Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Fred Vance's Bonneville Production Record Turns 10  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Landspeed Larry

• Rider
Fred Vance's Bonneville Production Record Turns 10
« on: August 14, 2019, 03:23:17 PM »
When Fred Vance stopped road racing his BMW he started to think about going to Bonneville where grey heads can still go fast and set records. In the Winter of 2008 he bought a 2007 Hayabusa from a local salvage yard. He brought it home checked the oil and installed a battery. It started right up but had a bad rod knock. No wonder the price was so good! Not deterred he bought another engine and installed it. That Summer he went to the Flats with his stocker and ran 190. The Bonneville bug had bitten and that Fall and Winter he researched how to go faster. He asked questions on this Forum and I answered as I had set the first Production record in 1999. After emails and phone calls Fred came to visit and as our friendship developed so did our plan. I had taken him to meet Bob Carpenter, Steve Knecum and rider Mark DeLuca. They all offered advice and we decided to use a Gen2 bottom end along with the Carpenter CNC head and cams. I found new rods and pistons on eBay for $100. as the Gen2 owner was building a turbo bike. Fred bit the bullet for a new crank as he did not want any more rod knocks. He and a friend assembled the engine in one of his rental storage units and after installing the engine he put on the stock exhaust with my mufflers which my friend Bill Cross had ingeniously removed the baffles and installed a straight pipe. Final stop was a visit to super tuner Johnny Cheese who made the motor work. Off to the Salt now chasing a 205 record. Fred managed to exceed that but was closely followed by the Gen2. Then Fred went into overdrive setting the record at 208. Not done yet he re-qualified at 208+ and then the next morning made a run that still amazes me 214. Final Record is 211.526 Miss you my friend, but the records and memories will long remain.  LSL

All motor all the time and a turbo now and then.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Fred Vance's Bonneville Production Record Turns 10
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 06:19:30 PM »
I never got to meet Fred. He sent me numerous ECU's in the early days of ECU flashing to flash with higher Rev limits. He always seemed like a good guy when talking to him. I don't recall what it was, but I remember something weird about the address he had me send the ecu's to at his storage facility got me every time.

-John
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »
Larry, thanks for the background on Fred. His records will be tough to beat, even with good salt. RIP.

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
Listening to live streaming and heard someone make an attempt on one of Freds records , speeds are well down due to conditions
While i firmly believe records must be bumped up occasionally for our sport to progress, i am glad Freds still stands
Official Site Donor

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 11:32:08 AM »
Saw Johnny Cheese was running a bike, heard a rumor it was one of Fred's old bikes----
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »
I have photo evidence :)  Looks like he got into the 180s, which seems very impressive for the conditions. Hope he gets better salt next time. 

Offline Landspeed Larry

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 01:52:51 PM »
Fred was there. His widow Bonnye dropped him off so he will be staying.  :newangel:   LSL
All motor all the time and a turbo now and then.