Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 13:1 and pump gas?  (Read 4921 times)

Offline HP

• Post Whore
13:1 and pump gas?
« on: July 04, 2003, 05:33:00 PM »
Im looking into a set of JE 1397 13:1 pistons, is this set up compatible with 92 or am I going to be detonating?

Offline AncientRgn

• Rider
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »
if you mean pump gas, yes its compatible.

Offline Todd

• Mad Post Whore
  • JunkScience.com
    • Hayabusa vs ZX-12R
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 09:38:00 PM »
Those are the pistons I'm running and I go out of my way (9 miles one way) to get 93 octane.  Runs great!

Of course the alternative is 91 octane everywhere else.  Next closest 93 octane is the next state and 35 miles one way.  I would be afraid to go full throttle/redline with 91.  92 is borderline since I know of at least one 13:1 Busa owner who has had pinging in very hot weather even with 93.  I haven't noticed that myself but he's a full time drag racer.

I need the 93 for the Busa, turbo car and supercharged car so I'm starting to get used to the drive ....
Liberals always manage to take the position that most undermines American security.

Offline Scary-Jerry

• Mad Post Whore
  • A Real Street Bike!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 12:58:00 AM »
I threw a rod and damaged two other rod journals with pump gas and 13:1.  You won't hear the detonation!

1999: RCC 'Custom' Stage II Intercooled Turbo System, AMS1000, GSXR Front End & Wheels, Trac Swingarm, Elka Shock, Cut Tank, & a lot of Carbon...

Offline HP

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 03:58:00 AM »
Yeah I almost went that route but after riding this weekend I not only think 200 rwhp is excessive but Its difficult trying to imagine riding a busa with a turbo as well.

Im just having the head sent off to a machine shop to get cleaned up, and a set of yosh cams installed along with the full airbox mod. Hopefully that will get me from 159 to possibly 180 with good tuning.

Thanks for the advice, even if I wanted the power the thought of having to route a second battery under my hump didnt excite me either. If I ever feel the need for more than 1 hp per 3 lbs Ill go with a turbo.

Offline Fast Frank

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 02:27:00 PM »
firebusa
I have a Brock gen 2 pipe, small box mod,Yosh cams set at 103/105, PCII-I made 180-182, a few more w/ the "pair sucker"

If you can't get 180 h.p. w/ Yosh cams w/ out touching the head etc..There is a serious problem!

A friend of mine has a low compression 1397 that motorhead did for him and hasn't had any problems for a year and a half-now he is having some "issues" w/ starting it etc...

I was going to a 12:1 1397 w/ Wiseco's (still might) But, this is making me really think about it!
01' Black/Silver,lots of mods
204+ @ Maxton

Offline HP

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2003, 06:52:00 PM »
Yeah Im hoping for 180, I got similar mods. Pair valve is gone, muzzy header/pipe, PC2, and Ill be doing the full airbox mod too. I am going with velocity's long stacks as thats what I heard is good for more power up top on a stock displacement motor.

I would really just add a dry nitrous set up and be done with it. You really dont need that kind of power on the street and it actually is less abusive on everything drivetrain related as well as you only use the power when you are at the strip.

If this isnt enough for me thats the direction Im going, dry nitrous only a 30 or 40 shot too.

Offline Johnnycheese

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2003, 07:56:00 PM »
you mean short stacks    
long better for low end grunt
short better for top end pull
Official Site Tuner

Offline HP

• Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 01:44:00 AM »
Yeah you think I should go with the short end stacks? I heard those are good for larger displacement, but I really dont need anymore tire spin coming out of the hole right now. Im having a barrel of moneys trying to modulate the wonderful hydraulic set up that those suzuki scientists have given us from the factory. I would rather have more power up top than more torque down low.

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 08:16:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by firebusa:
Yeah you think I should go with the short end stacks? I heard those are good for larger displacement, but I really dont need anymore tire spin coming out of the hole right now. Im having a barrel of moneys trying to modulate the wonderful hydraulic set up that those suzuki scientists have given us from the factory. I would rather have more power up top than more torque down low.

Read again. You will get more up top with all short stacks, you will lose some bottom end with short stacks. Less botom end, less wheel spin out of the hole!