TECHNICAL > ALL MOTOR TALK

1397 won't start when warm

(1/4) > >>

Slayer:
I just got my motor running last week but now it won't start when warm. It turns over but too slowly to start.
It starts fine when cold although it may be turning over a little slowly then too. Do I need to get a higher CCA battery since it's a 1397 or is my battery getting old? The battery sat for about 7 mos. before I put it back in the bike. It's the stock battery and I haven't replaced it since I bought the bike in Oct. of 2000.

TIA for any help.

Steve A:
I'd certainly suggest a new battery.  The Honda one has more amps than the stock one, a battery is a lot cheaper than running the risk of hurting the starter.  I don't know the part # of the one that fits the Honda but a number of people on the board have said they are using it so someone will be happy to post it, I'm sure.

Slayer:
Geez, Steve A, you're everywhere!    
I ran a search for the Honda battery, here's what I found:

Yuasa YTZ14S exclusive for Honda -- part # 31500-MCR-D02. Approx $116.00. Has 30 CCA more than stock Busa battery and fits in battery box. This battery helps but you may need a 24v setup for a high compression big bore motor.

I hope I don't need the 24v setup, it sounds complicated and I get real nervous doing electrical work.  

BUGSY:
That's the battery the guys were recommending about.....  

goose:
When u are starting it hot try to crack the throttle open about quarter of turn and push the button.. if that does not work u need a new battery........the motor may still be tight from assy needs to be broken in....  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version