-8k. It turned out to be a faulty side stand switch, it resonated at specific RPM and messed up with the ECU / ignition / injectors.
We guarantee fast service no matter how long it takes.

Offline loneraider

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »
bike is still not fixed   drove it today for 20 min and it died on the highway.. had to trailer it home WTF.. its not getting enough fuel,  poped the fuel door ,no diffrence  i can hear the pump prime when you turn the key and it does shut off after a couple of seconds.. i.m stummped. Why does it lose fuel presure after 15 min of riding?  getting tired of this.....

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 02:08:30 AM »
Feul line kinked?
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline Thomas

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 03:58:58 AM »
fuel filter clogged? service manual should have a procedure for testing fuel pump/filter/regulator assembly, something like testing fuel flow for specific amount of time
We guarantee fast service no matter how long it takes.

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 07:35:22 AM »
I've seen this before...typically the fuel pressure regulator O ring is tore or the housing is cracked.
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 11:06:08 PM »
Was the filter changed with the new pump , not the tea bag strainer  but the high pressure filter in the plastic housing ?
Many guys miss this and its normally the cause of the pump failure to begin with
Official Site Donor

Offline loneraider

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »
well i ordered a new pump again but this time i ordered the filter ( black one ) with the new regulator.. after reading what you folks said on here plus the chat forums & i.ve checked out various switches  tip over, fuel relay switch, everything points to it not getting fuel. i did try to clean out that big filter cause its $$ did this twice and the bike only ran for a few miles. if the fuel filter is clogged up maybe its putting enough strain on the fuel pump itself and reducing fuel output. That has to be it as much as i can guess.    letting bike sit until all the parts come in  I will keep you all updated on the results.

Offline loneraider

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
BREAKING NEWS   I got the issue fixed..lol    So mister dumbass here put the big oring thing on the pump end instead of the black filter housing.. It would hold  pressure for a short while and than slowly lose fuel pressure cause the pump would slip down a slight bit.   I pulled out the pump assembly and stuck it in a pail of gas and hooked up the wires and watched it and it was spraying out near theoring/ rubber gasket between the top part of the fuel pump and the black  filter housing.   its fixed.  I'm still going to install the new parts when they arrive but ill keep the ols ones as back up..  Thanks everyone for their help. :banana: