Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 06 Hayabusa wonít start after rebuild  (Read 58 times)

Online BladeOfKnight

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
06 Hayabusa wonít start after rebuild
« on: March 13, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »
Hello everyone. I recently finished reassembling my Hayabusa. I had gone through and fixed a handful of issues that the previous owner had caused/kept. I ended up taking apart the engine to swap cases since he had dropped the bike on a tool box and cracked the stator side of the case. I just took parts from one case and dropped them into the next. Besides cleaning up little deposits, the only thing I did was change out the piston rings.
I finally got the engine back on and everything in place and spent a day or so verifying everything was torqued right and connections were in place. I tried starting it last night but no luck. Hereís whatís going on:
-Engine cranks but no start
-Iíve double checked all connections... everywhere.
-Exhaust is light and white.
-occasionally Iíll hear a click and the starter will stop. Sounds like that click is coming from the starter areas.
-Fuel pump primes
-Tested with two separate batteries. Both checked good and charged
-the engine will start for a split second every now and then but die.
-twice the engine started running but sounded extremely rough. There was a vibrating sound coming from the engine somewhere. I was unable to determine where.

Hereís some other info that may or may not help:
-I just got a new PCV and installed it, but I uninstalled to check to see if that was the issue (still having the problem)
-new plugs of the right type (same as previous plugs too that worked)
-I got the FI light on a couple of starts. Havenít dug into it yet but upon a short look through everything looks good so far.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Online BladeOfKnight

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
Re: 06 Hayabusa wonít start after rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 02:25:52 PM »
Just found out that the ground I double checked three or four times had come loose due to a bad screw.
Engine starts now but there is that REALLY bad vibration still. Sounds like chattering. Kinda like a jackhammer would sound... engine would now probably stay running if I left it going if that helps.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
Cam timing may be off. If it is, you now likely have bent valves.

You did check to see what bearings were needed when changing cases rather than just putting the old ones in new cases right?
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.47, 175mph 1/8th mile  6.76, 216mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Online BladeOfKnight

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »
I had someone back me up on cam timing to ensure it was correct, but it kinda sounds like thatís what it could be to me. Iíll be checking that again along with the valves.

Yes I did. The new cases came with all the bearings it needed too though.

I work late tonight so I wonít be able to check until later, but yeah itís bugging me haha

Online BladeOfKnight

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:43:27 PM »
Just to clarify: I got the bearings I need. The cases had matching numbers and they were new on the new case. Any other bearings I should have looked for? Just to be overly sure I went home and crosschecked the numbers on both cases.

Would the balancer cause a sound like that?

I did a decent job trying to oil and grease things up as I put it all together but I shouldnít expect any sort of crazy chattering sounds like this right? 😂

Online BladeOfKnight

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »
Actually the topic shifted from ďwonít startĒ to ďwhy does it sound like someone put a bag of nails in my engineĒ so Iím gonna make a new post.
End result for this topic: check your connections. Sometimes stripped screws donít go in all the way 😂