Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Gearbox problems?  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Tomdez

• Rider
Gearbox problems?
« on: June 12, 2003, 10:01:00 PM »
I recently started to notice problems with my 2000 Busa with 12,500 miles  when shifting between 5th and 6th gear.It seemed like the gear wasnt catching properly. But only occasionaly.I thought maybe a clutch problem. Tonight it got much worse. There is now a nuetral between 5th and 6th. It requires two shifts, up or down between those two gears. The first shift seems to go between gears, I can rev the engine with no power getting to the wheel. Now a serious grating noise can be heard while in any gear. If I let the clutch out in nuetral, a loud grinding noise comes from the gear box. It is not rideable without grinding and false nuetrals in all gears. The bike has never been raced , the clutch never abused. I have gotten false nuetrals between 5th and 6th since the bike was new. I had adjusted the shift lever down one spline a while ago. That seemed to stop the false nuetrals.I'm hoping it will get to the dealer. Any ideas? Could my gears be stripped? Any input will be appreciated.

THEMOTORHEAD

Gearbox problems?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 03:30:00 AM »
YA THE FALSE NEUTRALS WERE A COMMON PROBLEM ON ALL THE EARLIER BUSAS
PROBLEM IS SOMETIMES IT BENT THE SHIFT FORK IN THE BREAK IN PROCESS
AND OF COURSE LATER CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS LIKE YOU DISCRIBE
PROBLEM IS NOW YOU NEED TO PULL IT DOWN AND REPLCE WHATS BAD
DRUMS MOSTLIKELY TOAST AS WELL AS ATLEAST THE CENTER FORK
AND POSSIBLY THE 2 GEARS

THEMOTORHEAD

Gearbox problems?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 03:31:00 AM »
OH YA IF YOU BRING IT HERE THE BIKE CAN BE FIXED IN 1 DAY WHILE YOU WAIT
I CARRY TRANNYS FOKS AND DRUMS IN STOCK

Offline crazybill

• Mad Post Whore
    • www.PortTechHeads.com
Gearbox problems?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 04:03:00 AM »
dennis , you doing them with the motor in the bike ? im getting ready to try that with mine... wondered what ya can tell me about that ?
“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a builder who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”

Offline Tomdez

• Rider
Gearbox problems?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 07:44:00 AM »
Motorhead,
    I purchased the Suzuki 3 year extended warranty in 2001. I am hoping that this will be covered. Do you do warranty work? If so I may be able to tow it out there if you feel its only a one day job. Also, if I do go to my local dealer, he is about 8 miles away. Could riding there do further damage?

THEMOTORHEAD

Gearbox problems?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 08:33:00 AM »
IF THE WARRANTY IS NOT SUZUKI YES

Offline Tomdez

• Rider
Gearbox problems?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 08:44:00 AM »
I beleive it is a Suzuki warranty. I will check for sure...........

Offline silver bullet

• Apprentice Post Whore
Gearbox problems?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 02:47:00 PM »
please briefly describe how you can do a tranny job while the motor is still in the bike,,,please and thanks
see you in my mirrors!!!!! oh wait I don't have any!!!!!!!

Offline crazybill

• Mad Post Whore
    • www.PortTechHeads.com
Gearbox problems?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 03:56:00 PM »
i think he means just changing bent forks . ive been laying under my bike looking into the tranny and i know how the drum comes out , i know how the forks come out . just cant see how you can pull one out sideways with the fork tab in the drum slot and them held together by the cases being together    
right now im pondering just saying fuck it and tearing into it... see what happens...
my bike pops out of first on extreamly hard launches.... i could probably just take the bars off and  go back to sprung suspension and get by with my tranny as is for awhile . thats my dilemma...  
“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a builder who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”

THEMOTORHEAD

Gearbox problems?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 07:04:00 PM »
I NEVER SAID IN BIKE
I SAID WHILE YOU WAIT
I DO SEVERAL BUSAS A WEEK
TRUST ME I CAN DO IT WITH MY EYES CLOSED

Offline tfracing

• Rider
Gearbox problems?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2003, 08:28:00 AM »
Motorhead, is it possible to remove the forks while the cases are together? Like the old GS engines after a small mod.

Have mine apart right now waiting on forks and drum. Didn't know you had them in stock. Having trouble shifting between 3 and 4 on the strip.
Had R&D do the tranny last winter. Hate to think it is the gearing, although the dogs on 3 are suspect.
Think Fast!