Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: "fast" blinkers on new tail  (Read 7670 times)

Offline gynx

• Rider
"fast" blinkers on new tail
« on: December 30, 2002, 10:38:00 AM »
Hello all-

I just finished installing a FSD undertail with LED blinkers.  The install wasn't too bad, but now my blinker blink fast.  I know I have heard of this problem before, but I don't remember the fix (or even if there was one).  Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
gynx

Offline TaoBusa

• Post Master
    • Yorihey.com
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 12:25:00 PM »
Either get a new flash relay or add a power resistor, in parallel, before each bulb. You need 6.8 ohm resistors rated at 20-25 watts for each bulb.

It is easier to switch the relay, but slightly cheaper to use resistors. Your choice.

Offline gynx

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 12:57:00 PM »
A new flash relay sounds like the option for me, but I don't know what to get.  Obviously a stock suzuki one won't work.  Where can I get one?  And what do I ask for?

Thanks alot,
gynx

Offline bidwell

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 12:59:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Narcissus:
Either get a new flash relay or add a power resistor, in parallel, before each bulb. You need 6.8 ohm resistors rated at 20-25 watts for each bulb.

It is easier to switch the relay, but slightly cheaper to use resistors. Your choice.

I also have the fast blink problem with LED turn signals.  I tried power resistors and it did work but required something on the order of one ohm, a 6 ohm made no difference for me (maybe I did something wrong).  Could you elaborate on exactly what relay and where to get it?  Is it a plug in or does it require splicing?  The Busa unit is not your typical auto type which I tried with no luck.  Someone else mentioned a capacitor relay, but when asked, the parts person doesn't know what I'm talking about.  Any additional info would be appreciated!

bidwell
Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does.

Offline Johnnycheese

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 01:18:00 PM »
12volt flasher relay from Pepeboys 1.99
then you find the 2 wires to the OEM flasher(it is in the sidestand relay box) remove the wires and install them on the new flasher.
I will double check the colors before I post them
Official Site Tuner

Offline gynx

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 01:25:00 PM »
sounds cheap enough to me.  I would love to have the colors when you have time to get to them.

thanks again
gynx

Offline Johnnycheese

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 01:44:00 PM »
the colors are
light blue
Orange with a geen stripe
Official Site Tuner

Offline gynx

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 02:00:00 PM »
Thanks alot Johnny -- I appreciate the effort.  I'll probably give it a try tonight.
gynx

Offline gynx

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2002, 08:32:00 AM »
I found this while looking for a solution.

http://www.libertek.com/freedomthrutechnology.html

look under products and you'll see an adjustable flasher relay.  It's kinda pricey ($35).

I haven't tried the standard automotive relay yet, but I probably will try that first (much cheaper).

Thanks for all the responses.
gynx

Offline Inf Soja

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2002, 04:42:00 PM »
I've had my undertail for two years and I just got used to the blinkers blinking faster. It bothered me at first but now it's second nature.

Soja
Ride at your own pace.

Offline blubus

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »
gynx, on another thread you were complaining about the undertail install. so do you still think the FSD undertails are shit? That sucks cause I was thinking about getting one. I really thought they were the best looking ones out.
Just cause it fits doesn't mean it looks right!

Offline gynx

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2003, 12:39:00 PM »
blubus -
The installation was (and still is) very difficult.  The actual quality of the piece seems nice.  I also think that it looked the best.  I also liked the mototek, but went with the fsd because the location of the blinkers on the mototek.
Anyway.  I believe that I would have been much better off, if I would've just filled in the holes they had pre-drilled and drilled my own.  FSD says that you should use the stock push rivets to attach the tail.  They won't work, because the fsd plastic to too thick.  So now, I am left to find my own method of attachment.  Bolt and nut was my first choice, but it is very difficult.  Now I am still kinda unsure of what to use.  Everyday I think of some new way to attach it and then I try it and am unhappy with it.  Oh well, guess I'll keep trying.
gynx

Offline ricochet

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2003, 01:01:00 PM »
Gynx,

I recommend the Libertek Flash Relay. Its worth its money.  I've been using it for about a year and it works great.  Very easy installation and you can control the rate of blinking.

Just a thought...
What were you thinking?!?!? You can't catch me!

Offline Rocket Man

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »
Do yourself a faver and do it the easy way.

Remove your front blinker lamps and neatly solder the terminals at the base of lamp together. Pop them back in and your done.

The stock lamps have two fillaments in them, and your LED's act like they have one. This upsets the balance of things.
Feel the fear, do it anyway

Offline bidwell

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2003, 08:08:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by gynx:
blubus -
The installation was (and still is) very difficult.  The actual quality of the piece seems nice.  I also think that it looked the best.  I also liked the mototek, but went with the fsd because the location of the blinkers on the mototek.
Anyway.  I believe that I would have been much better off, if I would've just filled in the holes they had pre-drilled and drilled my own.  FSD says that you should use the stock push rivets to attach the tail.  They won't work, because the fsd plastic to too thick.  So now, I am left to find my own method of attachment.  Bolt and nut was my first choice, but it is very difficult.  Now I am still kinda unsure of what to use.  Everyday I think of some new way to attach it and then I try it and am unhappy with it.  Oh well, guess I'll keep trying.

gynx: I had the same problem trying to attach my undertail using the plastic rivets.  I used epoxy to fasten nuts to the back side of the holes and used the corresponding bolts to fasten it to the bike.  The epoxy can be purchased at WalMart, it comes in a clear cylinder, and is blue with a white center.  You just roll it in your hands until the color is consistant and apply it quickly.  It will be rock hard in 30 minutes.  I can't tell you how many times it was used successfully for different projects.

I normally don't have good luck with these type of projects, but if I say so myself, it turned out pretty well.

http://community.webshots.com/album/52164070uzSdCp

bidwell
Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does.