Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 06 Hayabusa won’t start after rebuild  (Read 6384 times)

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
06 Hayabusa won’t start after rebuild
« on: March 13, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »
Hello everyone. I recently finished reassembling my Hayabusa. I had gone through and fixed a handful of issues that the previous owner had caused/kept. I ended up taking apart the engine to swap cases since he had dropped the bike on a tool box and cracked the stator side of the case. I just took parts from one case and dropped them into the next. Besides cleaning up little deposits, the only thing I did was change out the piston rings.
I finally got the engine back on and everything in place and spent a day or so verifying everything was torqued right and connections were in place. I tried starting it last night but no luck. Here’s what’s going on:
-Engine cranks but no start
-I’ve double checked all connections... everywhere.
-Exhaust is light and white.
-occasionally I’ll hear a click and the starter will stop. Sounds like that click is coming from the starter areas.
-Fuel pump primes
-Tested with two separate batteries. Both checked good and charged
-the engine will start for a split second every now and then but die.
-twice the engine started running but sounded extremely rough. There was a vibrating sound coming from the engine somewhere. I was unable to determine where.

Here’s some other info that may or may not help:
-I just got a new PCV and installed it, but I uninstalled to check to see if that was the issue (still having the problem)
-new plugs of the right type (same as previous plugs too that worked)
-I got the FI light on a couple of starts. Haven’t dug into it yet but upon a short look through everything looks good so far.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
Re: 06 Hayabusa won’t start after rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 02:25:52 PM »
Just found out that the ground I double checked three or four times had come loose due to a bad screw.
Engine starts now but there is that REALLY bad vibration still. Sounds like chattering. Kinda like a jackhammer would sound... engine would now probably stay running if I left it going if that helps.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
Cam timing may be off. If it is, you now likely have bent valves.

You did check to see what bearings were needed when changing cases rather than just putting the old ones in new cases right?
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »
I had someone back me up on cam timing to ensure it was correct, but it kinda sounds like that’s what it could be to me. I’ll be checking that again along with the valves.

Yes I did. The new cases came with all the bearings it needed too though.

I work late tonight so I won’t be able to check until later, but yeah it’s bugging me haha

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:43:27 PM »
Just to clarify: I got the bearings I need. The cases had matching numbers and they were new on the new case. Any other bearings I should have looked for? Just to be overly sure I went home and crosschecked the numbers on both cases.

Would the balancer cause a sound like that?

I did a decent job trying to oil and grease things up as I put it all together but I shouldn’t expect any sort of crazy chattering sounds like this right? 😂

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »
Actually the topic shifted from “won’t start” to “why does it sound like someone put a bag of nails in my engine” so I’m gonna make a new post.
End result for this topic: check your connections. Sometimes stripped screws don’t go in all the way 😂

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 06:29:55 AM »
Blade, I believe John was asking if you bothered to measure the crank pins, and case bores (torqued empty), to measure the gaps so you could order the correct replacements. Cases vary even with the same stamped case codes.

Following the chart can be misleading.

Hope you got the noise worked out.

A.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 09:33:11 PM »
Clutch basket?
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 12:03:45 AM »
Valves tapping pistons with cam timing off
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline HayabusaRider12

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 10:52:22 AM »
Hello again everyone. Sorry for the radio silence and thanks for all the help. I’ve been mid move and super busy. It definitely was the valves getting smacked. I must have bumped the bar when finishing my adjustment or something. I’m just glad it wasn’t something just hanging out inside or anything 😂
Anyways. I checked my valves and compression and thankfully everything seems to be alright. Bike is running now and runs very very well. Far better than before my whole rebuild ordeal. I’m super pleased.
Again thank you all for the help and input. I greatly appreciate your time and help.

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 11:29:23 AM »
Been there!
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 06:39:12 PM »
I used to wrong timing marks when putting the top end back together on my gs. I turned it over slowly with a socket wrench on the crank end, but I still bent 4 of the valves before I figured it out. In short, been there too.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Online ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 04:22:17 AM »
Happy she running for you

Now get out and ride! Be safe.
Closed course. Professional rider. Do not attempt.

Still privately owned and operated by Hayabusa owner enthusiasts. 2002, small  a/a kit, CF body

If it's in a truck or trailer, it's being stolen