Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: strage noise  (Read 6119 times)

Offline Beano_z

• Rider
    • http://I have none
strage noise
« on: June 05, 2003, 08:24:00 PM »
Hey,

Yesterday I did a little riding around town and at 3000-4000rpm I can hear a strange noise coming from the engine below me.  It seeme to come from under the air box.  Sounds like valves, a very fast ta-ta-ta-ta-ta and it dissapears at higher or lower revs.  Last time I hear this was on my 4x4 and they had to change te valves    

Anyone know what it is?
Beano

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
strage noise
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »
I would guess you have some valves that are at the upper limit of there specs.
it could also be the cam chain tensioner some say that they get a little noisy before they ratchet up another notch.  
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

Offline Beano_z

• Rider
strage noise
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 09:04:00 PM »
Is it really that bad?  Sounds like a serious problem to me.
What do you think I should do?  Here in the land of China there aren't any very good motorcycle garages.  I'm still hesitant about letting some-one open the engine....    
Some advice would be very helpful!
Beano

Offline BigBreath

• Apprentice Post Whore
strage noise
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 10:02:00 PM »
Don't feel bad.  There arn't any good garages in the United States either.  Your noise sounds like valves.  How many miles do you have on the machine and when was your clearance last checked?  
                        Good luck
                                 Tom  

Offline Beano_z

• Rider
strage noise
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 07:00:00 AM »
I've got about 10000 miles on mine.  I bought it secondhand.  I have no clue when the valve clearance was last checked...  
Beano

Offline Big Blue

• Post Master
strage noise
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 10:37:00 AM »
Man don't ride the bike around a lot because it could be something serious. I could be the valves, or it could be getting ready to spin a bearing on the crank. If it is a knock then I would say it is a rod bearing. Does the bike seem to have the same power? Just my 2 cents!!!
WARREN RACING!!!!!
2008 Orange/Black Busa Real Street Busa
2008 Orange/Black Bracket Busa
2008 Charcoal/Black Bracket Busa
2008 Harley Davidson Road Glide
2007 Black/Candy Chrome Blue Turbo Busa
1986 Buick Regal Grand National
2006 Chevy Corvette Z06

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
strage noise
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 12:46:00 PM »
It sounds like excessive valve clearance to me, if it is a ticking or clattering sound rather than a knock or deep solid sound. The 99 and 2000 models had a cam chain tensioner recall. There were two recalls, the first modified tensioner did not work, so the second recall required an oil pressure cam tensioner to be installed. I have a 2000 and delayed getting it done until 17,000 miles, never did make any noise or anything but after reading some of the posts on what happens when the tensioner gives out (destroys motor) I got mine done. The dealers will do it for free... I don't know how you would go about it. I have  not been active on the board much in the last year, but I seem to remember that you can raise the tank and see the fat oil line they installed for the 2nd generation tensioner. I would reccommend emailing Busa11K or Motorhead or one of the guys who are good mechanics and get some advise. Also, if it is making noise and the recall has not been done, don't ride it! Don't even start it! You can do a search and probably find lots of info on the cam chain tensioner. I have also heard that the oil actuated one can make a bit of noise just before it ratchets to the next level of tension, although I have almost 30,000 miles on mine and it never made any noise, before or after the new tensioner. The fuel filter and/or injector screen clogging problem was solved on the 2000 models, but you probably have the aluminum sub frame assembly, unless someone changed it. You can do a search on sub frames also. They have had cases of them cracking and causing crashes. Remove the front seat and check real good around the welds on the frame to subframe section . They broke on or near the welds. I put TTS frame braces on mine and check it regularly and have had no problems, even with over 100 pounds of luggage on long trips. It is not reccommended to install hard bags on it, especially Givi bags. Email me if you have a problem getting answers.... I don't check in here very often anymore.
Mike

Offline hayazuki

• Rider
strage noise
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 12:35:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Beano_z:
Hey,

Yesterday I did a little riding around town and at 3000-4000rpm I can hear a strange noise coming from the engine below me.  It seeme to come from under the air box.  Sounds like valves, a very fast ta-ta-ta-ta-ta and it dissapears at higher or lower revs.  Last time I hear this was on my 4x4 and they had to change te valves    

Anyone know what it is?

Don't know yet but I've got a 2002 with 1100 miles that sounds exactly the same. Sounds like a valve out of spec slightly and it occurs at 3400 to 3600 rpm with the motor very slightly loaded. Don't hear it any other time.

I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow if it doesn't rain and listen to their excuse of why it's either not a problem or if it is, it's not THEIR problem. ie - warranty

I remember the same sound and symptoms on a Kaw I used to have and I thought it was a loose valve but when I checked it turned out to be one too tight.

Offline Beano_z

• Rider
strage noise
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2003, 02:25:00 AM »
Right on hayasuki, the bike has to be ridden before this sound occurs, mine is only audible with my visor open.  But I asked about it to some of my friends and they all say that you'll be able to hear that noise even at idle, if it's somthing with the valves.

But anyway, please keep me updated with your progress, I'd really like to know what's wrong with my bike.  It's killing me because now I'm confined to my room because of SARS in China and because of the fact that I have to return to school to do my final exams.     I will not be able to see my bike for the next two weeks, even if I did I wouldn't have the time to take her to the garage...

Greetings from a worried person  
Beano

Offline hayazuki

• Rider
strage noise
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2003, 08:21:00 PM »
Okay Beano,

I took mine in to three shops here and got three different answers.

Dealer where I bought the bike sent out a tech to ride the bike. This guy rides and races a gxxr1 and he's a good mechanic. He came back and said he could hear the tapping , very slight and not all the time. He said not valves or we would hear it all the time. He thinks maybe one of the pair valves (part of the emission setup) is making the noise. He said 'nothing to be concerned about'.

Next was the only other Suzuki dealership in town. He rode the bike and said he thinks the sound is coming from a throttle postion sensor but it is so slight and intermittent it's hard to tell for sure. He says nothing abnormal at all.

Last to an independent performance bike shop. He said he wasn't sure where the tapping noise is coming from but is fairly certain it's not a valve. Again said if it was a valve out of spec it would be constant and not just at that particular engine speed. He also said he works on a lot of busa's and on stock cammed motors never has had to make a valve adjustment yet.

So for what it's worth I'm riding the piss outa mine...It's been in and checked and the service call is logged, the bike's under warranty so (if it doesn't get any worse) I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Offline Beano_z

• Rider
strage noise
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 09:25:00 AM »
Kewl!    

That's a big block off my chest!

Thanks for sharing this, I'll be out next week, so I'll able to ride my bike soon.  Good luck with yours!

Beano

Offline Pete

• Post Master
  • a.k.a 'Geri'
    • Pete's turbo build
strage noise
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 06:51:00 AM »
For what it's worth I am getting the same kind of noises on my RX model.It only happens under load at certain revs and is getting progressively worse.It sounds *a bit* like a cammy noise - not valve clearances I'd say.I'm investigating it and I'll report back if I figure it out.

Sure is disconcerting though!