Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Tires  (Read 4372 times)

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
Tires
« on: September 15, 2021, 04:31:57 PM »
Jim Higgins had a rear tire destroy itself at 190mph on Bonneville at the SCTA Speedweek event this year, Jack Frost had one go at 240mph at the Straightliners event at Elvinigton this past weekend,, both tires "appear" to have suffered the same/similer failure, in that there was a section completely separated from said tires,,

I'm not computer smart so if somewon could post photos, apricate it,,

In the interest of safety lets get the conversation started
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:33:28 PM by FlaminRoo »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle 200mph at Bonneville,,

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 08:21:02 AM »
From my sources, the tire that seperated at Elvington was a  Dunlop Sportmax GPR300.
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 05:57:51 AM »
im told that Jims tire was a brand new Bridgestone R-11

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 01:57:56 PM »
It would be interesting to know what tires failed, and those that didn't fail. With different surfaces, HP, weight, speeds, there are lots of factors to untangle. Probably not enough data points to make much sense of it. Maybe if all the sanctioning bodies required record keeping from the racers, but I don't see that happening.

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 04:25:09 PM »
Tire failure in the past has been mainly due to blistering, however these two recent failures are next level, as tho somewon took a dropsaw and cut a section out, causing the tire to completely part company with the rim,,

As stated in my above comment, I do not have the computer smarts to share photos, if somewon on here could post  photo's of Jim's and Jack's tire failures, it would be pretty much self explanetery  :)

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 12:35:23 PM »
Will try--mine first, then jack's
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 11:25:04 AM »
I've never seen a tire fail that way - how the hell could the radial fiber / thread separate at one point like that? I can't imagine how anything could cut all the way through a tire?

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 03:35:23 PM »
Yeah give me the old chunk the middle out of the tire any day over that
That was the first of the new tires to see use, the old BT003 are all timing out and those RS11 and 10 were to be our replacements , Jim and i had talked it over a bit and the later generation tires seemed to be a good option to replace the old reliable ones
The Aussie bikes had them mounted in March and never turned a tire due to wind then rain, fairly sure i will be removing them and going to something like the Dunlop slicks Ralph used to run

I have had one go sort of like that on the dyno, i suspected it lost some air first as it felt odd just before the bang , tire seemed to begin delaminating then tore as it jammed
Official Site Donor

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 08:48:10 PM »
Yeah.
..fuck that.
No thanks.  I'll stuck to 1/4 mile LSR.

:fro:
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »
Since the SCTA is a bit picky about 200+ tires, and the manufacturers change their naming frequently, I bought a set of Michelin slicks, that have the harder middle compound. Will try on salt next year I hope. One thing to be careful of with slicks is that they are mounted in the correct direction. My local shop asked me if it mattered  :shock:

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 07:21:47 PM »
"Thanks Jim" for posting pictures,, Was discussing this with Stevieboywonder and we are thinking that there is, at first, a cross sectional failure due to pressure loss (?????), then the second and third failures are due to the tire whipping into the rear subframe/swingarm :?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 07:27:33 PM by FlaminRoo »

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 07:10:48 PM »
Yeah give me the old chunk the middle out of the tire any day over that
That was the first of the new tires to see use, the old BT003 are all timing out and those RS11 and 10 were to be our replacements , Jim and i had talked it over a bit and the later generation tires seemed to be a good option to replace the old reliable ones
The Aussie bikes had them mounted in March and never turned a tire due to wind then rain, fairly sure i will be removing them and going to something like the Dunlop slicks Ralph used to run

I have had one go sort of like that on the dyno, i suspected it lost some air first as it felt odd just before the bang , tire seemed to begin delaminating then tore as it jammed

Greg, can you provide the actual tire/slick designation that Ralph used ?

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »
Will try--mine first, then jack's

RIP tires, I wonder what type of stunt did you do for it to turn out like that.  :bah:

Was no stunt, at 190mph, 230mph,, shits get real, serious safety concern

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 11:46:31 PM »
Hard to say, Ron, it happened really fast--- heard a muffled boom-- sounded similar to when I lost a rod at Colorado Mile-- looked down and saw engine still running and no oil light---then tire left me and I was slowing fast and unable to turn the bike as it dug into the salt.
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 06:01:18 AM »
Jim, when it happened you said that you thought something on track may have cut the tire,, now after what appears to have been a similar tire failure on Jack Frosts bike, your thoughts ??

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2021, 07:21:04 PM »
been quiet on this thread, so I decided to do a little resurch of my own,,

I haven't seen the 2021 SCTA,AMA tire requirement rules, but based on the DLRA rules which are one year behind the SCTA rules, it states :- "201+ = In excess of 200mph special tires for racing as designated by the manufacture must be used" note, there is no mention of tire's speed rating requirement,,

The Bridgestone R-11 is a tire specially designed for circuit racing (R = Racing), with a speed rating of "V" yes folks that's 149mph !!

However the Bridgestone RS-11 is a Racing/Street (RS) designated tire with a speed rating of (W) at 168+mph

The way I read this is that the R-11 being a "special" tire for racing is\was meeting the rule books requirements, however the oversight was the speed rating on this particular tire,,
I would suggest that the RS-11, with a speed rating of (W) same as the old Bridgestone 003 would be a better choice to use

Offline fj1289

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
A bit of a crossover from the Voxan/Biaggi thread - while searching for current info on that effort (and failing) - found this snippet in an earlier article:
“ Being French, it’s no surprise Voxan turned to Michelin to provide tires for its project. What is a surprise is the fact the Wattman uses completely standard tires you and I can buy off the shelf – the Michelin Power RS+, to be exact. They’re rated at 350 km/h (217 mph), but because safety is obviously most important, Michelin and Voxan jointly bench tested the rubber to verify it was able to withstand speeds 100 km/h faster (280 mph). Both parties agreed this was an acceptable buffer.”
From: https://www.motorcycle.com/features/voxan-and-max-biaggi-set-11-new-electric-world-records.html

Wonder how this was tested?  How it was documented?  Can this testing and documentation be accepted by other sanctioning bodies?  How expensive/time consuming would the effort be with another tire?