Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Factory decal/graphic removal, and install help please.  (Read 5248 times)

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
Factory decal/graphic removal, and install help please.
« on: July 08, 2019, 09:00:13 PM »
Morning all,

Gouged up the decal on the nose cowl while installing the lower side cowling.  Scratched and gouged the factory decal.  Purchased a set from Bikebandit, and need a refresher on the "removing" of the factory graphic, and "installing", more importantly, a new one. 

Did this once before, and remember using liquid dish soap and water to install the decal, maybe ?......

Anyone got a tried and true remove/install procedure ?.

Much thanks for the read !.

A.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Online ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
Re: Factory decal/graphic removal, and install help please.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 10:42:22 PM »
Spend some time learning

Learning who is best at decals in your region, then go to them and throw money at them until they relent and agree to do the job if you don't tell anybody. :lol:

I never learn. I always tackle decal removal with the patience of a rhino. Find it, charge right in. Same with applying. You are correct, a few drops of the clear blue morning dish soap in warm water creates a nice lubricating film that dries quickly and seems to increase stick. Get it close, fine tune it by checking the view from several angles quickly while it is still wet. If you have a good eye you got this. Worst case scenario you buy another sticker :lol:
Closed course. Professional rider. Do not attempt.

Still privately owned and operated by Hayabusa owner enthusiasts. 2002, small  a/a kit, CF body

If it's in a truck or trailer, it's being stolen

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »
LOL ! I was a bull in a china shop last time. Got the decal off, but then took quite a while getting the blue adhesive off that was under the decal. Been probably 12, or 13 years since I did it. Overhauled entire Hayabusa's since then. Just couldn't remember if there was a better, cleaner way of doing it. In so many years of being around the Board I have found it wiser to put out the inquiry, and gain other's insight. There are so many bright, knowledgable people around here, why not ask ?.

Thanks for the help !

A.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Online ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 05:00:10 PM »
Use a heat gun but be careful :lol:

Warm it up a lil first before you peel...

Still privately owned and operated by Hayabusa owner enthusiasts. 2002, small  a/a kit, CF body

Online ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 05:02:21 PM »
Then use tape or a tape roller to pick up any adhesive left behind

Online ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 05:03:04 PM »
Just keep going over it until you get it all.

Online ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 05:06:14 PM »
Take your time and remember, somewhere there is a Busa pilot that was a five year old kid last time you did this.

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 05:58:50 AM »
That last entry seems rather sobering.... :biggrin:

Yes, yes they were five years old....Oh dear God !.

My question: What are you referring to as a "tape roller". Like a "lint" roller ?.  I'll brake out the heat gun, but that one has me stumped.

Thanks for the anecdotes, and smiles !.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:00:35 AM by LVBUSA »

Online ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
Uh

I guess tape roller is just another made-up name that stuck. You know how that is, Las Vegas Busa :lol: When you get one that sticks, you keep it

So yeah, I just take some good masking tape, or I have used whatever's handy that has stickum. That's another one-off name :lol:

Take a strip of it long enough to wrap around your hand twice. Then go around your hand twice with it, overlapping, stickum out. :D

Then lay it on the goop you want to remove and race around like you're playing tank track :lol:

I'm always open to any better, sane ideas.

Online ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 04:32:16 PM »
BTW, Sloppy works just as well as meticulous, but faster :lol: