Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: bearing failures  (Read 23329 times)

Offline SJJBusa

• Mad Post Whore
bearing failures
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2002, 09:36:00 PM »
quote:
This is what I did to help the problem
1 high volume oil pump gear
2 modified the oil pump pressure relief valve
3 I put case studs to keep cases from flexing

Just curious as to what you did to the pressure relief valve?

SJJBusa

Offline spdingtkts

• Rider
bearing failures
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2002, 01:30:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by MOTORHEAD:
many have blocked the squirters

Have you found that this helps?
I've yet to see a decent JE piston.  All the ones that have come through my door are big heavy clunky items.

Offline spdingtkts

• Rider
bearing failures
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2002, 01:34:00 AM »
Another thing that I was curious about was restricting some of the oil to the top end. I know that Kawasaki uses smaller oil lines on the ZX7R in Superbike trim. That is in conjunction with smaller pump gears that they spin slower.

One thing that comes with spinning the pump faster is cavitation.
I've yet to see a decent JE piston.  All the ones that have come through my door are big heavy clunky items.

Offline dragzooks@indy

• Post Master
bearing failures
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2002, 02:29:00 AM »
i think the oil squirters being restricted may help, but again, one of the engines i spoke of earlier was a coby built stroker and it had this done and some rather large eye shaped radius chamfers on the crank's oil holes and it still lost bearings after a handful of passes and absolutely no street time
and yeah just cause it happened to me or a friend with these mods i know that doesnt mean it isnt a proper fix
i'm just stating my experiences

badbusa- i want to try that oil line mod you did
if you could take a picture i like to see exactly where you are tapping and feeding the main-THANKS

Motorhead-can that lab you use tell anything by examining a damaged bearing or will they only be able to tell the obvious-THERE HAS BEEN CONTACT

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
bearing failures
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2002, 07:17:00 AM »
Doing oil analysis as you put some miles an a new hipo motor seems smart to me.  It is done all the time with big bux diesels, turbines and compressors.  After a wear baseline is established, oil analysis will tell you when a bearing is going.

Offline Badbusa1

• Rider
bearing failures
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2002, 07:38:00 PM »
Dragzooks,

I dont have a digital camera.    
 However this is very easy to do your self , If your building engines you can do this easily.

Just take a drill bit the size of the gallery that feeds the #1  main. Lay your lower case on something so you can drill straight thru. drill thru from the top to the bottom. turn the case over and drill a larger hole 1/2 way up , what I used was a 1/4 in 90DEG fitting like on a NOS feed line,  I used all stainless braided line and anodized fittings so it looked professionally done instead of a JERRY RIG. I had a line made the was just long enough to reach so it was neat and tidy.

the main gallery has a clean out on the right side of the engine just above the oil sending unit , That is where I fed the line from.

Its easy after you look at it.
BTW  I left out odvious things like TAPPING the hole and TEFLON tape  

Offline Badbusa1

• Rider
bearing failures
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2002, 07:41:00 PM »
Sjjbusa

you shim it kinda like you would on a car oil pump pressure relief valve, take it to your local high perf. bike shop they will know what to do.